KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Touratech seem to be taking the "Piss" with the prices of their Tents. On average they seem to be 30% dearer than the local camping shop!!!!!

Below are 2 links for the same Tent "Hilleberg Nallo 2".

Touratech - £665.69 + Delivery http://www.touratech.com/shops/008/index.php?cPath=21_143_507&page=1&sort=4a&osCsid=ee604d6e8a2f83830f1ab952a6bbd8b6

Tiso - £430.63 + Bus Fare http://www.tiso.com/shop/camping/tents/hilleberg/

I know times are hard, but WTF goes on there.
Is Wales that expensive to live and work in?

R:mad::eek:

P.S. Tiso isn't that cheap either.

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
touratech are expensive on everything

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
touratech are expensive on everything
+1

That's the reason that other companies can sell similar items cheaper.

I just bought some aux light brackets £125 :eek: then I realised that they didn't come with the light guards:mad:

That'll be another £45.

The same guards (better designed) are being sold by Les Wassel for £25 ;)

Your paying for the name in my opinion.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
£665 for a tent. Have you heard of Argos.
I've got a £50 Tent at the moment but it doesn't fit in the pannier. I was thinking of maybe stretching to £100 for a small pack size one and thought of Touratech, then decided against.
I've just been given another option. Same Tent with new (Shorter) poles.

Millets do a repair kit for tent poles,
http://www.millets.co.uk/camping/camping-accessories/product/092261.html
This is only £7.99
You cut the poles to the length you need then restring them.
I think I'll be going for this option.

R;)

·
Registered
85 Posts
I must be one of those mad 'more money then sense' type of guys.

I can say that I wouldn't buy a non TT item from TT, Touratech are very expensive and those brands are cheaper elsewhere.

For me, buying a tent is all relative.

If you want a quality 4 season tent with titanium pegs, graphlite poles and single gore tex skin that weighs less than a blue bottle's arse and will be used time after time for years to come whether it be throwing on the bike to camping after a winter ice climb in the Cairngorms or trekking in Nepal then prepare to pay for it.

If you want a cheap shelter that you'll use for two weeks of the year on your summer jaunt then buy cheap.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

I can say that I wouldn't buy a non TT item from TT, Touratech are very expensive and those brands are cheaper elsewhere.

For me, buying a tent is all relative.

If you want a quality 4 season tent with titanium pegs, graphlite poles and single gore tex skin that weighs less than a blue bottle's arse and will be used time after time for years to come whether it be throwing on the bike to camping after a winter ice climb in the Cairngorms or trekking in Nepal then prepare to pay for it.

If you want a cheap shelter that you'll use for two weeks of the year on your summer jaunt then buy cheap.
What size does it pack to Alski?

·
Registered
85 Posts
For the bike I've been using a MSR Zoid 1, had it three years now, ace tent. Weighs around 1.3 kg and I can pack the tent skin in the bottom of a H&B pannier with the poles diagonally against the inside pannier wall. Plenty of room for my stove, pots, head torch, Thermarest type matt and compressed down jacket.

·
Registered
5,561 Posts
£600 £400! More money than sense! Must be mad!
hahaha

I am sure KLR riders say the same things about ppl who pony up 8 large for a KTM 990 Adventure. :rolleyes:

The Hilleberg tents are the ducks nuts of mountaineering tents. Very lightweight, very compact & rugged as fook. Comparing that to a 24-quid tent is like comparing the adv to a pizza-delivery bike.

(Take both tents into the mountains and compare how long they last when a storm whips in)

I find it somewhat entertaining that people here who have spent between 5K-9K on a motorbike, & most likely spent about 6-700 on a set of exhausts, chorus in ridicule at the idea of spending 400 quid on a (quality) tent.

But to address the original question, yeah RigHanger, TT take the piss with that 50% markup on what is already an expensive tent.
FWIW, you can pick them up (brand new) on ebay for about 2-300.

·
Registered
626 Posts
My two man tent was free of charge thanks to the USMC in 2003 with a rather nice sleeping system thrown in too.

Incase anyone is interested its a military Eureka tent. http://www.eurekamilitarytents.com/tents/combat.html

But in my opinion you get what you pay for, but direct from the source not an agent. Like what some have already said they need to make a profit. Another good example of this is electrical goods in the Next Catalogue.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Just confirms that the recession isn't happening in Aberdeen.

You pays your money and takes your choice.

The fact of the matter is the most touratech stuff made by them is quality kit but over priced and alternatives are available cheaper and sometimes better made.

Check out the zumo 550 price from touratech and then search online and you'll see what I mean.;)

1 - 20 of 32 Posts