KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
bought a towbar for the company car and after hours of swearing and plastic welding tabs after breaking a few trying to take the damn bumper off the bar itself is fitted and all looks fine.

HOWEVER, the electrics bit is a pain in the ass as i cant find anywhere that can tell me which colour wires are what on the car. Its a 3 series saloon 59 plate (reckon its the same 06/06 onwards though)

i have all the bits like the bypass relay kit with instruction which wire to connect to which indicator etc on the car but obviously bmw's wiring colours are not the same.

IF anybody has a 3 series with towbar could they just have a look at what wire colours are please?

cheers

·
Registered
118 Posts
Hey mate,

Had this problem with mine. Was told i couldn't fit a tow bar to a coupe but got there in the end. I was going to do the wiring myself then found out that because of the CanBus wiring in the BM it's not as simple as it used to be on older cars. Eventually took it to a In-Car Entertainment place round the corner and they did all the wiring for £70 which I thought was very reasonable.

Maybe the way to go if you have someone local.

L'

·
Registered
3,154 Posts
if it has canbus wiring i wouldnt do it yourself, get a pro to do it. if it hasnt you can just tap into the wiring behind the rear lamp, get someone to do the controls at the front while you hold the test lamp at the rear, so you can tell which one is live when the indicator, brake etc is operated

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey mate,

Had this problem with mine. Was told i couldn't fit a tow bar to a coupe but got there in the end. I was going to do the wiring myself then found out that because of the CanBus wiring in the BM it's not as simple as it used to be on older cars. Eventually took it to a In-Car Entertainment place round the corner and they did all the wiring for £70 which I thought was very reasonable.

Maybe the way to go if you have someone local.

L'
Well unfortunately I'm a bit screwed now cos I've left it last minute and need to tow the R1 to Norfolk Monday, have a meeting, kip at a B&B and then I'm having the Tuesday off and riding snetterton since I'm having to head over that way.

Technically I can tow but obviously lights and indicators are a must so I'm gonna have to give it a go Sunday myself as no where's open:(

any chance you can have a look at your wiring or won't it make much sense?

·
Registered
799 Posts
Never done one on any can bus system but I guess you have to fit terminators to stop errors righ? I know people have to fit them for HID kits etc, I guess its sort of the same?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The bypass relay thingymabobby deals with that I believe , problem lies with wire colours, tbh there's not exactly loads to choose from but it would mean me having to tap into them all to figure it out which granted isn't impossible, but it's a pain. I'm hoping BMW have used some sense and made the brown wire at least earth.

Then I've got a mainly blue with green tracer, a yellow with black, a black with yellow, a grey with black..... You get the picture ;)

·
Registered
663 Posts
I also fitted a towbar to my companies car (2009 Mondeo Traveller) and Ford is also using the canbus wiring...
Even my Ford dealer was struggeling a bit to get this done right because lots of errors appeared!!

However, wish you all the best for today ;)

·
Registered
5,181 Posts
Bungees help:D

PLC (can't wire a houshold plug without instructions)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts