KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... How many miles is safe on a second hand van? Seeing Transit customs with around 100k for around 9-10 grand. That's a lot of cash so is 100k nothing to a modern van?

Alternative vans are the usual contenders - dispatch, Vito, traffic. I seem to remember that the transits have shit locks or something?

Van is needed for daily commute and carrying one or two bikes.

Never had a van before so know SFA about them really. Can't justify the extra for a transporter. What do you think?

·
Registered
444 Posts
I cant comment on the durability of the Transit, ours in work has done less than 40k in 6 years. It spends most of its time parked up or doing short little trips, but I have done some long days in it and it's about the best van I've ever driven from a comfort and driving point of view. Ours is only a 125hp but itll sit at 80 all day long and averages about 35mpg. I've driven a couple of Transporters and while they slightly more car like in the way they drive, I think it's out weighed by the smaller load space. I've borrowed ours for a couple of race days and it'll take 3 bikes nicely, I think it might be a bit tight in a Transporter. Obviously if its only you then it's not so much of a problem, but its always nice to have more space, plus you'll get a newer and better spec'd transit for the same money as an older base spec VW. I havnt driven any of the newer mid sized vans but I have driven the slightly smaller old shape Citroën Dispatch. It drives like a small van should, but I dont know if you would get an enduro bike in the back tho, it might be a bit low. My mate puts his Blade in his, but it's smaller in all dimensions than a dirt bike. The newer Dispatch and its Peogeot sister does look a touch bigger tho so may fit the bill and be a bit easier for day to day driving.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I've been going round in circles recently trying to find a smaller van. The problem with vans below Transit or Transporter size seems to be the rear door frame height rather than the inside roof height. Most will take the length ok if the bike is put in corner to corner.

I may have to go for a small front bike wheel to get the handlebars under the door opening.

There's a van dealer near me who gets batches of used vans from companies like The AA, Sky and British Gas. The 100,000 miles for £7k-£10k seems faily common with the overall body condition setting the final price. I know a few people who have bought 100,000 mile plus vans for bike use and they have been fine if they have been looked after.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the problem is trying to find the perfect do it all vehicle for sensible money. I guess the transporter fits the bill but that's why they are so expensive.

Just seen the Toyota proace. Looks like a nice van for reasonable money (although above my budget). Anyone know what they are like?

·
Registered
472 Posts
The Proace looks nice. I'm assuming that's the Hiace replacement and they were always reliable, I understand. The Nissan NV200 too. I spoke to a guy delivering motor parts in one. He reckoned it it was a real flyer and drove very well.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Hired a new shaped Dispatch/Expert/ProAce a few times. The mid size the bike fits straight in down middle not angled. Has about 5 inches to rear doors

It’s compact but you can carry a decent amount.
They are showing up used now low miles about 10k
Drives nippy. Feels like a large SUV

Don’t get the 5 speed. Loaded up your ringing it’s neck on mway.
I found on the same run over to Tong a Transit was more economical than a smaller van with a lesser engine.

Tired of hiring vans but they just seemed to get robbed or ransacked all the time at the moment.

·
Registered
485 Posts
The Proace a rebadged Peugeot. Nothing like the original bomb proof Toyota. I had sn old shape Expert a couple of years ago. Went well and good on fuel, room for 2 bikes, but the shittest build quality. Flimsy, rattley, the glove box dropped open every time you went over a speed bump. Terrible door locks, none of them worked on the key, badly fitting rear doors that wouldn't stay shut, side doors didn't fit so loads of noise a motorway speeds.

I bought a Hyundai iload after that heap of shit. Ok, not as cool and trendy as a T5,but not bothered about that. And I dont feel obliged to buy a private plate that sonehow has T5 in it somewhere, just so everyone will know how special I am. Iload has been faultless up to now, those Koreans seem to know what they are doing.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
My son bought a new 125bhp Custom Limited model in 2016 - just used privately for 3 years, mainly to motocross practice days - had a Risk Racing lock and load in it, but also occasionally had a second bike in it as well so enough space. Trouble free all that time. Now has a facelift automatic 170 bhp Sport - real good vehicle and no problems after many months. If you are going for a used Custom would certainly recommend a Limited as their spec level is high for a van - they are also as quiet as a car inside and give good mpg.

