KTM Owners Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
As an alternative for others, Redtread in Competa are very good, although they aren't KTM :-0

They are Honda sponsored and they do a very good job of training, finding good trails and making sure everyone keeps together (they have a two guides).

·
Registered
639 Posts
thanks mate. I'm going to do one of these trips propably next year (well, hopefully...) on hire bike and with guide. now I know who not to choose. thanks. Vic

·
Registered
282 Posts
Oh whoops! :eek: Some mates and I used these guys last year.....and for some reason beyond me, have ....eeerrr...booked again for this year. We had quite a laugh, but I can only agree with a lot of the original author's comments.

I am wondering if our organiser used them because of the money?? Redtread or whatever the other company in Competa is, looked far more organised, even riding about in co-ordinated clothing, looking very smart.

A concern tha we did have, was that no First Aid kit was carried by anyone, and when a member of our crew lunched it and bust his collar bone, he was given 2 choices - Ride back down the mountain, the long way....or ride back down the (sheer drop) fast way! :eek: Upon arrival back at base, we thought the guys wife would take care of him and drive him off to hospital or medical centre. No such luck - the hotel man did, and he had no English and our mate had no Spanish. The only other option was for the main man to go, which would have meant stopping for the day...and we were only an hour and a half into it! :hmh:

We also maintained the bikes each evening ourselves. Well, oiled the chains...as no one else was going to do it.

In agreement with the author, perhaps the owner needs to re-find his passion, and not rest on the wads of cash. There was about 13 of us, all paying around £300 for 2 days. Not bad earnings at all, eh?

The really, really good part was the evenings in Competa, where, despite it being a tiny village, had loads of cheap restaurants that were very good! Much fun was had by all!

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
intresting read, sounds like a load of crap to me! bet you don't get a penny back from them though...
Didn't leave until that was resolved mate! It's too late once you leave the country.

Got a novice track day @ Cadwell on October 22nd to look forward to now!

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
We did torotrail a few years ago it was crap a mixture of people who had never riden a bike and good riders no organition and dustyvfarm roads with the odd speed bump as a hill good crack on a night though!!!

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
X2 for Torotrail. Had a days ride with them last year. great bloke and very careing.

My brother went with him this year and can confirm new clothing and new fleet of bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Just back from 5 days in Spain, based around 3 days riding with Trailblazers. What a disappointment.
Had a pair of KTMs booked for me and my mate, was assured they'd be there for us. Had we not been promised the KTMs I'd have gone to Dust Devils in Marbella instead. Got there to find one 450exc and one WR450. Sllightly disappointing but I'm not that great a rider that it would make much difference so we just bit our tongues and got on with it.
Before we headed out we were told that the good trails on the mountain were shut due to fire hazard. This was 3 weeks after I made the booking and was advised that it would be more varied if we spent a day at Competa instead of every day at Mijas. So day one at Competa was to be spent pootling around a load of dusty mountain farm tracks, not exactly trail riding. Disappointing.
Stopped for petrol on the way out, my mate checked his tyre pressure (on a prepped up hire bike just out of the garage) - flat as a pancake, didn't even register on the gauge. Disappointing.
The pace could at best be described as very slow, possibly bordering on slow at times. Disappointing.
We wrote off day one, hoping that day two in Mijas would be better. We'd already decided that if day two was as poor as day one we'd be asking for a refund. We were joined by three more english fellas at Mijas for day two. 50 yards out of the garage and two of them are trying throtttle wheelies in the fairly busy village. We decided to hang back at the rear of the group out of the way.
The day went on, bit of roosting, bit of ripping, bit of crashing. Perfect! When the 3 other lads are helping me get my WR back on the trail after stacking it down a cliff the guide sudddenly tells my mate that the other 3 guys have been complaining about getting roosted twice and overtaken on a corner once. Why wait til that moment to tell us? Why tell the guide and not us? What did they think we'd say? Disappointing.
More throttle wheelies from them on the way home, coming close to stacking it about 2 bike lengths in front of me and bouncing all over the road.
Oh yeah, forgot to say there was a local authority 4x4 on the trail when we left the garge in the morning with a council official telling the guide not to ride the trails that day. He ignored him and rode the trails anyway. Made for better riding, but possibly an interesting claim to the travel insurers had anything caught fire!
The slowest rider from the other 3 got lost a couple of times. Did the guide or his mates go to look for him? No. My mate went back to get him and give him some riding tips to help him keep the pace. Disappointing.
So we got back to the garge and invited the guys for a beer to say thanks for helping pull the bike up the cliff. They refused. Ah well, no rules saying you need to be friendly. Guide said see you all tomorrow.
We turned up next morning to be told "there's a problem with the group, you're not riding today" to my mate. He asked if the guide thought he had been dangerous or reckless. "No, just a little bit fast" was the reply. Riding a 450exc a little bit fast on a mountain trail! Oh man! No wonder he was asked to leave! The guide then had the front to say that I was still going to ride. Oh yeah, I'll leave my mate on his own for the day while I go riding with these twats. Refund for me too please. "but you can still ride, there's no problem with you" was the guide's response. What kind of mate ditches his buddy to go riding with a load of twats? We went straight back to fuengirola, hired a pair of YBR125s from Motomercado and thrashed the shit out of them for the day instead. Did some trails, some mountain tarmac roads, took in the harbour at Puerto Banus and had some thrills riding round Fuengirola town at night too. Perfect!

