KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put my bike back together but forgot to grease the big bolt going through the swing arm and engine and frame, i think i just covered in WD-40, will this be ok or does it need greasing?

·
Registered
9,035 Posts
wot pete sed ^^^^

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I think some of the earlier bikes (like my 05 rfs) had a black coating on it and the book said not to grease it. A replacement later had a normal plated look. Might be wrong though.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think its going to be grease time, going to try do it with as little effort as possible and not take the rear shock off :p lets see how well that goes lol

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just use a bar to knock out the bolt leaving the bar in place as the bolts comes out.
Then just knock the bolt/spindle back in knocking the bar out as it goes back in.
I've done this without having to even take the back wheel off.

·
Registered
433 Posts
I recently put my bike back together but forgot to grease the big bolt going through the swing arm and engine and frame, i think i just covered in WD-40, will this be ok or does it need greasing?
Never mind about the bolt , what about the bearings in the swinging arm !
Take them out, inspect, re grease & put back together knowing they should be good while to come
( if i get a new bike i allways make sure i grease with 30 hrs & then forget about them for another 100 hrs (&then i only check them) :) )

·
Registered
2,140 Posts
Plenty of grease as you don't want to be doing it every 2 minutes. Good quality waterproof stuff and lots of it, especially if you use a power washer. Don't mix with WD40 as that's a solvent.

I wouldn't be bothered about coated spindles if the coating has worn as it's just supposed to be a lubricant in itself. If there's no coating, slap some grease on it instead. Same thing with the lower shock heim joint. You're not supposed to lube those because of the coating but I'm sure the coating just gets worn off by the wet and crap that gets in if you don't have a good grease barrier to keep it out.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts