KTM Owners Forum banner

The ideal helmet liner

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  jurassic 
#1 ·
Hi geezers,
I am looking for a couple of really good helmet liners. I have tried a few things and this is what I found.
The paper insert that protects the helmet liner from sweat, greasy hair or hair styling products (all popular down here) is fine for an open face, summer model.
The Buff synthetic neck scarf things are great at protecting my neck from bug blasts and chafing by the helmet strap after a dodgy shave. I quite like the Buff and it is seamless and easy to wash.
Balaclava types cover the neck and keep my ears more comfortable, especially if the helmet is on and off a few times. However, the ones I have used make my hair stand up incurably and give me a Gorbachevesque deep red mark down my forehead that lasts for more than an hour, due to a seam.
I never wore bandana style liners.

I suppose that I am looking for a very light and thin but durable seamless balaclava that does not grab my hair. Have you found one?

#2 ·
I have a Oxford Ultra Thin one its not a Barraclava but u tuck it in your jacket and pull off over your head and put the bottom on my chin and its like 1/10mm Thick. Really Finner the better with neck warmer cause with big fat padded things you cant get under your helmet ur tuck it in your jacket

This is like mine
http://www.oxford-shop.co.uk/item3289.htm

(Its Finner then the Picture because the Fat neck warmer is the same picture as the Thin)

#8 ·
I used to use a fireproof racing balaclava. Can't remember who made it, think it was sparco but it was seamless. I think they're quite pricey at about £20 or so, I got mine from work for free when we were doing a corporate day for shell.

Something to bear in mind is that when you wear your lid with a balaclava it will mould tothat shape. I noticed my helmet was "baggy" if I didn't wear it from then on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.