·
Premium Member
6,846 Posts
Hiace. room for two bikes and kit. bombproof. mine has 170,000 on it. ..... my hilux has over 200,000 ....... just change the oil regularly.

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Excellent cheers. I'm hiring one this weekend to see what they're like. Have seen a couple of decent looking experts for sensible money though so will have to have a look.

About mileage - is 100k still an indicator that its well used or is that nothing nowadays?

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
About mileage - is 100k still an indicator that its well used or is that nothing nowadays?
I'd say it depends greatly on usage. Worst case would be something like an ex DPD van doing 100 drops a day which'll have had a load of stop start / 1st, 2nd and 3rd use and likely have quite a bit of wear for the milage. On the other hand if it's just been trundling up and down the motorway then wear will be minimal and a decent sized diesel will be good for way more than 100k. I've got a Vito that had been used for cross channel trips that's now got over 200k on it and it's fine. Indeed I checked with a couple of dealers service departments that I used to deal with through work before buying and they'd seen ones with 400k on them that were still going strong.

Old Vitos (first gen w638) were indeed rust prone but the w639 (2004 onwards) are galvanised so you should be fine. Takes two bikes easily (three if need be) each with one strap due to conveniently for a bike located strap points goes and drives well (RWD). Oh and vans with tailgates are IMO preferable as you can get changed / sit under it when it's pissing it down!

·
Registered
472 Posts
The dealer I mentioned currently has about 30 yellow ex-AA Transporters all with tail gates and many still racked out for AA spares. £10k buys a 100k mile van dropping to £8k for a 165k mile one. All plus VAT, all 2015 models with aircon, 2 litre 140 HP T32 SWB.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Transporters are the biggest waste of money going. Have just as many (if not more) problems as any other van but people are obsessed with them & pay over the odds for a badge. They big on the outside, small on the inside.
They drive well but IMO a Vito is a better van if you're going high-end.

I've had 3/4 transits over the years (but not since a 2006 model) and all have been bullet proof. They're a bit more agricultural but if buying 2nd hand, that's a big + in my book.

If wanting a bit of comfort, i'd be tempted by the french option.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Ford have been producing Transits since 1965, so they should know what they are doing by now. By far the best van out there.....IMO. Trouble is, it does come at a price. We have purchased new Renault Trafics, fully loaded, cheaper than a base Transit.

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
Bob's Sport is pretty well loaded but to be fair he specced a load of extras - auto box (which can also be used as full clutchless manual), led lights, cross traffic alert, adaptive cruise control, blind spot assist, spots come on and point into corner as you turn tight, 1/2 leather heated seats, led load lights, single rear door. He's added a rear spoiler, front splitter to the sport front bumper. Burnt orange with black 20" OZ M Sport alloys - real smart van. He would have got a pretty basic Transporter or a used sport one for the same money. One of his pals has just paid £51000 for an MS-RT Custom!

·
Registered
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Bob's Sport is pretty well loaded but to be fair he specced a load of extras - auto box (which can also be used as full clutchless manual), led lights, cross traffic alert, adaptive cruise control, blind spot assist, spots come on and point into corner as you turn tight, 1/2 leather heated seats, led load lights, single rear door. He's added a rear spoiler, front splitter to the sport front bumper. Burnt orange with black 20" OZ M Sport alloys - real smart van. He would have got a pretty basic Transporter or a used sport one for the same money. One of his pals has just paid £51000 for an MS-RT Custom!
:eek:

Yeah... All sounds lovely but a fair bit out of my budget. I don't mind spanking 7 grand on a new bike but I've never paid more than £850 for a car!! I think with a van I might stretch to 10k but more likely 5k. I just can't bring myself to spend that sort of money on something I'll treat like shit and inevitably end up scrapping.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I wouldn't be keen to bounce a £51k anything down a farm track or forest road to an event start, never mind a nice muddy field!

·
Registered
1,862 Posts
He doesn't use it for going into fields - the MS-RT is just a toy. Even got a sound box - makes a 2.0 diesel sound like a V8. Some folks have money to burn, some don't. Nice van though.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts