KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As I really always use NEXX and N1XX needles I have no clue about three needles:
N2ZW
N2ZJ
and
N0ZJ (OEM needle Beta XTrainer 2022, Keihin 36)

I have no clue about these needles, don't even know if they are single, dual or triple taper. I prefer NEXX needles because they work well in any Keihin PWK wether 36 or 38 and their grading is super logical. So logical that a cunt like me easily understands the differences and can tune a carb with them in no time.

The above mentioned needles are obviously used by Beta and I have the problem that the fuel consumption on my bike is too high, considering it has only 8 liters tank capacity.

My set-up (with a 300 RR pipe): 160 mj, 38 pj, N0Zj in #2, a/s 2.25 turns out, engine runs nice but on the rich side....and we had 35° and altitude was 650 ft.

Thanks
Steve

• Wow
Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
N2ZW is stock 300 beta needle. It’s leaner than the NOZJ you are using in diameter (1/8th throttle) but I don’t know about taper. NOZJ is the stock beta 250 needle. It lacks guts in my opinion. I use an NOZG in my 250. Torquey. Picks up fast. Great for low speed stuff as with small throttle openings it runs nice and cool. I’m testing a Suzuki NEDH tomorrow. It’s leaner than what I have now so could be edgy or stable and clean. We shall see…..

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Pindie, I'll rip out the carb tomorrow and first see what float level I'll find. After that I'll either try a JD red needle with the jets that are installed (38/160), then see how it goes. We have killer heat at the moment so a 35 pilot jet might work better. Currently with the NOZJ (stock on my XTrainer 300) it is rich down low.
If that doesn't work I will try my beloved NECW/NEDW needles. As they are significantly thinner as the JD needles I need to go to a 152 main (which I do not have).
NEDH (2.725mm) is a half clip richer than the NECH I used to use. And it is on the rich side too so I guess it should work well. Let m know what you think. I am a NEXX fan, they are pretty good and cover a wide range.

·
Registered
10,627 Posts
Swerve the NOZ needle. It sounds like the longer straight section of the the Suzuki needle is what you want. NOZ will transition faster so if you hold on one spot/the wrong spot it’ll not like it. The Suzuki needles will be much more forgiving at slight throttle use but you’ll lose quick punch/snap for sudden zaps in my experience. Suzuki needles will be more like a tpi type delivery.

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
Steveman!! I didn't know you'd bought a little red bike!

Funnily enough, I've just rejetted mine and put an fmf gnarly on.

I'm running 38, NOZJ on Clip 3, 165 main.

It feels on the lean side of perfect but haven't really ridden it properly yet.

Also and importantly, I run premix at 50:1 and I've removed the plastic airbox cover. With the standard pipe and standard jetting, it was very lean. Not much grunt off the bottom and then spinning up as it got going. I'm not one for plug checking but the plug was bone dry and completely light tan and looked very lean.

The fmf pipe absolutely transforms the bike. I'm looking forward to trying it out but I'm hoping it hasn't lost the gruntability that it had with the standard. It was just too gutless as it comes.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Swerve the NOZ needle. It sounds like the longer straight section of the the Suzuki needle is what you want. NOZ will transition faster so if you hold on one spot/the wrong spot it’ll not like it. The Suzuki needles will be much more forgiving at slight throttle use but you’ll lose quick punch/snap for sudden zaps in my experience. Suzuki needles will be more like a tpi type delivery.
Yesterday I swapped the NOZJ that was OEM vs. the NECW and I lowered the float bowl because I am not happy with the fuel consumption. I did 38kms with 4 liters (50% of tank capacity) meaning I would not even make 80kms (49.5mls).

Could not ride it but trying it just up and down the road it felt much better from down low, the long straight sector eliminated the low down burble.

·
Registered
7,367 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steveman!! I didn't know you'd bought a little red bike!

Funnily enough, I've just rejetted mine and put an fmf gnarly on.

I'm running 38, NOZJ on Clip 3, 165 main.

It feels on the lean side of perfect but haven't really ridden it properly yet.

Also and importantly, I run premix at 50:1 and I've removed the plastic airbox cover. With the standard pipe and standard jetting, it was very lean. Not much grunt off the bottom and then spinning up as it got going. I'm not one for plug checking but the plug was bone dry and completely light tan and looked very lean.

The fmf pipe absolutely transforms the bike. I'm looking forward to trying it out but I'm hoping it hasn't lost the gruntability that it had with the standard. It was just too gutless as it comes.
Yes Al, I just bought it and did my first ride. So you have a Trainer too? Great! I rode it normal as I think a real breaking in phase isn't necessary. I did 3 heat cycles before the first ride though. I am running 38, NECW on Clip 2, 158 main. It came with 38, NOZJ on #2 and a 160 main. The dealer installed the 160 main as my bike was delivered with a different pipe from Black Laboratory (it is very similar to your FMF gnarly).
My bike was running too rich down low. We will see, I hope to be able to test ride the new set up but will not give her WOT for longer time yet. I need to get the fuel consumption down otherwise I can forget my Croatia tour in September. And I don't want to buy the bigger IMS tank.

Love the bike, just the suspension left me scratching my head. Did some tweaks but doubt that I will feel a difference.

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
4,462 Posts
It is a good little bike as long as it suits your needs. Having spent about 4k on mine, it's now very good but in all honesty, a 300 Racing Edition would probably have done me just as well, with maybe an inch lowering kit.

That gnarly pipe has transformed it from a very strangled bike into a proper 300. Although, it's still not as snappy as the RR it's got plenty of go for technical stuff.

Good luck with yours. I think you will find the suspension lacking but if not then you've definitely got the right bike.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts