KTM Owners Forum banner

21 - 40 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
For 5k get a Peugeot expert.
I do 1000 miles per week in one. As said the finish is shit. You either get one with working electrics or you dont... quality control that side of things (I'm talking electric windows and locks here) its hit and miss.

The plus side. It's cheap. 120hp 2.0 diesel is absolutely bullet proof.
They never rust if you get a coloured one.
So easy and cheap to service. Parts really cheap. Any mechanic can work on it. It's still old school.
50 mpg on a run even with 2 bikes in the back.
Theres a LWB and high top version. I currently have the LWB. It gives an extra 1ft of space for kit.

2 bikes fit easy, 3 a squeeze but can be done.

I'm on my 4th one now. Buy them with 50k ish on the clock and run them to 230k and sell them on and start again

·
Registered
64 Posts
There's a lot to be said for class 7 (3.5t) vans if you are doing less than around 10,000 miles a year. People are scared of owning them and you can end up with a lot of van for your money. My old medium wheel base VW LT35 is the same sort of length as an estate car, although obviously a fair bit wider. I spent a few £k on body / paint repairs a few years back that turned out to be a good investment and regularly get advised by mechanics to hold on to the vehicle for as long as possible because they rate it above the newer models. Downside from an enduro point of view, rear wheel drive gets stuck easier than front on the paddock. I need the 3.5t weight capacity for work, but even if that wasn't the case would probably still have the same van. Would get higher roof one that I can properly stand up in the back of next time.

·
Registered
485 Posts
He doesn't use it for going into fields - the MS-RT is just a toy. Even got a sound box - makes a 2.0 diesel sound like a V8. Some folks have money to burn, some don't. Nice van though.
A fucking sound box? To make it sound like a V8? I know nothing about this bloke, and that 1 piece of info makes me think he's a bellend. Ironic really, cos he probably thinks it makes people think he's really cool.:D

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
A fucking sound box? To make it sound like a V8? I know nothing about this bloke, and that 1 piece of info makes me think he's a bellend. Ironic really, cos he probably thinks it makes people think he's really cool.:D
I reckon he’s got a bonnet bra too!

My custom ltd has been great for the last 5 years, getting another soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Anyone concerned about the security issues with transits?

I do have my eye on an Expert but it looks a bit cheap so wonder if something is up with it. Any engine stuff to look out for? I think a SWB will fit a full sized enduro bike lengthwise, won't it?

·
Registered
332 Posts
Short wheelbase will fit 2 bikes no problem.
It's just helmet, boots , camping gear if needed has to be slid up the side of the bike.
Make sure you get a 2.0 one. The 1.6 can be troublesome and worse mpg

·
Registered
269 Posts
I’ve got a LWB transit custom ltd crew cab for work. It was the first batch of the new 2l engines which were leaking diesel through the bores and contaminating the oil. Fixed after a couple of visits in the first six months. They have also updated the drivers door lock, so turning it twice now doesn’t open the rear compartment. Scrotes were using a pair of pliers to force the lock/big plastic surround on the door lock to access the rear.

I’ve got it for another eighteen months then it’ll be swapped for another one. As with everything, there are good and bad ones. Assuming whatever you get has been look after, they’re great vans. Much more space than a transporter too

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
MS-RT fit the box as standard. Sounds good. Guy is anything but a bell end by the way. Young Bob has a half bonnet bra on his Sport to stop stone chips. As a family we work hard for our money and like to have nice things and keep them nice. We don't slag off the peeps who turn up in old banger vans to motocross. Good luck to them if that is all they can afford

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Transporters are the biggest waste of money going. Have just as many (if not more) problems as any other van but people are obsessed with them & pay over the odds for a badge. They big on the outside, small on the inside.
They drive well but IMO a Vito is a better van if you're going high-end.

I've had 3/4 transits over the years (but not since a 2006 model) and all have been bullet proof. They're a bit more agricultural but if buying 2nd hand, that's a big + in my book.

If wanting a bit of comfort, i'd be tempted by the french option.
I’ve got a 19 transporter kombi. It’s insane money for something everyone puts similar kit on now. The only bit that’s really different is I have the 4 motion, rear diff lock bit and washable interior and removable seats. Great for family, dog, shit jobs. For work and bikes it’s super practical as I’m often covered in mud with both. The adaptive cruise and fancy lights make distance work easy 24hrs a day. 700 miles + to a tank is nice too- I got the big tank! It’s nudging 10k miles now in only a few months. It’ll be worthless at the end like all my vans/vehicles are due to plain old use/mileage. It’s factored into work though so it is what it is. My Fiat Fiorino Adventure vans blow the VW into the weeds on many things though other than you can live in the transporter and the bikes out of sight. With the Fiat you have to tow.

If you can’t put it through work by anything else. The expert gets my vote based on similar size. Tranny/vivaro if you need to carry three bikes. If just bikes buy an old giant Merc or tranny van and live in luxury at events. I tried a Vito for two days. It was hideous other than cruising on open roads, rear opening is a daft size, bikes have to lean over to fit in. To glitzy as well for a scrote like me. I’m still wearing 90s riding kit!

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Interesting about the Vito. They do look like the most civilised van after the transporter. But having a pain to load up will just piss me off. Problem is, I've got the cash to get what I want but I'm too tight to spend it on luxury/bling. On the other hand, I don't want to spend 5k on a shitter that will be a money pit..

Looking at an expert this weekend and have a transit custom to drive so that will help.

I see that there are fairly cheap and easy security upgrades for the transits so that's less of a worry.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I'm on my second transporter now since 2012 and had no problems. Both were 8 months old, SWB, 102hp and with a few thousand miles on the clock when purchased and came with 2 free services. Paid £15k + VAT for the first and 5 years later got £10k for it - so good resale value.
Interesting about the VW Kombi as that was what I wanted to get this time but my accountant said they have been classified as 'car' by HMRC so couldn't put it through my company without incurring company car tax.

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
My kombi hasn’t been an issue to put through or claim the vat back on? I’m not sure why your accountant is saying it’s a car? It’s a 3.2 ton van, it’s definitely not a car, it’s a commercial vehicle with commercial vehicle road tax etc. Definitely not a private car.

·
Registered
22 Posts
There was a case apparently between Coca-Cola and HMRC. Google it and there is lots of discussion about it. The bones of it are that HMRC have classified the Kombi as a car for tax but as a van for VAT purposes.
https://www.t6forum.com/threads/coca-cola-kombi’s-and-hmrc.11921/
My accountant said yes buy it but I would run the risk (albeit probably quite minimal) of being caught out and having the BIK backdated. I choose personally not too bother.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
So I test drove the Transit Custom today. Was generally unimpressed although it is definitely better than the older transits. Drive 4 hour round trip to view a used Expert only for it to have sold in the few hours between me phoning up and turning up.. absolute cunt. At least I'm pretty sure I couldn't live with a transit as a daily driver so that's something.

Do Vito's drive better than transits? The thing that got me most was the way it was utterly dead under 1800 rpm and has really short gears. Also the suspension and ride was pretty uncomfortable. Bearing in mind I'm used to driving big estate cars!

Hopefully find another expert to have a look at asap.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
What did you go for in the end Al?
Stuck with my POS Vectra estate... Only having room for one vehicle, it's still the best overall package. I'll hire a van for overnight events. Would still be tempted by a dispatch sized van maybe but actually find the car more convenient for going riding.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
Mmm. Have started looking again. Mates got a Expert L1 so gonna see if bike fits in straight as want to use a lock n load system. Seen a few around 5k in good enough nick now for weekend use.

Ugly as fck though :rotflmao:

·
Registered
8,337 Posts
Opposite end of the spectrum I know but I can chip in with a transporter kombi update. 15k miles in now. Still fine on fuel. Comfy. Adaptive cruise and posh headlights worth every penny on the extras list. The removable seats are excellent. You can pressure wash the inside out and towel dry and looks new again with a wipe of Rhino shine. Bikes hidden from view when moving about. 4wd is ace. Diff lock means it just drives over mud/grass. Not managed to sink it yet. Does over 600 miles to a tank. Overall it’s wearing well and scrubs up better than the fiats I use as small vans.

What I don’t like. Overall size, Fiat fiorinos are still my favourite and way more fun to drive for 1/4 of the money! Daft stop start when opening gates. Not as easy as putting the bike on the skeleton trailer. Speakers- you only get two and they are not as good as the fiats x4. I feel it could be far more refined/quieter considering the cost. Painted mirrors- bloody stupid and a waste of money, I’ve changed mine to stock basic plastic ones to try and make it less glitzy.

Overall, do I think it’s worth the money? No way! I really can’t see what the big deal is about them, it’s a pretty bland German van that when in car parks/fuel stations, it attracts twats with goaties and flip flops like piss heads to curry- “mate, I love the van man”. Me- “I ain’t your mate, go drool somewhere else please”. . Save ££££’s and get something far simpler and cheaper if you don’t need 4wd and removable seats. All this being said I’ll probably end up getting another though.

There’s a lot to be said for a small 4 seat van and trailer as long as you don’t mind everything on view. Some of the lightweight single axle box trailers make a really strong option and big enough to live in at events.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I treated myself to a new van last month, after driving my old Vito for 5 years I needed a change, modern vans really are nice to drive and offer car levels of comfort.

I had a budget of 8k but after viewing a few vans it became apparent I would need to up my budget, there's no way I was paying 8k for a van with ripped seats abused motor and a skip for the rear :wanker: .

I wonted a one owner less than 40,000 mile immaculate van privately sold with no vat, believe it or not that's a hard find even at 10k :mad:
I settled on a 15 plate trafic sport . Cracking van.

The only negative to a half decent van is all the tossers on site that feel it is there right to squeeze by it, open doors on it and generally don't give a fook about it. even resting there shit up against it :mad:

·
Registered
4,031 Posts
That puts me off a new van too.

I would stress about marks and dickheads breathing near it etc.

Put a scrape on my 10yr old transit last week and just shrugged it off. Liberating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

21 - 40 of 76 Posts