KTM Owners Forum banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of October's Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just thought I’d share my GPS setup for trail riding, I’m not saying it’s the best, but it’s working good for me!
Tried the Road Angel, but couldn’t see it clearly and wasn’t very user friendly.

Ended up with ...
Second hand Motorola Defy Android phone (ebay £50) Running “BackCountry Navigator

RAM mount system - DOUBLE SOCKET ARM ;

1" BALL MOTORCYCLE BASE

Waterproof Case ...

Power was an issue to ride for a full day with the screen on, so modified a car USB charger and sealed into a little case to feed power from the bike, or you could use an extended battery.
Backcountry is great, I paid for the app, I think just over a tenner, then all map downloads are free ! enough detail to see trails. I usually plan a route on the PC, then transfer the gpx file to the phone via wifi and follow the route. Can also be used to track a route your following.
System has all the GPS functions I needed, plus fitted a PAYG SIM card for an emergency phone, and it’s a camera and any other app you use.
The Motorola is supposedly waterproof, but I doubt its capabilities, hence the case. You could of course use any android phone with GPS.
I think total spend was just over £100.
Has handled a lot of rain, not submerged it yet, and don’t want to try ! And quite a few tumbles with no issue (The RAM mount will swivel on impact)
Pros –
Cheap(ish)
Versatile
Cons –
Cant change settings with gloves on
A little difficult to see in full sun
More Pics to follow ..

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
The problem with using phones is they heat up and eventually cook the circuitboard ( i have burned 2), look at the peaklife gps system which can be bought for around £90 new and then contact me for cards that come installed with OS maps covering the whole of the UK 1:50 and IGO 8 ready to go .

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The problem with using phones is they heat up and eventually cook the circuitboard ( i have burned 2), look at the peaklife gps system which can be bought for around £90 new and then contact me for cards that come installed with OS maps covering the whole of the UK 1:50 and IGO 8 ready to go .
I've been using for a year or so now, same phone and no issues with cooking.
Peaklife looks interesting, but isn't IGO 8 only for road maps, ie can you load a gpx file ?

·
Registered
852 Posts
I use the satmap with the bar mount works well for me and the mates have them also so can share routes :D battery last easy full day and more and I carry a spare

Stevie

Reactions: Scott02464

·
Registered
1,604 Posts
I've been using for a year or so now, same phone and no issues with cooking.
Peaklife looks interesting, but isn't IGO 8 only for road maps, ie can you load a gpx file ?
Yes but the OS maps i have installed are the full version of memory map covering the whole of the UK,You can run loads of different files including GPX, i have passed thes on to loads of people over on the ABR forum and they have been more than happy.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts