KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a new RC390 at the end of 2019 and looking to take it to the track after I pass the first service. Any recommendations?

It was so cheap to buy new that I am not going to spend money on modifications (apart from £100 ebay rearsets); when it's time to increase performance I'll change the whole bike. Can anyone recommend which tracks in the South or South East to go to? I don't want to spend that day stuck on the rev limiter in top gear waiting for the end of the straight, so Silverstone and Snetterton would likely not be good as they must both have long straights?

Anyone taken a stock-ish RC390 to track days can advise?

·
Registered
3,088 Posts
Yes they can... I’ve seen them scalp much bigger bikes on the twisty tracks. KTM here rent them with some basic power parts on them to make them track ready / more crash proof. They’ve also got the RC390 Cup versions.

More power... wouldn’t bother. Pipe? If it’s below the trackday limits you make it sound faster / more fun. The real magic is in the Bosch cornering ABS... you can take real liberties... grab a handful and aim for the apex. Increase your speed until you start to run wide and reign it in a notch. Laugh your way round badly ridden bigger bikes. Snap the throttle open hard as there’s not enough power as bite you unless you’re cack handed at full lean.

Tracks... twisty circuits and not Silverstone. You’ll have fun. They are quick on the Dubai Autodrome Club and National Circuit configurations. On International and GP they get smoked on the back straight. I can hit 152MPH on the limiter on my CBR600 on that configuration. They can’t keep up.

They are a laugh with some sticky rubber on them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies. The RC390 has cornering ABS -- I'd never even heard of it before? A web search suggests it does not.

It's the first time I have ridden a bike with ABS and I haven't had the guts to test it out.

Been doing some research and I've guessed that the RC390 will hit top speed in about 500m with about 100m for braking so any circuit with a straight longer than 600m is going to be really tiresome. Snetterton looks like 800m and Silverstone only 710m but there are lots of them. Cadwell park could be 600m or under, so maybe there. Even Brands Hatch looks like almost 650m, but there is a kink and it there is only one straight whereas the others have more than one. The Silverstone International layout circuit looks the best as it has all the straights taken out, and the National layout is OK but still has a good 600m straight. You are right Mallory park looks much smaller at under 450m. Donnington Park about 600m for completeness, and Lydden Hill only 320m or so and oh! my! Bedford Autodrome looks like it's well over 1km ... seriously why??

·
Registered
100 Posts
Bedford Autodrome looks like it's well over 1km ... seriously why??

Because it was a USAAF bomber base in WW2...like a lot of other UK circuits including Silverstone it grew from a perimitter track and two or three runways.

See also Santa Pod...AKA USAAF Poddington. The 'strip' is the main runway.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
I got my arse handed to me when on my 848 as did my mate on his 990 SD at Silverstone by one. We were killing him on the straights but corner speed was crazy!!!! In our defence he was 3rd in the KTM cup.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
An RC390 is probably fine at Silverstone if you change the gearing and do all the power mods, shed unnecessary weight, light chain, etc. but I probably wouldn't be doing any arse-handing on a stock bike.

The frustrating thing is that Bedford Autodrome has three twisty circuits and several configurations that would all be great, but for some reason the bike days are all the SW configuration which has the monster straight. Similarly the Silverstone 'International' configuration doesn't have any of the big straights that the GP configuration has, but the bike days are all the GP or 'National' configuration.

To be fair the trackday market is probably catering for the vast majority on 600-1000 bikes who would be unsatisfied if they didn't get into top gear for a good stretch.

·
Registered
5,624 Posts
An RC390 is probably fine at Silverstone if you change the gearing and do all the power mods, shed unnecessary weight, light chain, etc. but I probably wouldn't be doing any arse-handing on a stock bike.

The frustrating thing is that Bedford Autodrome has three twisty circuits and several configurations that would all be great, but for some reason the bike days are all the SW configuration which has the monster straight. Similarly the Silverstone 'International' configuration doesn't have any of the big straights that the GP configuration has, but the bike days are all the GP or 'National' configuration.

To be fair the trackday market is probably catering for the vast majority on 600-1000 bikes who would be unsatisfied if they didn't get into top gear for a good stretch.
Yeah to an extent. The National isn't particularly long on the straight bits at Silverstone. I run a 690 Duke at all of them, it's not actually important what bike you're on mostly, it's about the right mindset... Get that right and all are good :)

·
Registered
10,201 Posts
Does Rockingham still operate as a track?

What about Silverstone's Stowe circuit or Whilton Mill perhaps which is a go cart track. Join in with the supermotard's. But be warned, they will spit at you as they pass.

All a bit leftfield but hey ho!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the suggestions. For some reason I'm not really attracted to being the odd one out at a motard event, although I will research it. First look seems like they often/usually have jumps or a dirt section!

Sounds like the National circuit at Silverstone could be a good compromise.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Cadwell would be good if you want to travel
One of the NL instructors runs one at Cadwell and he can ride the wheels off it

1 - 13 of 13 Posts