KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right, picked up my new 950 at the weekend at a bargain price, but the old owner has neglected it a bit, rides like a dream as i have already done 300 miles on it but needs a bit of tlc.

What is the best way to remove the rust from some of these bolts and stop it coming back? Deox-C???

Also what do you think will be the best approach to sorting the paintwork on the rear shock?

Whats a good way to get rid of corrosion and also to restore some of the colour back into the black plastics??

Cheers

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
:eek: didnt look after it much did he. must have been left outside in the rain a bit for those yoke bolts to corrode.

im not sure you can 'reclaim' whats already corroded without replacing the bolts etc. maybe a stainless bolt kit for a 950 if there is such a thing?

many on here (including me) use ACF50 after a good clean up to protect from further corrosion. apparently it does have a slight corrective effect as well.

first port of call i reckon is a full rear hugger to protect the underside. also consider a front fender extender (or SD version) to protect the rad area. Not sure how much a new spring costs but the orange ones do look nice ;) alternatively options are remove and re-coat or use touch up paint as a cover-up measure ?

for the exhausts its probably down to autosol and old fashioned elbow grease. Or just bin the whole fucking lot and replace with Ti akra's downpipes :)

plastics dont look in too bad shape from the pics but i dont have any advice of how to 'bring them back'

least the rear disc looks fine. thats usually the bit that corrodes first..

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i know, but another reason why it was cheap i guess.

Its all superficial stuff though as it is awesome to ride.

Its not the bike plastics, its more the areas around the clocks etc, they have faded a bit, he had it outside in london for a while so it took some abuse up there, someone tried to knick it a few times, he had to have ignition barrell replaced.

I use acf-50 to protect during winter, and im gonna coat it in that once i get most of the rust off.

How much are rear huggers, bit low on cash now. :)

·
Registered
147 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
where is the best place to get them from or is it a process of taking each one out, measuring it and then buying another????

Who uses probolt, havent heard much good about them, dont seem to have a link for 950SM, only 990?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
give em a call, sure they will know what you need.

you could try Skidmarx for the hugger. their version is a FULL hugger so will keep the crap off the exhaust cans and undertray as well. its not up on their website but phone them and ask, i think its the SD one that fits straight on. sure they do a carbon version, bit pricey, also do a standard version which looks pretty good if you spray it. found this thread showing the full rear carbon jobbie..

superduke forum :: View topic - took the baffles out my mivvs!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
2 options for the bolts , renew or get them re-plated . I restored a few bikes over the years and took all the bolts to the local electro platers and they come back like new .. You can get stainless bolts off ebay but be carefull with some as they need to be high tensile ..Local place to me replates a bag of bolts for a tenner...These are good people to deal with http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Stainless-Ste...80?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5636d57e24

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hmmm, never heard of electroplating, is that basically restoring the bolts??? had a look and there is a place near me that does it. might pop down and have a word.

It does look a bit tatty , id enjoy getting it all sorted .
thats the way im looking at it, looking forward to the finished product :)

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
Yes they are chemicaly stripped and elec plated like standard , the place ive used offers a choice of finishes , (cadmium / zinc etc) . Ive always cleaned them up on a wire wheel before ive took them in ...

·
Registered
9,896 Posts
For the engine, if you get it all hot, exhaust as well then let it cool for a few minutes. Then spray it all with WD40. Wait until it cools then hose it all off. Used to do it to my trials bike and it worked a treat. :D

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
well i ordered sum stuff called Deox C to try and get rid of the rust but while im waiting i though i would try viegar as someone said that can work.

Rusty Bolts, one worse than the others.

Vinegar

in the pot for 24 hours.

Result: bit of a scrub with kitchen roll. Not a bad finish.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Have just seen your Hovis reference in your footer mate. Take it you go on sv650.com...

Doesn't seem like a year.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Have just seen your Hovis reference in your footer mate. Take it you go on sv650.com...

Doesn't seem like a year.

yeah started out on the Sv's, good bunch on the forum.

Yeah right, another lad passed on who i had spoke to a few times on there in summer as well. never good.

·
Registered
121 Posts
For exhausts try to clean the worse off with a green scotch bright first and some wd40 then use Wonder Wheels wheel cleaner, horrible stuff don't get it on any paint, but will bring your exhausts up a treat. I repeat use a brush, leave on for a couple min's and keep away/mask painted areas. Rince off well.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts