KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I tried to get the track pack installed on my 2019 SDR earlier in the year, but KTM systems were having problems. Finally got it installed at the same time as my service yesterday.

I had to ride back to South London bandit country from Crawley, and chose to go via the A and B roads rather than motorway. It was cold and drizzly. Immediately out of the shop I tried messing with track mode, but the roads were horribly damp and greasy, so I soon had it back in Sport, for most of my ride home.

At one point as you cross the chalk ridge of the North Downs, there is a downhill stretch that bottoms out, and then rises quite steeply. I came down the hill in 4th at about 45-50 mph, and thought I'd just punch up the hill on the torque, so at the bottom of the hill, I gave it some right hand.

To my surprise, the engine raced, the rear spun, and the bike squirmed as the rear drifted out to the left before straightening up and regaining its composure. I didn't see the TC light come on, but then I wasn't looking.

So is that normal? I didn't think the TC should allow that to happen, or is it that it did react and save me, and I just noticed the early part of the spin in the fraction of a second before it kicked in?

Thoughts?

·
Registered
80 Posts
Had similar on my 1290 SAS, damp n greasy Road just after a roundabout. Gave it a handful, tyre squirmed left n right before correcting. First time had this, was very ham fisted with the throttle and feel if it hadn't have had TC it would have spat me off.

·
Administrator
9,293 Posts
What mode was you in?

·
Registered
44 Posts
And what level was the TC set to? Put it in Track Mode and the TC level number appears on the dash, and you can change it on the go using the up and down buttons on the left bar. Change back to Sport or Street mode and the TC will remain at the level you chose. IIRC the higher the TC number, the more"assistance" it will provide.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I hadn't changed the TC level, and was back in Sport mode. I can't believe the TC remains at the level you set in Track mode when you go back to one of the standard modes. Does it??

·
Registered
4,327 Posts
It was the TC telling you you're not at the limit yet

·
Registered
2017 Super Duke GT
3 Posts
My 2017 GT's TC stepped in for me two weeks ago, exiting a roundabout. Was in Street mode, on dark, wet roads, perhaps being a little cocky with the throttle. Strong possibility there was diesel/oil on the roundabout.

I heard it start to spin and felt it slide sideways, and the TC jumped on it instantly, way before I had time to react. The whole thing happened in a split second. First time I've experienced the TC working hard; definitely does work (luckily). Pretty sure I'd have been on the deck without it.

I didn't notice the TC light come on, but I was doing the bunny in the headlights frozen panic thing, so probably missed it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Last night as I left work I had my 2017 GT spin up more than I thought it would have let it, but to be fair I was kinda trying to do it to see how slippy it was. In 2nd gear being stupid on the throttle. I’ve seen the light flash on before here and there when I’ve been pushing on. I have also had the front wheel lock up for longer than I’d hoped while “checking for grip” which kinda zaps you’re confidence in the system . Both times not sure if the slide stopped by me easing off or the electrickery working!!

·
Registered
237 Posts
Never gad this problem, but then my TC has been switched off since 2 weeks after getting the bike nearly 3 1/2 years ago. It's far too intrusive and I like wheelies.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I survived 30 years without TC, and had 150BHP over 20 years ago - and tyres have come a long way since then.

Having said that I tend to leave it on with my Adventure as a "Safety Net", but it is fairly unobtrusive in the dry, except for preventing wheelies, wish it had a big button to turn it off easily as you approach a crest in the road.

My 1190 might of saved me once, coming round a wonderful Alpine curve and winding it on whilst cranked over about as far as I ever lean and the rear wheel moved a little and I would like to think I rolled off just enough to perfectly control the spin, in reality I think the TC had to intervene quite a lot and without it I might of been launched off the mountain - but without TC I probably would never of been using that much throttle that far over.

My abuse of the throttle has grown a lot since ownings TC bikes, prior to having this safety net I now realise I was being a real wuss!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I survived 30 years without TC, and had 150BHP over 20 years ago - and tyres have come a long way since then.

Having said that I tend to leave it on with my Adventure as a "Safety Net", but it is fairly unobtrusive in the dry, except for preventing wheelies, wish it had a big button to turn it off easily as you approach a crest in the road.

My 1190 might of saved me once, coming round a wonderful Alpine curve and winding it on whilst cranked over about as far as I ever lean and the rear wheel moved a little and I would like to think I rolled off just enough to perfectly control the spin, in reality I think the TC had to intervene quite a lot and without it I might of been launched off the mountain - but without TC I probably would never of been using that much throttle that far over.

My abuse of the throttle has grown a lot since ownings TC bikes, prior to having this safety net I now realise I was being a real wuss!
[/QUOTE

·
Registered
9 Posts
As you say, it’s a safety net for that day when you get that car pulling out just round a wet bend etc.. But , I guess you find yourself like me riding to it knowing you have a safety net . As when I don’t have abs or TC in the wet I think I give myself a bit more braking space and a bit longer before getting on the gas..
The other day I went out and the best temp I saw all day was 0c , gives you a bit of reassurance then!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts