KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all heard tales of TomTom customer service being crap, I thought I'd share my exchanges with you guys. If you can't be arsed to read all 5000 words, the summary is basically this: their software's great, the hardware's ok-ish and the customer service is abysmal.

Case 1
Customer (Andy Duff) 25/10/2008 06.16 PM
My TomTom Rider's bike mount has drilled its way into the battery connections on the back of my Rider as a result it no longer charges up wile mounted to my bike. This left me without navigation on a 170-mile trip home last night which was slightly annoying to say the least. I understand that this is a common fault and that TomTom have been assisting users appropriately. I have had the unit since new in March 2007 and was expecting it to last a good deal longer than it has. I've attached a photo of the unit and the faulty connector.

Response (Chris V. (UK)) 27/10/2008 01.10 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.
Your reference for your query is 081025-001903.
To be able to create an RMA enabling you to send your unit in for repair, it is imperative that we receive the Serial Number for your device. Please update this incident from My Questions History in your TomTom account with this information. You will find the serial number on the lower part of the device, by the bar code, when you turn it upside down.
Please do not hesitate to contact us when you have additional queries.
With Best Regards
The TomTom Customer Support Team

Customer (Andy Duff) 27/10/2008 03.57 PM
My serial number is K13535A00422

Response (Chris V. (UK)) 28/10/2008 07.20 AM
Dear Mr Duff,
Thank you
Service Request Number DER3079605 has been created.
Within the next hour, you will receive a separate email with instructions in how to proceed. Please follow these instructions carefully in how to send your device away for repair.
If you do not receive this email within the next hour, please check your email spam filter.
Alternatively, you can log in to your account and click on 'Support -> My Repair and Service' and click on 'For RMA's that start with 3'
With Best Regards

Narrative: Device shipped off to TomTom, new connections fitted, new bike mount supplied, item returned promptly. Device went a bit nuts after a week & so raised new case.

Case 2
Customer (Andy Duff) 08/12/2008 10.01 PM
Since having my TomTom repaired recently, the application has become very unstable. On Friday last week the device rebooted itself while navigating and now refuses to go past the initial start-up screen (with the image of the bike handlebars). I have formatted and re-installed the application on both the original memory card and my 2gb card. I can get the unit to talk to a PC and TomTom home will happily update the device, however after re-installation the device crashes on first boot. It's now continually rebooting - a cycle which can only be broken by performing a hard reset.

Response (Bobbie F. (UK)) 10/12/2008 10.08 AM
Dear Mr Duff,
Your reference for your query is 081209-000001.
I realize that you have done some of these steps before but it is necessary to do this in order to determine of the Rider 1s faulty or the software inside the Rider 1s faulty (in which case this should clear up that issue).
If it does not please send us the serial number on the device.
On your device you may have a corrupt file that is causing the issues that you are experiencing. The solution to this is to completely remove the software from your device and reinstall it again as described in the steps below. Please ensure that you have the latest TomTom Home software installed on your computer:-
You can download and install the latest version of TomTom HOME from the following link:
http://www.tomtom.com/home
Once you have the latest version of TomTom Home installed, please follow these steps:-

STEP 1. Creating a Manual backup of your TomTom

• Charge your unit for at least two hours (preferably via the home charger)
• Perform a reset on your device (see: http://www.tomtom.com/6965 )

If you have not made a backup yet you can do so by making a manual backup of your TomTom. To do this, please look at the following web page:-

http://www.tomtom.com/3171#backup

• Connect your TomTom to the computer
• Open My Computer, you should see the TomTom as a removable drive, double click into it. (on a mac you will see the TomTom as a disk drive on your desktop)
• You will see a list of files and folders.
• Copy all of the folders on the TomTom, one by one to the backup folder.
• This can take up to 1 hour to complete depending on the device.
• If you get any error messages while copying, move on to the next folder and copy that to the backup folder.
• If possible, please make a note of any error message that occur while copying the folders, and make a note of which folder causes the error message.

IMPORTANT: We advise you to follow the next steps ONLY if you have made a successful backup of your device as described in step 1. If you are unable to complete step 1, please reply back with a list of yellow folders that you have managed to successfully copy to your PC and also reply back with any error messages that you receive at this point.

STEP 2. Format the hard-disk,

• Open 'My Computer'
• Right click on the TomTom icon (the device should be seen in drive E,F,G,H,I etc) and select 'Format'.
• Do a full format by selecting FAT 32 and click on Start, do not select 'quick format'. The TomTom is now formatted.
• Disconnect the TomTom from the computer and switch it on. It will load up with a red cross on the screen.
• Reset the TomTom with a paperclip in the reset hole for 30 seconds, see http://www.tomtom.com/6965 in how to do this.
• Once Reset, switch the TomTom off, disconnect it from the computer and then switch it back on again, it will still show a red cross on the screen.

STEP 3. Restore the Folders to the TomTom

• Connect your TomTom back to the computer and make sure it is switched on
• Go to your backup folder on your desktop, double left click into it. You will see all of your backup folders.
• Copy the folders one by one to the TomTom by right clicking on the folder, select copy then open My Computer, double left click onto the TomTom drive and choose paste.
• Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.
• Switch the TomTom back on.

STEP 4. Update your device
• Open TomTom Home
• Connect your device to the PC
• A list of updates should appear, if not, click on Update my Go
• Select only the program application update.
• Click on Update and Install.
• Once Installed, open TomTom Home
• Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device'.
• Turn the device off (with the on/off switch) and disconnect it from the computer.
• Switch your TomTom On to complete the installation.

The Application is now installed, and your TomTom should now be working.
STEP 5. Run the Clear Flash Tool
• Connect your TomTom to the computer
• Close TomTom Home. (on a PC, make sure you close TomTom Home from the system tray in the bottom right hand corner of your screen by the computer clock)
• Download and run the clear flash tool from : http://www.tomtom.com/updates/clear_flash/clear_flash.exe Make sure your TomTom is connected to the computer and switched on when you do this.
• Once Installed, open TomTom Home
• Click on 'Device -> Disconnect Device'.
• Switch your TomTom On to complete the installation.

The Application is now installed, and your TomTom should now be working.

* IMPORTANT *
If you have any issues with copying the contents of the TomTom to your PC and back again, please let us know and state what error messages, if any, that there are.
Please reply back with the details of what happens.
With Best Regards
Bobbie

Customer (Andy Duff) 12/12/2008 05.56 PM
I carried out the steps you advised on both of my SD cards with the following results:
Original 1Gb TomTom Card: formatted this and it now shows as being just 128mb in size so I can install the TomTom app, but none of the maps that I own.
My aftermarket 2GB Card: formatted OK, restored application, maps and configuration. Device is now stuck again in a continuous reboot. Have to reset the device to kill the reboot cycle. I think there is an issue with the Rider's onboard card reader.

Response (Bobbie F. (UK)) 15/12/2008 10.34 AM
Dear Mr Duff,
We will go ahead and send the device and card in for repair.
To be able to create an RMA enabling you to send your unit in for repair, we need to know the following information:-
- The Serial Number of your TomTom Device. You will find the serial number on the lower part of the device, by the bar code, when you turn it upside down.
- Which map is installed on your device? which can be found on the the box of your TomTom, e.g. is it a United Kingdom and Republic of Ireland map, or a Western Europe Map? If your device has an SD card, simply take the SD card out and state what is written on the sticker of the SD card itself.
- If possible, please state the version number of the map which can be found on the 'Show Version' menu.
Please update this incident from My Questions History in your TomTom account with this information.
Please do not hesitate to contact us when you have additional queries.
With Best Regards
Bobbie

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Customer (Andy Duff) 21/12/2008 05.55 PM
Hi,
The serial number of my TomTom Rider 1s K13535A00422
I have two maps. The OEM map (supplied on the original SD card) is a Great Britain map. I also have a western European map which I purchased and downloaded from your site. I can't tell you what version numbers I have as the device refuses to load up to a position where this information could be obtained. Neither map works on either SD card that I have.
Thanks,
Andy