All in all poorly maintained bikes (all the WRs were stalling all day and didn't like starting), poorly put together groups (total novice to enduro rider in same group), poorly planned routes, and a guide that has obviously lost his passion for what he does for a living. I'd never go back to trailblazers spain, would never recommend trailblazers spain, and don't expect trailblazers spain will be in existence for much longer unless the guide gets his love of bikes back, starts looking after his bikes and stops riding such piss poor trails. If you're considering going riding in Spain then don't use them unless you're a total novice trail rider that is used to riding on tarmac (cos there's plenty of that too). And make sure you get good travel insurance because you'll probably need it.

Thanks for taking the time to read this review.

Have a look at Andalucian Trail Tours Guided Off Road Motorcycle Adventure Tours in Southern Spain. Trail Riding Holidays. Grenn Laning in Europe just sherco and beta 540s but great trails and lots of challenges with riding tailored to suit you

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Interesting thread.

Me and scriberman went riding with Trailblazers a couple of years ago.

No problem with the bikes as we had a couple of nearly new KTM 450's.

Graham and liz really nice people.

Didn't do enough riding each day. Started at 10:00, finished at 4:00. By time you took out hour long lunch break and afternoon tea break there wasn't much time left for riding.

Riding was really pants. Not really off roading as we were just riding dirt roads that normal cars used every day.

Can have more fun riding around salisbury Plain......

·
Registered
521 Posts
Can vouch for Andy at Andalucian Trail tours, he's a really good guy. Been out there a couple of times for a days riding whilst working down there. Very accommodating, even took me out on my own at very short notice. I'm a real novice off road, but the trails we took were great and are tailored to the guys skills. Worth a try IMHO.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd say trailblazers is really for people that haven't done any previous dirt biking. I agree with crash test dummy... too much sitting about talking and not nearly enough boosting. Given the amazing terrain the chance was there for some awesome riding and sadly that wasn't the case. Would probably be inclined to take our own bikes next time. Once you work out the cost per day of a tour operator it would probably work out about even to stick 2 or 3 bikes in a van and drive down there.

The whole point of going to Spain is that the trails aren't being closed down like they are here so you've got the freedom to do some awesome ripping - anyone that takes advantage of that is on to a winning business. Anyone for paella????

·
Registered
27 Posts
I`ve been with Trailblazers twice now, first was about 4 years ago and then two years later. The first time was at Competa (it based at their house then as they hadn`t yet moved into the shop in town) with Graham the owner and I would agree the experience was a bit same old, same old. Not a lot of variety. The bikes were Suzuki DRZ`s, they did also have a Honda and Yamaha but they weren`t available. When we got back on the evening, Graham had to then work on the bikes until the early hours the following morning including straightening a rear wheel that had caught a rock - something I would have thought was fairly common and therefore should have warranted keeping a spare rear wheel back at the ranch. The bikes were a bit long in the tooth and were ready to be replaced.

However the second time we went, we were based in a different place with a guide called Tim, on all nearly brand new KTM 450exc`s, all brand new Alpinestars and FOX kit. There was loads of variety in the terrain and tracks he used, riverbeds, dirt tracks, green lanes, mountain trails, forest hill climbs. We complained about their choice of accomodation and they gave a part refund, no questions asked.

If you go on their website, there is now no mention of Tim or that location so I think he may have had his money out and left which is a shame because I think he had very different ideas on what the riders want from their rather pricey holiday. He also seemed to run his bit more business like i.e. employing a mechanic to prepare the bikes.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.