KTM Owners Forum banner
21 - 40 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
4,718 Posts
Good point.... it should have a factor of safety built in, its also not a difficult interlock to add? OI light instead of an FI light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
Good point.... it should have a factor of safety built in, its also not a difficult interlock to add? OI light instead of an FI light?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is just my theory and based on 'not a lot' other than I have heard of other pumps failing at around 80 hours. I reckon that KTM wanted to add in a safety factor of lets say 2 but the pump does only seem to last for 80 hours which means that they would have to slap a 40 hour limit on the pump. People might get pissed off with such a low service life so they pushed their luck and stated 80 hours. If I could be arsed I would try and work out how many litres of oil it would have delivered in 80 hours, I bet it ain't a huge amount!

Killing the motor stone dead if the pump packs up makes sense to me even if it does leave you in the middle of nowhere!

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Calm down calm down I bet there’s lots out there with more than 80 hours going strong let’s wsit n see if lots more bikes go pop I’m at 80 plus hours
So have a concern too I’m not worried, but I believe a pump should last much longer and is a real negative from orange shame you tight bastids

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
It’s only 120 so no big deal.
I’d rather spend that every 80hrs and have piece of mind.
Break it down and it’s less than £1.50 an hour
But its yet another consumable service item - that shouldnt be so consumable - on top of all of the other stuff that needs renewing at regular intervals. An oil pump should last longer than a piston. Matey's have beta/ktm/ husky oilpump tpi bikes and the amount of oil they (dont) use makes my teeth hurt ...... makes me wonder how long they will last. 50:1 is tried and tested - sorry, slightly off topic but its all relative.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I’m at 130 hours now on the 250 tpi and all it well. I was debating putting a new piston in but I’ll keep Racing too the end of the year then do I big overhaul then. I will call Trevor pope and ask about the pump tomorrow Though

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
My plastics seem to need replacing every 40 hours! They literally wear through!!!!

We all love it though. Parts buying is a great joy. Honestly.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
My plastics seem to need replacing every 40 hours! They literally wear through!!!!

We all love it though. Parts buying is a great joy. Honestly.
Fuck sake pindie you do some fucking whingeing and moaning. :rotflmao:

Reactions: Pindie and mike54

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Yeah but shipdamite at max rpm it'll be maybe 20-1, when needed most
Retro - in france few weeks back, mateys beta used a quarter of the 2t oil that I used .... we werent trf'ing it either ....... cant be good on a smoker, or am I being old fashioned and in reality, 'less is more' :)

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
who knows mate at the welsh 2 day mine used less than 150ml in 250 miles, even at 50 mile per 5 litres and 85 ml per 5 litres in my old beta thats 425 mls for the same mileage,but most of that was straight out the exhaust.what you save on 2 strike oil you can put toward the replacement oil pump...cheap as chips

·
Registered
9,724 Posts
If we all want the lightest and supposedly best bikes out there this seems the price to pay. We shouldn’t forget these are premium euro race bikes not Japanese trail bikes. Everything is scrutinised to be lighter or smaller every new model. It’s just how it is now. You can’t keep taking material away but expect it all to be stronger or last longer.

That’s what I tell myself anyway.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
It's true what you say Pindle, IIRC the 2007 EXC-F 250 was about 112kg, now they are 105kg , shave off 7kg of reliability

·
Registered
1,135 Posts

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Had a chat with jacko over this at eurotek while trying to source my 19 300 the probability of the oil pump failing is very slim at any stage they haven’t replaced any and his advice was to replace the fuel pump filter in the tank at 40 hours and inline filters about £30 even though I run a tank sock and said any part of any bike can fail at anytime hope this helps yall sleep a little better

Reactions: SuperSam

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
There is no mention of a fuel screen inside the tank,just the in-line one in the manual?,I got 3 in-linf fuell screens supplied with the bike when i bought it.I also run a fuel sock and swapped the in-line screen at 40 hours,it was spotless,the fuel sock seems to be doing it's job

21 - 40 of 82 Posts