KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 125 sx and while i was last on it the throttle stuck a few times so i replaced the throttle housing and cable
My old cable was frayed and a bit rusty and my throttle housing was old , since installing them it felt fine but stuck again in 6th at around 3/4 throttle. After i open the throttle and let it close itself it unsticks.

when the bike is off and i open the throttle there is no noise until i get over half to 3/4i can hear the spring inside the slide making a clicking/ spring sound. It sounds as if the a few of the rings of the spring are getting caught inside itself but im not sure if thats normal or my spring is old , stretch, bent. Im not sure

Inside the carb there is no marks or anything can cause the slide to stick. Personally i think it could either be the cable routing or the slide spring

if anyone can give any suggestions on what to try

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
I think we used to safety wire the cable at the carb end to stop it popping out on the kehein carbs. That was ont 300s though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think we used to safety wire the cable at the carb end to stop it popping out on the kehein carbs. That was ont 300s though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I dont think its popping out , it just sticks wide open but when i stop and give the throttle a quick blip with the bike off its fine (until it sticks again)
Im not sure what it is

·
Registered
9,408 Posts
what filter oil do you use and had you gone through any big puddles/water?

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
echo above comments

Check the routing of the the throttle cable is correct and is the cable OEM? Check the slide and carb for wear. Check the needle hasnt been bent and clean the carb thoroughly. Make sure where the cable enters the carb that it’s sitting true/straight.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
echo above comments

Check the routing of the the throttle cable is correct and is the cable OEM? Check the slide and carb for wear. Check the needle hasnt been bent and clean the carb thoroughly. Make sure where the cable enters the carb that it’s sitting true/straight.
The cable is oem from my local dealer and so is the throttle housing , the cble routing seems ok , i just routed it the same way the old one was and i can push and pull the cable without any binding etc. And i cleaned the carb when i installed the new cable
The only thing i think it can be is the slide spring as when i open the throttle i can hear the spring kind of jump inside itself if that makes sense

Here is a picture of the cable at the top of the carb
image.jpg

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
echo above comments

The cable is oem from my local dealer and so is the throttle housing , the cble routing seems ok , i just routed it the same way the old one was and i can push and pull the cable without any binding etc. And i cleaned the carb when i installed the new cable

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
Hmm, pity you had bought an oem cable - the longer Motion Pro is much better on the earlier 125s - on our 125s we route it between the left hand rad top hose and the mounting bolt, down the spine and then through a very loose zip tie so it dropped dead straight into the carb top. A sticking throttle is very very dangerous so you need to get it fixed pronto. Have you checked your throttle housing is clean and not tight against the bar end, you need it a few mm back off. Unless someone's been mucking about with it the spring and the slide is scratch free it shouldn't give a problem. Bob

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hmm, pity you had bought an oem cable - the longer Motion Pro is much better on the earlier 125s - on our 125s we route it between the left hand rad top hose and the mounting bolt, down the spine and then through a very loose zip tie so it dropped dead straight into the carb top. A sticking throttle is very very dangerous so you need to get it fixed pronto. Have you checked your throttle housing is clean and not tight against the bar end, you need it a few mm back off. Unless someone's been mucking about with it the spring and the slide is scratch free it shouldn't give a problem. Bob
Hi bob , the throttle housing is clean and is roughly about 1 cm off the end of the bar , ive heard people say about the motion pro cable and ive also read a few bad things so i just went with oem, i will try run the cable the way you said

i also might get a motion pro cable if its worth it?

Can i add videos on here ? If so i have a video of the spring making the noise it does

1 - 10 of 10 Posts