KTM Owners Forum banner
61 - 80 of 82 Posts

Registered
Ah! So not in the filler cap like a fuel sock. :/
Thanks will look into 馃憤馃徏

Seems alot fail due to dirt.
I never pul oil in unless bike is really clean.
Also get a oil cap neck.

Premium Member
Same here - the collar stops as much crud from accumulating around the neck ..... also, because of the capacity, its a case of filling up when bike is clean anyway. There is a guy on ebay selling a mesh insert for the filler, but its not a 100% fit ime, so its a case of being clean and making sure you keep topped up.

Registered
Yep.
See the new style tank sits on a different bracket as well as being a different shape.

Also new tank has rubber dampeners for the main bolt. Thats where mine started to leak.

Think I will stick to being as careful as possible.

I bet this could be a reason they move the filler to somewhere else on the 23鈥檚. Like under the seat. Isn鈥檛 that where Beta have them?

Premium Member
Good vid that Smiler. As you say, failure must be primarily dirt related. I bet there are millions of scooters/peds out there with a similar pump with stacks of hours/miles on them with no problem.

Amazed that slavens hasnt got an anodised upgrade part to replace the oem pump!

Registered
I've spent time checking out the Dellorto pumps on Betas and they seem to be pretty well made and can pump a shitload of oil if driven hard. Not sure if the Mikuni pumps work in the same way.
The Beta pumps deliver a set volume per stroke but the 2 types would need to pump at the same rate to be interchangeable. There's a detailed data sheet for the Dellortos but bugger all for the Mikunis.

Premium Member
You would have thought that an oil pump on a 300 2t - whatever the make - should be putting out the same amount of oil?

Tokyo racing does a vid where he tests output over a set time to monitor pump condition ...... it would be good to do a back to back test - do Beta stipulate a scheduled replacement?

Registered
Those little solenoid pumps are like master cylinder pistons I guess, they either work it don鈥檛 then it all goes tits up?

Registered
You would have thought that an oil pump on a 300 2t - whatever the make - should be putting out the same amount of oil?

Tokyo racing does a vid where he tests output over a set time to monitor pump condition ...... it would be good to do a back to back test - do Beta stipulate a scheduled replacement?
I don't recall seeing anything about replacing the Beta pumps every x hours.

I did a similar thing to Tokyo racing by building a simple test rig to fire pulses to the pump at different speeds like the ECU does as you open the throttle. At tickover it fires every 2 seconds and ramps up to about 9 Hz at full bore. The pump is capable of running at up to about 25 Hz before it won't pump any more volume. It should therefore be working well within its design limits and last well if you keep the system clean.

The pump needs a nice clean pulse signal to be reliable but the Beta electrics carry a lot of noise and it can make the pump action a bit erratic. It's pretty reliable but not something I would trust 100% of the time as there's no warning mechanism if it stops working.

Registered
Yep.
See the new style tank sits on a different bracket as well as being a different shape.

Also new tank has rubber dampeners for the main bolt. Thats where mine started to leak.

Think I will stick to being as careful as possible.

I bet this could be a reason they move the filler to somewhere else on the 23鈥檚. Like under the seat. Isn鈥檛 that where Beta have them?
Yes the Beta is under the seat but the seat removes at the push of a button, somehow KTM鈥檚 answer was to totally over think the problem and then to under engineer it and then to use their customers as guinea pigs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Registered
I got my Racing Beta RR as I favoured KYB forks over an oil pump (and I鈥檓 a sucker for jazzy stickers). I have a decent oil measurement pot that makes 5 or 10 litre mixes quick and easy. I don鈥檛 trail ride so no need to fill up out on the road. Oil pump failures still still rare on any brand of bike. Cleanliness is important it seems.

Registered
You put the rim stickers on to! I鈥檝e kept mine to stick come sale time to hide the scratches in the black wheels馃檲

Registered
You are clearly in denial Mr Pinder ;-)
I鈥檓 in agreement!!! Tpi is fantastic. It鈥檚 kept KTMs tax bill far lower. This has helped them in MotoGP which is really good. You can鈥檛 fault them on that, MotoGP needs more front runners. It鈥檚 also helped every single 2t rider that can鈥檛 use a screwdriver, spanner or pliers. Tpi has also saved us from countless jetting and 2t oil threads. I suppose if it ever works as well as a carb then it will be a success. Unless they do bring out tbi and then we know it was all a complete load of marketing nonsense and that鈥檚 that. Very exciting watching it all unfold though. It鈥檚 still impressive technology no matter whether you鈥檙e a carb fan or Tpi fan.

61 - 80 of 82 Posts