KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Read Only
2,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the riders we support on ( Tyres) had his high hours 300 tpi practice bike , it was 80 hours odd , go pop big time.

They say it was oil pump failure ? and even took out the casings , so it was a 3k engine / rebuild :frown:

Word was from KTM the handbook states , oil pump requires replacing before 80hrs ? No idea what the cost is , and whats involved in labour ? mines low hours , so not a worry for a while , but now TPI,s are getting plenty of hours on thought I would mention...

·
Registered
7,421 Posts
Ooooosh sounds like a cheap bit of preventative maintenance could be well worth doing ahead of time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
KTM are idiots, who in the hell would build a bike with an oil pump that is only good for 80 hours!

As the TPI bikes get older we will see more and more of these posts about seized engines because the pump has packed up.

·
Registered
9,723 Posts
They also state pistons and cranks at low hours on many bikes the create.

Time for KTM to get a bit more honest with hours and lifespans I reckon.

Very difficult to do though.

Does the TPI oil pump run off a plastic gear like the 2018 timebomb 350?

·
Registered
301 Posts
The Hours they state r for raced machines . I think my old RMZ was 8 hours (piston) according to its manual. Like fuck I was going to be putting a new piston in every 8 hours.
80 hours for a pump ? I would only do that in a year so not too bad.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Its funny that in a zillion of two stroke scooters which have a harsh life in Asia the oil pumps work more or less as long as the scooter lives. Seems there are no major problems.
It must be possible to build a reliable oil pump which works for at least 300 hours. Holy feck! Its not rocket science :rolleyes:

Reactions: rich16

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
The manual also says to replace the piston every 10hrs if using in heavy sand... albeit running the sand socks, opening up after 30hrs dune bashing to do the head it looks ok inside (low hours premix 300)...

EOH is the term calculated in Gas Turbines but which takes account of startups, load changes, etc... but they’re less dynamic compared to an engine. They’re either spooling up/down to 50/60Hz.

Think I’ll hold onto my carby 300 until this blows over.....

·
Registered
950 Posts
I thought the bike would shut down/not start if oil pump packed up as has a sensor sending signal to the CDI so much for that theory!!

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
It says in the manual “replace oil pump at 80 hours”. A rider with what sounds like more than 80 hours on his bike didn’t replace his oil pump after 80 hours, it failed, and it’s KTM’s fault?
Yep, its still KTM's fault for building a shit pump. KTM could say rebuild the crank every 1/2 an hour just so that if someone's crank falls apart they can say "You didn't follow the instructions in the manual". :rolleyes:

Reactions: rich16

·
Registered
1,867 Posts
Yep, its still KTM's fault for building a shit pump. KTM could say rebuild the crank every 1/2 an hour just so that if someone's crank falls apart they can say "You didn't follow the instructions in the manual". :rolleyes:
Not quite the same is it? 80 hours is a fairly long time as someone else said, that the best part of a year’s riding for most people. If he’s sponsored by Al he won’t be a sportsman or green laner will he? He’ll be expert or championship level in which case the bike will have had a hammering. A piston in a smoker being raced will need changing at 60-70 hours tops unless you want to take unnecessary risks, seems it was the same for the oil pump, as stated in the manual...

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
Not quite the same is it? 80 hours is a fairly long time as someone else said, that the best part of a year’s riding for most people. If he’s sponsored by Al he won’t be a sportsman or green laner will he? He’ll be expert or championship level in which case the bike will have had a hammering. A piston in a smoker being raced will need changing at 60-70 hours tops unless you want to take unnecessary risks, seems it was the same for the oil pump, as stated in the manual...
None of that explains why every other bike manufacturer can make a pump that lasts as long as the bike but KTM can't so they just slap a 'replace after X hours' on it. No other manufacturer can make a piston or crank that lasts the life span of the bike so that is fair enough but an oil pump should not be a highly stressed component, well not unless its not up to the job or built down to a low price.

·
Registered
301 Posts
Sand dunes ,Sounds brilliant I was just in Dubai on the weekend would have loved to rip around the desert for a few hours. Bloody hot though

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
i believe it is made by Del'Orto,same as the Beta,but may function differently. It's electronic not mechanical so maybe it has to be replaced due to potential degrading of components due to exposure to climate or vibrations???,IDK, but I decided when I read it when going through the manual after purchase I would replace it.
As stated these bikes get lighter and more complicated and buying into one means buying parts that have a service life. If mine blew at 75 hours then we'd have to see what Husky think about that,probably wriggle out of it

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Sand dunes ,Sounds brilliant I was just in Dubai on the weekend would have loved to rip around the desert for a few hours. Bloody hot though
Aye... boil in the ballbag material this time of year but if you’re on it early it’s still a laugh.

·
Registered
2,127 Posts
i believe it is made by Del'Orto,same as the Beta,but may function differently. It's electronic not mechanical so maybe it has to be replaced due to potential degrading of components due to exposure to climate or vibrations???,IDK, but I decided when I read it when going through the manual after purchase I would replace it.
As stated these bikes get lighter and more complicated and buying into one means buying parts that have a service life. If mine blew at 75 hours then we'd have to see what Husky think about that,probably wriggle out of it
Yeah I thought that the pump was electric and I guess I knew that KTM probably didn't actually make the pump, it still seems bad to me that it has limited hours before it should be replaced. I guess some people are OK with this and others like me think its bad!

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
Oh i think it's bad,I actually think for such an important/critic item it should be indestructible,or shut the engine down in the event of failure. If it says 80 hours it should have a 160 hour/2 year expected life.

1 - 20 of 82 Posts