Response (Mike M. (UK)) 22/12/2008 04.52 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
RMA DER3151878 has been created.
Please only return the item(s) requested : <Device and SD card>
Within a few working days time you will receive a box in the post from Royal Mail, it comes flat packaged, so you need to assemble it yourself.
** IMPORTANT **
Please send a COPY of your Receipt/Proof of Purchase, please do not send original receipts as you will need to keep that for your own records.
If you do not send a COPY of your receipt, it can also cause unnecessary delay with your repair.
If you do not have any form of receipt/proof of purchase, then a repair fee may be applied, of which you will need to pay for.
Please do not include any items that have not been requested, as they may not be returned to you. TomTom can not be liable for any Non-Requested items and non TomTom products that are sent in.
Only the specific items that are requested above should be sent in for repair.
If an SD card has been requested, please ensure that this is the original TomTom SD card and not a 3rd party SD card.
Once you have packed the above items in the Royal Mail box, you will then need to take this to your local post office. This is a guaranteed next day delivery our repair centre. It is advisable that you keep a copy of the tracking receipt, supplied by the post office, for your own records.
Once our repair centre has received your TomTom product, it normally takes between 5-10 working days for it to be repaired.
Your items will then be posted back to you once the repairs have been completed.
With Best Regards

Customer (Andy Duff) 22/01/2009 04.16 PM
I've attached my receipt as a pdf file below...

Narrative: Device shipped off to repair place in Renfrewshire & disappears for a month. Call TomTom to chase & speak to lurvelly Irish lass.

Response (DIS Catriona B. (UK)) 04/02/2009 02.15 PM
Dear Andy Duff,
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Please note your device is being repaired right now under warranty. You will receive the device as soon as possible.
With Best Regards
Catriona

Narrative: New case raised for some reason internal to TomTom

Response (DIS Catriona B. (UK)) 22/01/2009 03.38 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
Your reference for your query is 090122-006427.
We have Escalated your case to our Logistics Team for investigation. It can take a few working days to find out what has happened to your Repair RMA.
Please bear with us while we look into your case.
Many Apologies for the inconvenience caused. We hope to have resolved your query shortly.
If you have any further queries, please contact us in the meantime. The reference for your case is 090122-006427
Our Contact Details can be found at : - http://www.tomtom.com/368
With Best Regards,
Catriona

Narrative: Case detail goes awry for some reason & details for a different case are entered into this one. Item shipped back and found to not work at all...

Case 4
Customer (Andy Duff) 08/03/2009 09.50 PM
So this is no longer funny. The monkeys who you have twice assigned to repair my TomTom Rider 1 seemingly do little other than fix the useless rubber strip on the access door and ship the device back to me with a new 'leash' .

The saga so far:
In autumn last year my Rider started to lose power while connected to the bike. On inspection it was found that the sprung pin contacts on the mount had drilled their way into the power connector on the back of the unit. The device was shipped back to you and a repair was effected.
On return of the product it was found that the device had taken to continually reboot itself when using my SanDisk 2gb card with the European maps that I'd bought off your website. I had an original TomTom 1gb memory card, but this then decided that when inserted into the device that it would proclaim itself to having the storage capacity of a gnats iPod (128mb) and generally fail to do anything in particular. I tried re-installing the software, formatting the cards and all the other requested tasks, to no avail.
An RMA was raised and the unit again disappeared...
...FOR A MONTH!
During which time I can only assume that the object lay untouched, in its silver special delivery bag, on the floor of an office in Stirlingshire: certainly nobody took the time to give it a thorough inspection, or put it though even the simplest of tests (like perform an advanced planning of a route between two points, or even perhaps put it in a car and get it to navigate to somewhere). Yes it came back but only after I'd waited a month with no word of progress, yes it did have a nice shiny new genuine 1gb SD card and a new rubber strip thing which falls off with the inevitability of the tide, and a new leash to stop it bouncing down the road like a cricket ball.
But how much has this improved the situation?
Not by an electronic sausage!
Last week I had to use it to get from my home in Northumberland to a client site in Greater Manchester. During that particular journey it rebooted itself no less than 16 times on the outward leg - some necessitating the use of the "small bit of bent wire" that is now a valued piece of my bike's toolkit. The return journey was hampered by a continual reboot process which, even my trusty "reboot now you loathsome device-stick" could not recover it from.
Tomorrow I have to visit a customer in Kent. I've just spent about an hour trying to rescue it from a continual reboot event having asked it to prepare a route from Gatwick Airport to Maidstone Hospital.
In addition to the continual rebooting, the Bluetooth headset has developed the sound quality of a device whose sole purpose in life it to render every other word unintelligible and the power button requires about 300bar of pressure to affect a shutdown (which will often actually result in a number of reboots).
I'm now a very irate customer, who is severely narked that he didn't buy a Garmin Zumo, or saved himself £300 and purchase an Aldi £90 special and a collection of ziplock freezer bags to render it waterproof.
Enough is enough, replace it please. It is not fit for purpose.

Response (Marc M. (UK)) 10/03/2009 01.58 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
Your reference for your query is 090308-002246.
We understand that your TomTom product has developed faults and that your device has been sent away for repair previously on more than one occasion. Therefore we are currently investigating the faults and the previous repairs that were carried out on your TomTom device.
Your case has been escalated to our Logistic Department for further investigation. Please allow for 5 working days for our Logistics Department to investigate the repairs on your device. They will make a decision on what action needs to be taken.
We will let you know the outcome and what action needs to be taken next.
Many apologies for the inconvenience caused.
With Best Regards

Response (Marc M. (UK)) 11/03/2009 03.30 PM
Dear Mr Duff,

Your reference for your query is 090308-002246.
We would like to confirm that the request to create a Third Time Repair has been approved. Your service request number is TTR3245934
May we apologise for the inconvenience caused. Usually a Third Time Repair is not necessary as we aim to repair all devices successfully in the first repair. As the TomTom has not been repaired successfully in your previous repairs we have arranged to bring it to our main repair centre in the Netherlands. It will be checked by an expert team who specialize in the repair of TomTom devices. After thorough testing, if a hardware fault is found, your device will be replaced.
Once you have updated your address details. Please call UPS on 0845 787 7877 and quote the account number 2F0864. You will need to confirm a security password of 'bellcheese'.
You will need to package up your items in a separate box (not the original box that your TomTom came in),
and also write the repair reference on the box.
Please send the following items:
The address that you will need to ship the above items to is:-
TT c/o ComServe Network TTR3245934
Ruwekampweg 11
5222 AT
Den Bosch
The Netherlands

When you phone DHL you will need to ask them for a blank shipment label, this is so that their courier has the correct paperwork with them when they come to collect from your address.

Once our Repair Center has received your TomTom it usually takes 5-10 working days for it to be returned to you.
It will then be posted back to you once everything has been completed.
With Best Regards

Narrative: Device shipped off to TomTom Netherlands who immediately realise that its completely shagged and send out a brand new Rider V2 as a replacement. Come to use it in the car and discover that it doesn’t fit the V1 car mount. Raise case 5 to get accessory replaced:

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Customer (Andy Duff) 16/04/2009 02.24 PM
You have recently replaced my faulty TomTom Rider 1 with a Rider 2 under warranty. I tried to fit this to my car at the end of last week only to discover that the mounting is completely different. Please can you supply me with the correct mount to go with the replaced product?

Response (Owen F. (UK)) 18/04/2009 02.02 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care in regards to replacing your TomTom accessory.
The reference number for your query is 090416-008336.
I have set up a replacement accessory to be sent to you. Your Reference Number (RMA number) is DEL3289065
Within the next hour, you will receive a separate email asking for your address details so that we can ship the accessory to you.
If you cannot find the email from our repair center, please make sure that you also checked your spam/junk folder.
If you did not receive an email from our repair centre, please go to the TomTom website and log into your account.
Now click on “My TomTom” in the top right hand corner ->‘My Repairs and Services’ -> RMA starting with 3 -> Your DEL number.
Once you have updated your address details, your accessory will be sent you to you and you should receive it within 5 - 10 working days.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be more than happy to help you further.
With Kind Regards
The TomTom Customer Care Team

Customer (Andy Duff) 18/04/2009 03.27 PM
It looks like your product repair team are going to ship the wrong item out to me. In their email they are intending to send the following items:
Product(s) to be send out:
RIDER V2 RAM MOUNT KIT [L]
RIDER V2 RAM MOUNT KIT [L]
RIDER V2 BIKE DOCKING SHOE [L]
RIDER V1/V2 BATTERY CABLE [L]
They should be sending a car mount for TomTom Rider V2

Narrative: In post arrive 2 bike mounts for Rider 2, bike mount hot shoe, bike mount cable

Response (Owen F. (UK)) 22/04/2009 09.09 AM
Dear Mr Duff,
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care in regards to replacing your TomTom accessory.
I have set up a replacement accessory to be sent to you. Your Reference Number (RMA number) is DEL3293047
Within the next hour, you will receive a separate email asking for your address details so that we can ship the accessory to you.
If you cannot find the email from our repair center, please make sure that you also checked your spam/junk folder.
If you did not receive an email from our repair centre, please go to the TomTom website and log into your account.
Now click on “My TomTom” in the top right hand corner ->‘My Repairs and Services’ -> RMA starting with 3 -> Your DEL number.
Once you have updated your address details, your accessory will be sent you to you and you should receive it within 5 - 10 working days.
Please let me know if you have any further questions and I will be more than happy to help you further.
With Kind Regards

Narrative: In post arrives a suction cup for a Rider 1 along with a car mount for a Rider 1.

Customer (Andy Duff) 28/04/2009 11.32 PM
Again, you've sent the wrong part! You should have sent TomTom Rider 2 Car Mount. I almost give up

Narrative: Examine the collection of TomTom parts cluttering up my kitchen and fabricate a car mount for myself.

Response (Owen F. (UK)) 04/05/2009 03.12 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care
Unfortunately, TomTom Rider devices do not currently have this Car Mount included. And therefore will not be replaced.
It can only be repaired under warranty.
With Kind Regards

Customer (Andy Duff) 04/05/2009 04.11 PM
Fine, you can take my Rider1 car mount and replace it with the equivalent for the Rider2 which you supplied under warranty.
I DIDN'T ASK FOR A RIDER 2, you decided to replace the model I had with a different, incompatible one.

Response (Owen F. (UK)) 04/05/2009 04.39 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
I have set up a replacement accessory to be sent to you. Your Reference Number (RMA number) is DEL3305933
With Kind Regards

Narrative: in post arrives another suction mount for a Rider 1

Customer (Andy Duff) 05/05/2009 12.21 AM
Please do not send me yet another "SUCTION MOUNT 2005 [L]" that is half of one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CAR-WINDOW-MOUNT-FOR-TOMTOM-RIDER-V1-MOUNTING-BRAND-NEW_W0QQitemZ190257534730QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CE_GPS_Accessories_Software_ET?hash=item190257534730&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72:1683|66:2|65:12|39:1|240:1318|301:1|293:1|294:50
I need one of these:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/TomTom-Rider-2nd-Ed-Car-Windshield-Mount-Power-Cord_W0QQitemZ400000718701QQcmdZViewItemQQptZGPS_Accessories_Cables?hash=item400000718701

Narrative: No response, request contact

Customer (Andy Duff) 06/05/2009 06.49 AM
Please get a senior customer services manager to call me. +447756******

Narrative: Car kit arrives for Rider 1. Phone support, who say that the Rider2 I have isn’t a Rider2 as the serial number doesn’t tally. Argue with imbecile on phone about the differences between firmware, software and physical components of consumer electronics. Offer to send photo of replacement device not fitting into original holder.

Response (Sheandera M. (UK)) 05/06/2009 04.19 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
The reference number for your query is 090122-006427.
I have set up a replacement accessory to be sent to you. Your Reference Number (RMA number) is FOC3342109
Now click on “My TomTom” in the top right hand corner ->‘My Repairs and Services’ -> RMA starting with 3 -> Your FOC number.
With Kind Regards

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Customer (Andy Duff) 03/06/2009 01.05 PM
Nope, the accessory which you have despatched is a car holder for a Rider 1. As I've said before, you have sent me a Rider 2, I therefore need a Rider 2 car kit.

Response (Sheandera M. (UK)) 03/06/2009 01.41 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
The reference number for your query is 090122-006427.
Before we can look into your issue further, please provide us with a copy of your Proof of Purchase for you Car Kit mounting.
You can update your TomTom Question and attach a scanned copy of the Proof of Purchase or Exchange. To do this, please log in to your TomTom account via the TomTom website. Click on 'Support -> My Questions History', click on the title of your question then click on 'Update Question'.
You can also attach documents to the question by clicking on 'Browse' and find the document you wish to attach to the question, then click on 'Add Attachment'.
Alternatively, you can fax it to us on Fax number - +31 (0)20 8501072
If you are faxing the details to us, please also quote on the fax :-
- Your Name,
- Your Email Address,
- Your Contact Telephone Number,
- The Reason why you are faxing this to us
- The Incident Number of this Email: - 090122-006427
- The Serial Number of your device. This can be found on the base of your unit by the barcode. It can also be found on the original box that your product came in.
Please note that we prefer if you reply with the information via the TomTom website and update your question with the attached Proof of Purchase or Exchange. We will be able to process your query a lot sooner. Please send either a .pdf file or a .jpg image file. Please do not send .bmp files.
With Kind Regards

