• Yes I've had problems with my 690.

Votes: 100 37.7%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 1277 Posts

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been wondering just what proportion of 690s have developed (any kind of) faults? Are they as unreliable as it sometimes seems? Over to you 690 owners. I'll get the ball rolling with my 690sm which has had/is having electrical problems.

·
Registered
462 Posts
6000+ miles, no problems that effect bike.

Did have fi light come on(before starting) once or twice.

Erm.. thats it, great bike, love it:D

·
Registered
197 Posts
344 miles side stand broke due to bolt coming loose and leaving the bike to become a puncture in somebodys tyre. This caused damage to exhaust and clutch lever.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A bit of a black & white question. Depends on what you see as trouble. Losing a valve cap or a breaking con rod? Or anything in between?
Yeah I know Max but I just wanted to see what proportion of people have had a problem. So far it looks pretty positive for the 690 (contrary to the impression that you often get on here). I'm getting mine back from the dealers tomorrow (3000 mile service and check the electrical system again to try and eliminate the gremlins). Hopefully it'll be back to it's best.

·
Registered
599 Posts
Speedo stopped working today after 1800miles. Took it the shop and it might be a faulty speed sensor. 1 week for part to arive....:eek: Looks like there is a couple of electrical problems on the 690's.

·
Registered
84 Posts
690 Issues:

There are a number of US owners complaining of stalling issues, mostly when coming to a stop sign or signal light, when the clutch is pulled in and the motor drops off to an idle. I've had it happen on several occasions but it's not a big deal to me and I'm able to ride accordingly to avoid the stalling. There seems to be no connection to modifications such as exhaust, canisterectomy, 2/3 gear derestriction or the number of miles accumulated so it's still a mystery.
There has also been an issue with 2 bikes, from one dealership, which developed some melting of the fuel tank and 4-bolt cover plate adjacent to the exhaust header. Upon inspecting my own, I see no issue and the near 20mm of separation makes me think they must have left the bikes idling in the sun for an hour or so...??

There's always going to be some issues and complaints about these motorbikes but I'm loving my SM and hardly ride my other bikes anymore.
wayne

·
Registered
40 Posts
I've had problems but they have all been small problems.

1. Top side stand bolt fell off (see other post)
2. Clutch slave cylinder failed
3. Front sprocket bolt seems to work loose after time, this may have caused the oil leakage from the gearbox output shaft.
4. A couple of bolts that hold the airbox to the rear subframe fell off. To be honest I don't ever remember seeing these, I suggest all 690 owners check these as I know two others who've had this happen.
5. One of the pistons on the front caliper almost seized (this is probably a case of lax maintenance on my part).

I think that's everything, I've had the bike just over a year and have covered nearly 9k miles.

·
Registered
316 Posts
cable loom at 1800km new clocks at 3200km cracked again 100km later and new selector drum at 3200km still got the surging between 3-4000 revs on light throttle. finnish not great.
some days its the most fun i have ever had (on two wheels) on others its a pile of shit
it has now done 7500 km and in the last 4000+km other than the clocks no other problems

