KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Forum,

I have a 2007 Adventure 990 which I recently bought off a friend. I am loving the ride and the bike is definitely a 'keeper'. However, my head is getting buffeted by the wind and I am experiencing prolonged headaches following even relatively short journeys. I need to sort this out.

I have a non-standard screen which looks to be the Powerparts 6000 800 8100 touring screen. This rises 400mm from the top of the headlight (screen measures 645 from top to bottom). I am 6 foot tall and I like to sit vertical. I think I need more screen height to prevent the buffeting - maybe an additional 150 or even 200mm.

Has anyone got any thoughts or ideas please? Has anyone experienced similar problems with buffeting? I have a Moto Gizzi T3 with an Oxford screen, and a Laverda and a Triumph with no screen at all, and I do not experience buffeting headaches in the same way.

Any/All thoughts welcome: thank you in advance.

AI

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Al, I haven't tried the SMT mirrors but fitting Duke mirrors got rid of the buffeting for me, and that was also using the taller touring screen.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you very much Jieming.

I am not familiar with Duke mirrors - looking online there are a number of different styles: are you able to be more specific please? It is strange to think that mirrors can make such a significant difference.

When you say that you also had the taller touring screen - do you mean (and I think you do ...) that you had the Powerparts screen which I have? I am not aware of anything taller.

Ai

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
What helmet do you ride with?

My Arai X4 drums a fair bit and is actually better without ear plugs - strange I know!

·
Registered
57 Posts
Hi Al,
I don't know if the link will work but the one below is the type of mirrors I fitted.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again - these are almost exactly the same as what I have on the bike at the moment
Hi Al,
I don't know if the link will work but the one below is the type of mirrors I fitted.

View attachment 33285
Hi Al,

View attachment 33285
dash photo.jpeg

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Al,

View attachment 33285
These look like what I have got Jieming - I was advised to refer to them as SMT-type, but will refer to Dukes from now on: much better name!!

·
Registered
2,548 Posts
Guys what worked for me wont for you and so on. We are all different, long legs, long body etc. I was getting the drumming etc from my Tour X, if you put you finger on the peak it would stop, as the peak is only held in two places, try it. Next try lowering your head or putting your hand above the screen.
I now ride with a shorter screen With my peaked helmet and a wunderlec spoiler for my Multitec. Job done.
I ended up getting an angle grinder and lopping off a bout 2 inches off the screen, after carefully marking the contours of screen. A bit of filing and all was good. Now the drumming etc has gone.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
What do you mean by your non-adventure helmet please?
I use the Arai X4 on the SAS, otherwise it's an Arai RX7V which is my track lid or for the road if I take the Aprilia for a ride and this on the SAS is silent which is unusual for an RX7 given all the vents. Also have an open face Bell for the old Bonnie that I use on the SAS if it's warm and I'm not going far.

·
Premium Member
5,824 Posts
I’m over 6’ and hated the touring screen, it was way worse than stock.

Take the screen off completely and take it for a spin. If you like it try a stock screen.
I ended up with a stock screen cut down by 2”. Was brilliant.

Try taking the peak off the helmet or wearing a road lid.

·
Registered
111 Posts
I’m over 6’ and hated the touring screen, it was way worse than stock.

Take the screen off completely and take it for a spin. If you like it try a stock screen.
I ended up with a stock screen cut down by 2”. Was brilliant.

Try taking the peak off the helmet or wearing a road lid.
Totally agree with what newsh says. I am 5 11 and have both screens. The touring screen is fine on a long trip to keep any bad weather of your visor, but still buffets. I took my stock screen and shortened in by 2 - 3 inches and it is much smoother, you just end up with wind blast on your chest.
These bikes are renowned for being poor in the screen area, have a look over on adv rider, you will see what i mean.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I use the Arai X4 on the SAS, otherwise it's an Arai RX7V which is my track lid or for the road if I take the Aprilia for a ride and this on the SAS is silent which is unusual for an RX7 given all the vents. Also have an open face Bell for the old Bonnie that I use on the SAS if it's warm and I'm not going far.
ok thank you for the clarification - understood

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Totally agree with what newsh says. I am 5 11 and have both screens. The touring screen is fine on a long trip to keep any bad weather of your visor, but still buffets. I took my stock screen and shortened in by 2 - 3 inches and it is much smoother, you just end up with wind blast on your chest.
These bikes are renowned for being poor in the screen area, have a look over on adv rider, you will see what i mean.
will do and thank you

·
Premium Member
31,407 Posts
Where are you based as I have standard, cut down standard and dual layer screens you can try. Based in Ripon, North Yorks or M18J1

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi Kevin, how very generous of you: that would be great. Trial and error is the proof of the pudding. Difficulty right now is that I am in Essex which is a fair old way away. If are able to call me sometime (07776 251477), we could perhaps work something out. Otherwise I will be in touch when I can see an opportunity (and C19 restrictions permit) to head North.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts