KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just looking for some views on going down to a single cyclinder bike, I have owned a 990SM for 2 years and love the thing but not going out to far on ride outs due to a new baby, Really like the look of the 690smc, Any veiws from you single cylinder rider would be great as i connot get a ride on a demo bike an time soon.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
Always wanted the smc 690, but bought a sm990.. Went up the north and test rode a smc690 a few months after, and wasnt that impressed.. Except for the lightness of the 690 it has nothing the 990 hasnt.. For me the 990 beats it on everythin except looks..

·
Registered
7 Posts
I just sold my 2008 690 smc to buy a 2010 990 SMR...NO REGRETS. The 690 was fun and light but a little nervous compared to the 990. I had the Wings exhaust, 2-3gear mod and the Akro map install. The injection was a bitch and it took me over a year to get it fairly smooth but even in the end on off throttle was never perfect. I got a Tuneboy, revised throttle cam and even went back to the stock can for a while and still was never pleased. My friend Husky 610's injection was perfect compared to the 690, though it did not have the power or suspension as good as the 690 it was easier to ride fast in the tight stuff. maybe in 2010 the injection in the 690's is better. If it was not for the injection I would still have it today.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I am the same, after the Hypermotard I thought I could forgo owning another liter bike, that was fine for pure twisties but any long haul and higher speeds the 990 SMR is in its own league.

I still ADV ride a DR 650 and race her on RGV 17" wheels too, great fun but doesn't cut it for the 130 km/hr plus trips and I found the same on the 690.

Sticking with the 990 SMR now .. more grunt than a paddock full of pigs :burnout: :D

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
You would miss the 990 ....do your self a favour and try one first..the 690 cost more to run and by the time you have changed.....you would not save any money....and would be hankering after a 990 for sure

1 - 6 of 6 Posts