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Leanover, I know what you mean, I swing between loving mine to bits and thinking I need to get rid of it as I no longer trust it.:frown: I've just picked it up after having the 3000 mile service done and the dealer can't find anything wrong with the electrics (always the problem with intermitent faults) and to be fair it ran really well on the way home. I guess I love it again at the moment.:D There's absolutely no way I'm shelling out on the Akras until I get my faith restored in the bike though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Leanover, I know what you mean, I swing between loving mine to bits and thinking I need to get rid of it as I no longer trust it.:frown: I've just picked it up after having the 3000 mile service done and the dealer can't find anything wrong with the electrics (always the problem with intermitent faults) and to be fair it ran really well on the way home. I guess I love it again at the moment.:D There's absolutely no way I'm shelling out on the Akras until I get my faith restored in the bike though.
you have hit the nail on the head
all the problems can be sorted but the cost is high about 1500 euros Exhaust,rear spring (i like my food) and the seat,that leaves me screeming after 50 miles but in there some where is my perfect bike. i must say it is so much better since the dealer rebuild but i think it will need a high amount of care (cleaning) i already have a a assortment of cleaning stuff to make a harley owner proud :eek:
what problem are you having with the electrics?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The engine died when I was riding (55mph, 4th gear) and then before I could react it went through the tacho sweep start up procedure and restarted itself (it all happened before I could pull the clutch in). Then last week it just stopped while I was putting my helmet on, went from tickover to completely dead (no display, no lights, no starter). The next day when I went to get the bike out to have it recovered to the dealers it was back to normal and has been ok since:confused: I rode it home from the dealers this morning and it was running great (I tried to get it to die by riding it off road a bit to see if the bumps would break the connection again but it was ok). The dealer has done nothing to it as they couldn't find a fault.
I keep thinking about the new Yamaha Tenere as I had intended to wait for the 690 Adventure in 2010 but I'm losing faith in KTM. The Tenere would undoubtedly be less powerful and not as entertaining as a KTM but I just want a bike that I can trust.

·
Registered
316 Posts
The engine died when I was riding (55mph, 4th gear) and then before I could react it went through the tacho sweep start up procedure and restarted itself (it all happened before I could pull the clutch in). Then last week it just stopped while I was putting my helmet on, went from tickover to completely dead (no display, no lights, no starter). The next day when I went to get the bike out to have it recovered to the dealers it was back to normal and has been ok since:confused: I rode it home from the dealers this morning and it was running great (I tried to get it to die by riding it off road a bit to see if the bumps would break the connection again but it was ok). The dealer has done nothing to it as they couldn't find a fault.
I keep thinking about the new Yamaha Tenere as I had intended to wait for the 690 Adventure in 2010 but I'm losing faith in KTM. The Tenere would undoubtedly be less powerful and not as entertaining as a KTM but I just want a bike that I can trust.
have you checked the three block connecters on the back of the battery box thats where my problems came from. i dont trust dealers (imo ktm have a long way to go with customer service) i pop the tank off once a mounth and clean all the connectors then wd40 them thats on top of the weekly clean and bolt check and wd40 the other connectors that i can get too

·
Registered
316 Posts
If that's your only criteria you've bought the wrong bike to start with... :)

Maybe a Beemer single. The Yam Ten is reliable alright but I'd rather watch paint dry...

4000 KMs on mine. Nothing so far.
so ktms are not reliable is that what you are saying?
ktms are not to be trusted a fun toy but not transport?
i wish ktm had put that on the web site
most of the problems seem to come from poor build quality

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
If that's your only criteria you've bought the wrong bike to start with... :).
Why do you say that? The bike's great for the riding I do, all that I want is a bike that goes when it's supposed to, is that too much to ask? I like to head into the less populated areas up here in Scotland where there are few facilities and often no phone reception so a bike that's behaving the way mine is at the moment falls some way short of the mark. In years gone by I would have been confident that I could get a big single running again myself but with the complexity of the electronics and fuel injection on modern bikes (like the 690), I'd be struggling. That problem would be the same whether I had a 690, a Tenere or a modern BMW single so I need it to be reliable. At the moment my 690 isn't (hopefully I'll be able to resolve the problem and grow to trust my bike again if not I'll swop it for something that I can rely on).

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
so ktms are not reliable is that what you are saying?
ktms are not to be trusted a fun toy but not transport?
i wish ktm had put that on the web site
most of the problems seem to come from poor build quality
EXACTLY leanover!

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
I'd like to understand whether many of the alleged problems relating to the 690 models are due to:

1) Poor design and specification of the bike
2) Poor quality control during assembly at the factory
3) Poor PDI and a lack of expertise/experience at the supplying dealership
4) Bike being badly treated (maintained, modded and ridden) by the owner

One of the reasons I purchased a KTM (not a 690) was their reputation for racing, reliability and quality components - just think Paris to Dakar!

1 - 20 of 1277 Posts