KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
You asking for possible models or bikes for sale?

I had a DRZ400S which was very good, swapped my FE350 for a mates XR400 for a 6 miles Enduro lap the other week and was surprised how nice it was at my novice trail riding pace.

Finding a good example of either is probably a challnge these days.

·
Registered
525 Posts
Another vote for XR400. Apart from having no electric boot, altho there is an after market conversion to be had, I believe. Very competent trail bike, OK on the road, air cooled, simple, last for ever. Good ones are getting expensive these days, but there's plenty about if you're prepared to buy a snotter and do a bit of work on it.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I Had an XR400 for several years, solid and comfortable bike. Quite tall but you can lower them using a link extension.
It’s heavy and if you fit an electric starter it’s very heavy. If you drop it they are bitches to restart.
Otherwise a decent bike but my 400 exc (RFS) is a much better bike.

Lark09

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
If you drop it they are bitches to restart.
Otherwise a decent bike but my 400 exc (RFS) is a much better bike.
My mates thinking of selling his and getting an Enduro with electric start, the starting thing can be a real PITA and he can get more knackered from starting the bike than riding it some days. Plus we have no decent trails so just trailer to ride elsewhere so an Enduro makes more sense.

Also seems to me these days he is just abusing an appreciating classic, they really are great looking bikes.

·
Registered
588 Posts
I had a DR350 as a bit of a field bike when I was 15 (20 years ago, where has the time gone!) and I think it would make a great trail/greenlaning bike. My EXCf350 seems a bit wasted plodding along the A40 in Llandovery between lanes! Actually I've still got the DR, but it was bike bought from the freeads by my dad quickly and cheaply for Xmas, and it didnt't have any frame or engine numbers. In hindsight, we probably shouldn't have bought it, but there we go. I don't suppose any one has got a knackered DR hanging about that I could swap enough parts about to make a good working road legal one?

·
Registered
940 Posts
A great bike. Seeing your pic made me think of mine and I really regret that I sold it. Must have been drunken....

View attachment 39287
Lovely bikes them 650’s!!, do you still think they can cut it as a trail bike these days??,
I’m to young to remember them, but every one who has owned one regrets selling them!

Wasn’t there a knack to starting them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
Lovely bikes them 650’s!!, do you still think they can cut it as a trail bike these days??,
I’m to young to remember them, but every one who has owned one regrets selling them!

Wasn’t there a knack to starting them!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yeah well, when time passes we tend to forget the bad things and only remember and talk about the good things. My 650 (off course no e-start model) started well cold, but I needed to follow a procedure and if I didn't it would not start.

It was: fuel tap - opened, tilt bike over on its left side as far as possible, fuel runs out the overflow-checked, pull clutch in, open throttle a tad, kick and open throttle further - and 8 out of ten times it did not need more than 3 attempts.

It was a bitch when hot and sometimes made me crazy and I kicked like a dick. When it was running it was a pleasure to ride on cart roads and dirt tracks and its suspension was good enough to master one or the other hard enduro section. But no doubt it was a heavy pig compared to todays bikes. It was reliable, did not need a fan and changing oil was a nightmare. Good thing was it was capable of doing longer trips with luggage and even on motorways it worked well at moderate speeds.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I had one of the first DR350Ss in the UK. No electric start, but usually quite easy to start. Most difficult if it stalled on a steep hill, in a rut or water. A fine trail bike, and quite capable of going to Morocco if you didn't ride at silly speed on the road (it would do nearly 90, but at HUGE cost in fuel). Ridden normally green-laning it would do about 50 mpg, and was so quiet that no one ever seemed to take offence to it.
Then I stupidly sold it and got an Italian-built Husky TE610E...it never completed a journey without something going wrong.

·
Registered
777 Posts
I was sent a picture of the Suzuki, and I was able to put the reg into the DVLA to see what happened to it.
Sad to say, not MoT'd since I sold it. Not currently taxed or SORN. IIRC, the guy I sold it to was living in London, so it probably got nicked. Ironically, he was a copper!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts