KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm looking into joining the KTM family in a purchase of a 2006 450 EXC.

I'm not new to enduro bikes, but i am new to this model KTM.

Just looking for some advise on what to watchout for and liking problems I might encounter.

Any percautions and wear issues, that sort of thing.

I would be very grateful for your PM's.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
How many hours has the bike done?

Generally the bike will do roughly 1500-2000miles between C+S changes but change the front sprocket about 1000miles.(quality C+S not shite).
Valves.....only the inlets tend to move and i used to do mine every 40-60hrs...tight inlets make starting a bit harder when engine is cold so there is a clue. Your choice how often you check them.
Oil/filters.....i did oil every 20-25hrs and filters when i could be bothered(second or third oil change).Also i used Putoline DX4 which was fine.
Wheel bearings,about the same as the C+S.
Fork seals....varies due to cleaning habits but they aint as bad as some say(easy to do but messy).

Those who wish to talk bollox about changing oil every 3hrs,the engine ran spot on until i sold it after approx 9k miles and never once let me down.

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
check the PDS (rear lower) suspension bush too, no big deal but costs around £30 to replace. as for the oil, I raced my 450 so it was changed every race... the scrotes that stole mine had a very well looked after bike!

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
no red flags with theses bikes, just general stuff that wears out and can be a point to haggle the price down. Eg check wheel bearings by holding wheels at top and bottom and see if there is any play. Check chain and sprockets for wear. Etc but bikes are fairly sound,

1 - 4 of 4 Posts