KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of November's Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 39 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
10,078 Posts
Had this wrr years best trail bike I have owned little heavy but very capable and yam reliability..CRM 250 is a great choice but silly money now for a good one...
Those WR R's are a great bike

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
Any XR will start first kick if you’ve jetted it right and you push the kicker and not kick like a 2t.
Starting a big 4t kicker is like making love to a beautiful woman, you can’t rush it. Get everything in order. Stay calm. Put effort in when needed. Job done.

My wife disagrees but my mum said this is totally right.

·
Registered
1,386 Posts
Any XR will start first kick if you’ve jetted it right and you push the kicker and not kick like a 2t.
Starting a big 4t kicker is like making love to a beautiful woman, you can’t rush it. Get everything in order. Stay calm. Put effort in when needed. Job done.

Very common to break the kick starter on them, I loved mine but would not even think about them now, massive issues: starting after fall, the forks, the seat, the shear weight and bulk

One word: Fantic

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
422 Posts
Very common to break the kick starter on them, I loved mine but would not even think about them now, massive issues: starting after fall, the forks, the seat, the shear weight and bulk

Kickstarter was only a problem on early bikes like yours, on 1996 & 97 bikes - they increased the shaft diameter and kickstart design on 1998 bikes onwards

XR400R is still a great trail bike

Who needs a full bore enduro for trails now, in Yorkshire they’re mostly all graded roads now

Out on mine last Sunday and does it all and far better on the numerous road sections that link the trails nowadays than a pukka enduro

·
Registered
4,019 Posts

One word: Fantic

One word Yamahaic :LOL: I assume the fantic thing is to do with smaller "manufactures" able to register bikes with less hassle.

·
Registered
9,879 Posts
I reckon any XR would still make a fantastic trail bike. Modern enduro bikes are almost to good at making things to easy.

I had an XR 400. That was a 97. It’s kicker snapped. I think it was something like £90 for a new one right back then! I then moved onto the 600. That was a far better bike for me. Bloody loved it. It died after getting washed away in a welsh river. Re built it but it never quite felt right again. I chopped it in for a 2003 200exc in 2003. That was me back on 2t and my first ktm.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
Enduro bike with yam engine, in fact it is a yam with a few different bits of bodywork. Never thought anyone would take the chinese engined bike seriously, title says that aint pigs, that said it also says trail bikes:(

·
Registered
136 Posts

My old XR400 could be a pig to start especially after an off. I was shown a routine of throttle open, decompressor pulled in 10 kicks then kick as normal if it didn't start in a couple of kicks repeat. A pain but it always started eventually. Apparently a different carb transforms them . Sadly sold it 3 years ago & my kdx 220 at the same time now that was a great trail bike. Kept my XT550 , always easy to start.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
Didva stupidly wet day at greensands, paddled my way around in about 45 minutes instead of usual <20, mate kept dropping his XR and took over 2 hours, about 1.15 of that was trying to start the fucking thing, looked like he had done 3 marathons followed by 12 rounds with Tyson

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Enduro bike with yam engine, in fact it is a yam with a few different bits of bodywork. Never thought anyone would take the chinese engined bike seriously, title says that aint pigs, that said it also says trail bikes:(
If it's a yam with different bodywork why not buy the yam which appears to cost less

·
Premium Member
9,888 Posts
When i was in my late 20's, back when most people only had the one do it all bike, l had a dr600 ....... that was an amazingly good bike on easy trails and fine for thumping along on the road. Almost tempted to get one to regret buying one ..... rose tinted glasses and all that.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
If it's a yam with different bodywork why not buy the yam which appears to cost less
We did X 3 ;)
You can get the fantic as an enduro bike or mx, I debated about getting the fantic enduros(thread on here somewhere) but in the end got the yamaha yz's because they cost less as you say and resale value will be better for yamaha. We had 3 21 yz 125's , sold one of them a few weeks ago and took delivery of a 22 yz 125 yesterday.

The different plastics is the case for the 2 strokes not had a good look at the 4 strokes but I assume it is the same idea, looks it at a glance.

·
Registered
3,047 Posts
Trailriding on an enduro bike is heaven to me.
I dont understand why anyone would trairide on anything else.
KTM 250,350,450 or 500 4strokes,
2012 onwards.
Fit a 15 front sprocket and away you go,
simple as that...

Reactions: Miner
21 - 39 of 39 Posts