Customer (Andy Duff) 03/06/2009 02.15 PM
Paypal receipt attached

Response (Sheandera M. (UK)) 03/06/2009 04.14 PM
Dear Mr Duff,
Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Care.
Your reference for your query is 090122-006427.
Further to our conversation
As mentioned I will look into the case further and will contact you shortly with an update.
If in the meantime, you have any further questions, please don’t hesitate to contact me and I will be more than happy to answer them.
With Kind Regards

Response (Owen F. (UK)) 03/06/2009 05.36 PM
Dear Andy Duff,
We are sorry this item is not available as a replacement part.
With Kind Regards

Customer (Andy Duff) 04/06/2009 02.48 PM
So you are saying that this accessory here: http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=400&Product=354&Category=&Tab=0
does not exist?
Ok, so how then am I meant to use my Rider in my car? Are you going to send me a second TomTom so i can retain the functionality I had before you replaced my original Rider with the Rider 2? Or are you just going to give me my money back?

Response (Owen F. (UK)) 20/06/2009 09.44 AM
Dear Andy Duff,
We are sorry this item is not available as a replacement part (it cannot be sent as part of a DEL) it is only available for sale here :
http://www.tomtom.com/products/accessories/accessory.php?ID=400&Product=354&Category=&Tab=0
With Kind Regards

Narrative: Rider 2 Car mount arrives via UPS from TomTom Netherlands. Astonished to see this email this morning then;

Response (Owen F. (UK)) 30/06/2009 08.56 AM
Dear Andy Duff,
We are sorry this item is not available as a replacement part (it cannot be sent as part of a DEL) nor ca you purchase a car mounting option for the Rider 2.
The link you sent refers to the car mounting option for the Rider one.
I appreciate this is unfortunate in the light of your upgrade to a Rider 2.
However , we cannot send you a Rider 2 car mount as we do not have nor do we stock them nor do we manufacture them.
You can purchase them from third party retailers.
With Kind Regards

Customer (Andy Duff) 30/06/2009 10.39 AM
Thank you for your email; it confirmed what I'd already deduced - that the support infrastructure within the TomTom organisation is woefully lacking.

During my interactions with you, I have had a pitiful experience. I have had to chase your hardware support people to process repairs, items have been returned untested leaving me, as a customer highly dissatisfied.

Support personnel have displayed a complete lack of knowledge concerning your products and accessories culminating in being told that the Rider v2 unit that you sent me did not actually exist, despite having it in my hands at the time of the call.

To cap it all off, in the post yesterday arrived the appropriate car mount; how appropriate then that I should receive an email this morning claiming that the item I have requested does not exist, cannot be purchased from yourselves and that there is nothing more that you can do. How incompetent can you be? Do you not have an asset management system? Do you not undergo product training?

To ensure that as few people as possible suffer the misery that is TomTom support I have decided to publicise the whole sorry affair on a number of forums appropriate to the market. You will shortly be able to view this on http://www.singletrackworld.com http://www.ktmforum.co.uk http:www.pistonheads.co.uk http://www.advRider.com and http://www.fiatforum.com your complete incompetence has made me into an anti-TomTom evangelist. Well done!

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Garmins are expensive, and their software well secured,
however their customer support is faultless.

I had a zumo go u/s, it was replaced within a week, and replacement came with roads/safety camera data updated to current issue.

They also are better at grabbing a satellite signal in adverse weather, than cheaper devices.

I admire your patience though :D

·
Registered
219 Posts
OMG!!

This is kinda funny because I was actually just going to order a Rider v2 tonight.. They have a £50 off thing going on here.. but this really puts me off...

Wonder if their car GPS 630/730/930 have the same issue....

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Appalling after-sales service.

They could have simply sent you a shorter message like "Hello mug, we now have your cash and you have some junk parts, thank-you for shopping at Tom Tom".

Thank you for sharing this experience with us.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Garmins are good, they where designed for military use before ordinary consumer which I guess speaks volumes?, when I go to the US I use a Garmin in the hire cars as opposed to my Tom Tom which covers America as its better all round.

