KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
To be fair, my son was in of those FOB's, and they used to come under attack every couple of days or so; out on patrol, or in the base. They enjoyed it because it broke the monotony, and they got to kill people. Their words. Got a video of them laughing while being ambushed.
Unless I can have an SA80, and can start capping the locals, this is boring as fuckery!

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
He used to stay in the jungle a year at a time, if you got in a fight you had no backup you fought your way out, his regiment D squadron where the regiment who started the low altitude chute opening, people died and severely injured, they couldn't steer them, he said you just had to hope you got caught in a tree, they were huge in malaya, he was a bren gunner he would tie it to his side jumping out of a plane

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
Great pics, My grandfather was one of the 1st out with the BEF in WW2, was over the age of conscription at the time but volunteered, never spoke about it when alive, many years after he died a diary was found when my Nan passed away, very interesting reading and very sad - and I could see why he hated the Germans from a few bits he wrote about the dive bombing and strafing fleeing refugees.

Near the end of the retreat he heard a baby crying in a bombed out house, everyone else dead, all he could do was force it into the arms of a fleeing refugee and ask them to take care of it.

The rest of the war he spent being bombed daily in Malta, by this time his writing in the diary had stopped, my guess is being bombed all night and burying bodies all day was probably too much for him to want to write down.

Now can everyone stay the fuck away from gatherings this weekend please, not much to ask is it?

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
Great photos Fozzy. As Bollocks says there`s a wider story to be told in all your dad`s pictures and memorabilia. Could be a project for you there during the lockdown ?

My old man served in the far east during WW2, he was the same, never spoke about it and we (his kids) never asked about it. Back in the early 80`s my missus and me took my mum and dad to Scarborough for a few days.
We were sitting in a cafe when my dad just got up and went over and spoke to a guy and his missus a few tables away. Turns out the guy served with him during the war and they recognised each other. They spent the rest of the day and evening reminiscing. They kept in touch up until both passed away.

It was one of the few times I saw my dad joking and smiling, he was always a very serious, grumbly old fucker.
After that my missus spoke to him about his time serving and while he never opened up completely he used to tell her a few stories.

Now as It`s Not Ginger says its not difficult compared to what our parents and grandparents went through.

STAY THE FUCK IN.
:mad:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts