KTM Owners Forum banner
41 - 60 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
9,943 Posts
There is no mention of a fuel screen inside the tank,just the in-line one in the manual?,I got 3 in-linf fuell screens supplied with the bike when i bought it.I also run a fuel sock and swapped the in-line screen at 40 hours,it was spotless,the fuel sock seems to be doing it's job
Have a look at the online fiche...there's a filter on the pump

·
Registered
19 Posts
Given the criticality of the pump I’d have thought KTM would have added a flow sensor on the oil pipe and a warning light.

£120 a go is a nice little earner!

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
Given the criticality of the pump I’d have thought KTM would have added a flow sensor on the oil pipe and a warning light.

£120 a go is a nice little earner!
same as a piston though.....and over 100hrs you probably save that much in 2t oil compared to the carb.

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Where does it say £120 I just can’t find it ?

·
Registered
5,518 Posts
Thanks mike

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Do they come with the wake up connector? Is it a home service item?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, on the first few TPI's KTM couldnt deliver it in time but since a while they come with the connector.

Reactions: Miner

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
Yes, on the first few TPI's KTM couldnt deliver it in time but since a while they come with the connector.
True. I still don’t have one, never needed it neither in 65 hours.

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I got mine about 3 months after through the post along with my welcome pack :)

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey ya all. Bran new member, Scott PNW (Pacific North West), here from Washington state USA. some good reading here on this older issue of the TPI oil pump. I too am quite concerned that such the pump failure does not have a fail safe engine off or a warning light. My 2020 KTM 300 XCW tpi is now one year old, 145 hours 2080 miles. I have measured and calculated the 2stoke oil consumption at 156 to 1. From a weekend of riding, 4.5 gallons of fuel to 4.5 once’s (135ml) of oil. My premix bikes usually get 60 to 1. Like soooo many other things, a good corporation would perform a test to failure of a component. And not just once, but several times to see if the item can be improved for a reasonable cost to benefit. Any group, company or individual could perform a bench test of these pumps to give us a more realistic life expectancy. Similar to a test for a lightbulb, a door handle(lock set), or any machinery. I will continue a search to see if any testing has been done. I am performing maintenance and check of the bike. Only going to replace top end if needed. I say that cause I only trail ride, no racing. I love the 2020 300 xcw tpi. Nothing better. If interested I will post any findings.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I've just purchased a KTM300 exc TPI 2020 with 19.2 hours....Oil pump has failed after one short ride.
As it's been well over 3 months since purchase so it's out of warranty but surely this can't be right with a clear manufacturing issue like this? Three out of four of my friends KTM's have had the same issue so clearly it's not an isolated issue but a problem with the build.
Are there any Class Actions against KTM regarding this problem?

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
I've just purchased a KTM300 exc TPI 2020 with 19.2 hours....Oil pump has failed after one short ride.
As it's been well over 3 months since purchase so it's out of warranty but surely this can't be right with a clear manufacturing issue like this? Three out of four of my friends KTM's have had the same issue so clearly it's not an isolated issue but a problem with the build.
Are there any Class Actions against KTM regarding this problem?
It would be interesting to know how/why the pump failed, people are saying that it is dues to dirt getting into the oil tank and if this is the case I guess the pump could fail in a very short time, basically as soon as the dirt in the tank finds its way to the pump. If you can pull the pump apart then you might at least know why it failed. (not that this helps much with regards to the scuffed cylinder etc!!!)

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Its in there Smiler ....... l bet ktm made it so you cant retrofit ...... might be worth asking and adding it to your list.

41 - 60 of 82 Posts