·
Registered
940 Posts
Garmins are good, they where designed for military use before ordinary consumer which I guess speaks volumes?, when I go to the US I use a Garmin in the hire cars as opposed to my Tom Tom which covers America as its better all round.
The military use tomtom's now which explains a lot of the friendly fire

·
Registered
143 Posts
I also have a Tom Tom rider V1 and have experienced problems- stopped working in the middle of France for no reason-fortunately I always carry a map just in case! Also, I have had problems with the unit charging on the bike- I am on my second handlebar charging bracket but even that seems tempramental- does not always charge. I now put gaffa tape over the the bracket on the handlbars where the electrical connectors are when not in use so that water cannot get in there. I also always carry the mains charger so that I can top it up whenever I arrive at a destination just in case! i have only had my new SMT 990 for a week so not got around to mounting it yet (and a friend has borrowed it and fitted it yto his GSXR 750 to go to Assen Moto GP last week- also did not charge on the bike for him!). I have had the power socket fitted to my bike at PDI so will look at trying to jig something up using the car cigarette charger supplied as a back up. When I get around to it I will post some details etc.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
Sorry to hear you've had such issues mate, without wanting to rub salt in the wound I have to echo the good comments for Garmin:

Garmins are expensive, and their software well secured,
however their customer support is faultless.

I had a zumo go u/s, it was replaced within a week, and replacement came with roads/safety camera data updated to current issue.
+1

Bought mine 2nd hand, no receipt, when I had my bad off back in May it was written off, it was between the road sign post we went through and the tank bag so the screen and plastic case were smashed to bits, looked like you'd taken a hammer to it...

Called Garmin to see if they could do anything and they said "we operate a flat fee repair policy, £130, send it in and we'll send you a new (reconditioned) unit". Sent off just the unit and waited, ten days later I had not only a brand new head unit, but everything it came with in the box, car mount, bike mount etc, same 2008 maps but latest firmware and camera updates...:D

As for their maps being well secured, not if you know where to look;)

·
Registered
219 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cheers for the support everyone. Greg, have you tried to get yours fixed? There seems to be a number a of threads on visordown reporting similar issues & a colleague at work has had the (identical) power connections on his car-mounted GO540 fail in the same way.

Just received the following from them this morning:

Response (Owen F. (UK))
01/07/2009 08.46 AM

Dear Mr Duff,

We strive to resolve our customers’ queries as swiftly as possible. If it has not been possible to fully resolve your query, our Customer Support Representatives are available to transfer your call to an experienced Supervisor or Team Leader.

In the unlikely event that a successful resolution to your query is still not possible, you can send a letter to our Customer Relations Department, who will ensure that your query is handled professionally and efficiently.

You can send your letter to the address below:

TomTom Sales BV
Customer Support - Customer Relations Department
Rembrandtplein 35
1017 CT Amsterdam
The Netherlands

The letter should contain the following:

• Detailed description of your feedback
• Your full name
• Your address
• Your email address (the one registered with us)
• A contact telephone number where you are available during the day
• The details of your TomTom product including product code and serial number (if possible)
• Any reference numbers (case numbers, RMA numbers etc)

Your Case Reference is 090416-008336

With Best Regards

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Cheers for the support everyone. Greg, have you tried to get yours fixed? There seems to be a number a of threads on visordown reporting similar issues & a colleague at work has had the (identical) power connections on his car-mounted GO540 fail in the same way.

Just received the following from them this morning:

Response (Owen F. (UK))
01/07/2009 08.46 AM

Dear Mr Duff,

We strive to resolve our customers’ queries as swiftly as possible. If it has not been possible to fully resolve your query, our Customer Support Representatives are available to transfer your call to an experienced Supervisor or Team Leader.

In the unlikely event that a successful resolution to your query is still not possible, you can send a letter to our Customer Relations Department, who will ensure that your query is handled professionally and efficiently.

You can send your letter to the address below:

TomTom Sales BV
Customer Support - Customer Relations Department
Rembrandtplein 35
1017 CT Amsterdam
The Netherlands

The letter should contain the following:

• Detailed description of your feedback
• Your full name
• Your address
• Your email address (the one registered with us)
• A contact telephone number where you are available during the day
• The details of your TomTom product including product code and serial number (if possible)
• Any reference numbers (case numbers, RMA numbers etc)

Your Case Reference is 090416-008336

With Best Regards
What a load of bureaucratic and time wasting nonsense!

If Tom Tom were interested in real customer service they would have someone (with enough delegated authority) contact you directly and quickly deliver a mutually agreed solution.

Thank you for sharing your experiences with us - I wouldn't touch a Tom Tom product with a bargepole after that treatment.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts