KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys ,
Im thinking of purchasing a new bike soon. Preferably a 2 stroke as what I'm used to. All my previous bikes have been the main 4 manufacturer's. Honda,kawasaki, suzuk,yamaha but now I'm thinking of going down the ktm route.
Why did you choose a ktm and what do you like about it compared to the other manufacturer's?
I would be looking for a 250 upwards 2 stroke for light motocross/off road use.

·
Registered
2,161 Posts
I was told by a mate to buy a KTM so I purchased a 2013 300 EXC, that was about 5 years ago, Its been 100% perfect.

Apart from the crank being rebuilt twice, the cylinder being re-plated twice, its had 3 pistons, the wiring loom has been rebuilt by me, the wheel bearings have been replaced more times than I can remember, I've had to modify the clutch system to reduce clutch drag, the clutch stack has been replaced, all the internal engine bearings have been replaced twice, the front master brake cylinder has been replaced with a Nissin unit, the forks have been rebuilt, the rear shock bearings have been replaced, the electric starter motor has been replaced, the battery has been replaced, the stator has been replaced, the CDI been replaced, the exhaust cracked and was replaced. So apart from that is been fine! :p

I've kept the bike because I've done a few mods to it and I actually really like the bike, it has the ability to make me laugh and scare the crap out me at the same time.

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
You do know the Austrian bikes aren’t like real 2ts now? They got infected and have to carry the oil in a bizarre way. It’s mainly vegans that buy them now.

KTM is best for skids.
Husky is best for slow wheelies.
Gasser is best for burnouts.

·
Registered
764 Posts
Hi Guys ,
Im thinking of purchasing a new bike soon. Preferably a 2 stroke as what I'm used to. All my previous bikes have been the main 4 manufacturer's. Honda,kawasaki, suzuk,yamaha but now I'm thinking of going down the ktm route.
Why did you choose a ktm and what do you like about it compared to the other manufacturer's?
I would be looking for a 250 upwards 2 stroke for light motocross/off road use.
KTM still the best overall enduro bike, despite what you'll read on here. forks aren't great & the standard bike is missing some vital things (fan, sump guard) but overall they're decent. Just over priced for what they are.
I like the hydraulic clutch, brakes are good. Suspension is OK, Xplor forks are pretty crappy but usable (although newer ones meant to be better). Ergonomics suit me, comfy, neutral riding position.
The 17- counter balanced 2 strokes are smooth and not tiring to spend 5-6hrs on. All the others 2t vibrate allot.

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
I wouldn’t say “best” Jim. They used to be but not now. KTM drew me in with great simple engineering at not stupid money. They were excellent but I think any perceived gap has closed. Knighters vid pretty much sums it all up. There’s hardly anything he hasn’t changed. Get everything changed though and they are a very good bike. Maybe there’s less to change on other brands?

·
Registered
614 Posts
I wouldn’t say “best” Jim. They used to be but not now. KTM drew me in with great simple engineering at not stupid money. They were excellent but I think any perceived gap has closed. Knighters vid pretty much sums it all up. There’s hardly anything he hasn’t changed. Get everything changed though and they are a very good bike. Maybe there’s less to change on other brands?

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
It's a bit pointless using Knighter as a yard stick he's obviously going to change all sorts on a bike like any pro rider he's not your average dirt bike buyer...most people buy a bike and just ride it as is...

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
It's a bit pointless using Knighter as a yard stick he's obviously going to change all sorts on a bike like any pro rider he's not your average dirt bike buyer...most people buy a bike and just ride it as is...
It's a bit pointless using Knighter as a yard stick he's obviously going to change all sorts on a bike like any pro rider he's not your average dirt bike buyer...most people buy a bike and just ride it as is setting aside monday morning to make a list of parts that have broked or worn out prematurely then ringing there local ktm stealer card in hand for there weekly shafting. ;)

·
Registered
764 Posts
Overall, I think they put out the best package. Allot of the others seem better on paper but don't equate to a better ride.
Sherco: terrible jetting and MX valving, heavy, & lots of vibration.
Beta: vibration, strange valving, heavy feeling front end to me. The one I rode was too lean but had been played about with. I've only known a handful or guys who have had them but all have gone back Austrian.
TM...it's a TM :ROFLMAO:

I'm not saying they're good value, for what you get on a standard TPI, it should be sub £6k IMO!

·
Registered
4,141 Posts
Overall, I think they put out the best package. Allot of the others seem better on paper but don't equate to a better ride.
Sherco: terrible jetting and MX valving, heavy, & lots of vibration.
Beta: vibration, strange valving, heavy feeling front end to me. The one I rode was too lean but had been played about with. I've only known a handful or guys who have had them but all have gone back Austrian.
TM...it's a TM :ROFLMAO:

I'm not saying they're good value, for what you get on a standard TPI, it should be sub £6k IMO!
I think you're pretty spot on there. KTM just do not represent value for money anymore and although I may go TBI (if they get it right), I'd never personally buy a TPI, so that means it would have to be a Beta for me. If I wanted a 4 stroke, then the 350 EXC a great bike, but with the crap forks, I'd just as well get a Beta 350 Factory and save myself almost £2000!.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I think you're pretty spot on there. KTM just do not represent value for money anymore and although I may go TBI (if they get it right), I'd never personally buy a TPI, so that means it would have to be a Beta for me. If I wanted a 4 stroke, then the 350 EXC a great bike, but with the crap forks, I'd just as well get a Beta 350 Factory and save myself about £1500.
Part of the reason i got a 4 stroke. I don't like the TPI's so got a 250f with with a set of AER forks in. not riding much since covid as we all got Ebikes but love it when i do ride it

1 - 15 of 15 Posts