KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mornin',
I've returned to KTM after a brief, ill thought out, dalliance with a Kwak z900rs and got myself a new 1290 Adventure S.

Had a first ride on Friday and all was good. It reminded of my previous 1190 Adventure but just with more of everything.

Anyway, all was good until I got home and turned it off while I sorted the garage doors. It then wouldn't start and shows "Transport Lock" on the dashboard.

There's only one previous thread a couple of years ago that suggests it's a dealer cock up by not deactivating it before delivery.
Can anyone confirm this before I raise it with the dealer (who is collecting it and sorting it by the way). They are saying its never happened before and are scratching their heads but I suspect they know exactly what the cause is.

My experience of the dealer has been good so far by the way.

Thoughts welcome.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Is the steering lock just jammed?
I read something about moving the bars slightly to take the pressure off the lock mechanism.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Don't think so. I tried all sorts at the time before giving up and pushing it in the garage.
I'll have another look when I get home.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Sounds like a software issue then.
I can't see any reason to have a transport lock though, is it an anti theft thing?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Apparently it's a security measure so that a bike will only work for so long before this lock activates.
As I understand it it should be deactivated by the dealer before the bike is given to the purchaser but I was hoping someone on here cod confirm that for me.
I'd happily live with a dealer cock up rather than worry that it's s some software glitch that might happen again.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
Just out of interest, what was wrong with the Kwak z900rs?
My Mrs likes the look of them and it is a possible next bike for her.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
To be fair to the bike it looked the dogs (it was the green café version. 4 Kwaks and that was my only green one ?) and if my Mrs never went on the back I could probably have lived with it longer.

The fuelling is shocking. It is literally on or off and with a pillion it becomes a real pain. It's impossible to ride smoothly. Clutchless up changes made no difference.
The suspension is harsh too.
I've always loved Kwaks but I was genuinely spoiled by the 1190 adventure's quality which made the kwak versys that I tried before the z900rs feel a bit budget really. So I decided to go "basic" with the zed.

After a day at the TT last year I'd fallen out with it and didn't ride it again after coming home.
So really it was the fuelling that did my head in ?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update from the dealer that is coming out yo deactivate the transport lock.
Before I even asked they told me it's the fault of the dealer that I bought the bike from for not deactivating it prior to delivery.
At leat I know it's human error rather than a bike fault.
Should be sorted this afternoon ?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts