KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of September's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 55 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Standard second hand gen 3 for £12k ish
Full Akrapovic fitted - £2k
OZ GASS wheels - £1950
Maxton suspension - £2000
£2000 on carbon and farkles

There’s a better bike with some change
When you thinking of getting the Gen3 for 12k.... cheapest i have seen is 14k..ish

·
Registered
83 Posts
£21.5k was cheap for that bike.
Build quality was a different league from the standard SDR, Akra slip-on was wank though.
What bit was built better exactly? The engine is the same. The suspension is straight out of the Powerparts catalogue. All of the bolts are the same KTM crap as always. the switchgear is the same. Dash the same. Frame, swingarm etc etc. The carbon is bolt on powerparts. The paint is the same quality. The rear sets - oh yeah bolt on Powerparts. The only unique part is the tail and the wheels are again just PVM wheels lobbed on. The build quality is literally identical, just with stuff anybody can buy added on.

·
Registered
18,892 Posts
What bit was built better exactly? The engine is the same. The suspension is straight out of the Powerparts catalogue. All of the bolts are the same KTM crap as always. the switchgear is the same. Dash the same. Frame, swingarm etc etc. The carbon is bolt on powerparts. The paint is the same quality. The rear sets - oh yeah bolt on Powerparts. The only unique part is the tail and the wheels are again just PVM wheels lobbed on. The build quality is literally identical, just with stuff anybody can buy added on.
It's definitely a compulsive disorder, buying new bikes. 😬

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
SDR's are built in the factory on the production line.
The specials (450 Rally, RC8R (latest one) and SDRR) are all built by the factory teams. If you see an SDRR have a look around it, there's no shitty bits of plastic or lazy cable ties like the standard bike. I'm quite picky and I couldn't fault the RR quality wise. I parked next to a new Ducati Streetfighter at the MotoGP and even he said his bike looked cheap next to the RR.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
hey PH why did you sell it? i would have it mounted in my living room...hmmm perhaps not mounted but you get the gist :)

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
No time to use it in the next 12-18 months so let someone else cherish it.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
SDR's are built in the factory on the production line.
The specials (450 Rally, RC8R (latest one) and SDRR) are all built by the factory teams. If you see an SDRR have a look around it, there's no shitty bits of plastic or lazy cable ties like the standard bike. I'm quite picky and I couldn't fault the RR quality wise. I parked next to a new Ducati Streetfighter at the MotoGP and even he said his bike looked cheap next to the RR.
Hell of a price for Fit cable Ties :sneaky:

·
Registered
58 Posts
Sorry I don't buy that the factory teams build road bikes, they'd have no knowledge on what goes where, plus I am sure they have their hands full building, stripping, maintaining their race bikes for each event. There are only a handful of engineers who know their way around a race bike and the last thing the factory, any factory would do is utilise those resources (who aren't trained on that bike) to build it. It's not like it's even close to a race bike in any way.

Having been to Ducati's factory in Bologna several times and owning several Ducati's even the likes of the Desmosedici RR was built on a standard production line as is the Pani SL's, the Corse stuff is built in a separate unit behind closed doors.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Sorry I don't buy that the factory teams build road bikes, they'd have no knowledge on what goes where, plus I am sure they have their hands full building, stripping, maintaining their race bikes for each event. There are only a handful of engineers who know their way around a race bike and the last thing the factory, any factory would do is utilise those resources (who aren't trained on that bike) to build it. It's not like it's even close to a race bike in any way.

Having been to Ducati's factory in Bologna several times and owning several Ducati's even the likes of the Desmosedici RR was built on a standard production line as is the Pani SL's, the Corse stuff is built in a separate unit behind closed doors.
I'm sure the Superduke RR is more special than everything else though!

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm sure the Superduke RR is more special than everything else though!
It's just a road bike, built for the masses albeit limited numbers, and has been said it's just bolt on parts onto the standard R so anyone on the standard assembly line can assemble.

KTM are trying (and generally succeeding) to win every race series they enter, whether that be MX, Enduro, Dakar, and then onto Moto3, Moto2 and MotoGP, those bikes bare no relation to what we buy as the public, they may have similar silhouettes (WSBK and BSB series spring to mind), but when you start to look generally you'll see it's just the form/bodywork that is similar.

I'll compare to Ducati again as I've owned them for 20+ years, if you look at the latest V4 Panigales and their WSBK counterparts, first off the swingarms are longer, subframes different (as the fuel tank extends further under the seat for weight distribution), the front end has wide track yokes, completely different frame to accomodate a larger tank, and that's before you even get beyond the bodywork, none of which would fit a road bike without massive modifications (believe me I've tried), all of the electronics are different and mounted up front, therefore a different loom/routing, additional telemetry sensors and loom, this list goes on.

The SDR doesn't compete in any race series so having to train engineers who work on their race bikes, highly skilled well paid individuals to work on a assembly line for a road bike just doesn't happen.

Happy to be proven wrong, but knowing how Ducati operate I suspect KTM will be the same.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Just guessing then
Yes of course I am guessing, but it's a business and why would any company have a 2nd assembly line for the same bike just with different higher paid resource to bolt PP accessories on instead? As I said I am happy to be proven wrong, but I'm 99.9% sure I'm correct.

However, you have stated it is built by the factory team.... can you provide details/evidence of this?

·
Registered
5,152 Posts
So you want me to prove your guess is wrong?
Did you buy one? Have you actually seen one?

21 - 40 of 55 Posts