Votes: 163 62.0%
  • Yes I've had problems with my 690.

Votes: 100 38.0%

• Total voters
21 - 40 of 1276 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
anything you buy can break down.... read about a call-back for bentleys (there goes my weekend to the horse-races)

if you buy a exotic performance bike you can expect some drawbacks, if you want reliability, buy a FMX or XT, problem is it will bore you to death.

my smc has crap dials but I also have a 2 year warranty so I don't care.... I'll replace it when they have their problems solved...

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I'd like to understand whether many of the alleged problems relating to the 690 models are due to:

1) Poor design and specification of the bike
2) Poor quality control during assembly at the factory
3) Poor PDI and a lack of expertise/experience at the supplying dealership
4) Bike being badly treated (maintained, modded and ridden) by the owner

One of the reasons I purchased a KTM (not a 690) was their reputation for racing, reliability and quality components - just think Paris to Dakar!
Resti, I think with mine it's No1 and to a certain extent No3. My problems have been caused by water getting into the headlight/beak causing corrosion in there. This is in my opinion a design flaw with the 690sm but it would have been negated to a certain extent by better prep and response by the dealer. The root cause is No1 though.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I'd like to understand whether many of the alleged problems relating to the 690 models are due to:

1) Poor design and specification of the bike
2) Poor quality control during assembly at the factory
3) Poor PDI and a lack of expertise/experience at the supplying dealership
4) Bike being badly treated (maintained, modded and ridden) by the owner

One of the reasons I purchased a KTM (not a 690) was their reputation for racing, reliability and quality components - just think Paris to Dakar!
i would say 1-2 and 3

·
Registered
316 Posts
anything you buy can break down.... read about a call-back for bentleys (there goes my weekend to the horse-races)

if you buy a exotic performance bike you can expect some drawbacks, if you want reliability, buy a FMX or XT, problem is it will bore you to death.

my smc has crap dials but I also have a 2 year warranty so I don't care.... I'll replace it when they have their problems solved...
not a big problem if the clocks have a crack but when i does not run at all ? when its your only transport? if your gearbox is broken are you Happy to wait untill they sort that out? ktm claim the motor was tested very hard to 50000km (30000)miles
the 690 was sold as a praticial sm with 3000mile service intervals and 120 mile tank range not as a race bike thats why i brought one i thought the build quality was on par if not better than honda i was wrong
if jurassic was trying to do 10000 miles a year on a 525 then yes the wrong bike but not the 690

·
Registered
38 Posts
The biggest issue I've had so far with my 2007 - 690sm has been with the gear box. With a little over 3600 miles, I still get the false neutral about every third or fourth day, shifting between 5th to 6th. And the gear box still has a very notchy feeling to it. Maybe it's because I've been spoiled by my gear boxes on the Duc and Falco, but other than that, so far - so good. I lost the gear shift lever at about 1200 miles, with the bolt backing out, which I have never experienced before with the other bikes I've owned. I'll take the blame on that since I know better to check all the vital bits and pieces but it appears either the KTM Factory or the dealer did not put any loctite on the bolt (my guess). I've heard a few others had this problem as well but nothing major. I did the preventive maintenance on the wiring loom / connectors to avoid the corrosion issue some have experienced as well.

With fuel (petrol) prices over here in the U.S. heading up by the hour, I enjoy the great fuel mileage - averaging between 55 to 58 mile per gallon. And the bike is just fun as hell to ride! The Duc and Falco have only been rode a couple of times, and the Falco's up for sale. Hopefully, KTM Factory is listening and they are making minor adjustments from all of us real-world users. It would be interesting to know the problems 690 owners are experiencing from 2007 to 2008 production years. The '08 Duke 690 over here in the U.S. appears sorted per some of the owners I have chatted with.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
The biggest issue I've had so far with my 2007 - 690sm has been with the gear box. With a little over 3600 miles, I still get the false neutral about every third or fourth day, shifting between 5th to 6th. And the gear box still has a very notchy feeling to it.
Just shows MHr78, I think the gearbox on mine is great now (at 3000 miles). When the bike was new, I missed the 5th to 6th change a couple of times but as I've got the miles on her the shift has got really nice. I really hope that I can resolve this electrical gremlin cos I love riding the bike. I just read a test on the new Tenere and it does sound pretty dull.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I have now covered 10,000mls on my 2007 690sm prestige and have experienced my fair share of faults, well maybe more than my fair share, but i can forgive it those faults because i just love the bike, i never dreamed a single could be so much fun. :D:D:D

·
Registered
71 Posts
10,000 kms on mine (690 SM). Have thrashed the arse off it and clean it with a hose now and then. Only problems have been a couple of bolts falling out (radiator cover and airbox to subframe) and occasional false neutral between 5th and 6th - only on the downchange.
Put a bit more stuffing in the seat and now I can do a full day without too much pain.
Most of my past bikes I've only kept 6-12 months. Had this one 12 months and will probably hang on to it another 12 because I cant see anything yet that I could replace it with that would suit my needs better.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Shoulda bought 950s.

;)
Dutch,

My 690 had the stalling problem mentioned earlier. It’s been serviced 6 times without a fix. The 7th time may have resolved it but I'm not yet convinced. That’s been my only real issue with it. Decided to take your advice and bought a 950 SMR a month ago. Great bike! Also if it has any fueling issues I don't have to rely solely on KTM. I still enjoy the way the 690 rides but if they can’t fix a stalling problem what happens when something else goes wrong or the stalling gets worse? Good luck with your SD.

·
Registered
6,641 Posts
I'm loving the SD, but I do sometimes miss the 950, esp when I'm filtering through heavy traffic, ...but then, when there's some open road, it's a dim and distant memory... ;)

Sorry to hear about your 690 troubles. I can't understand why KTM seem to be having so many (perceived?) problems with this model when most recent KTMs (since 2003, at least) have been examples of build quality and reliability.

KTM are in danger of ruining their rep as quality bike builders, and that's bad for all of us, esp if sales go down, and S/H values drop, and KTM have less money to invest in new and improved models. Even if there's nothing really wrong with the 690, and it's all down to lack of owner / dealer knowledge (which still seems inexcuseable to me) they're getting pretty bad PR by real owners on here on regular ocassions, which can't be good.

I've actually stopped enjoying taking the piss out of the ugly beak, as I'd genuinely prefer that the 690 was "another great KTM".

Perhaps they're all too busy excavating their basements to sort it out?
;)

·
Registered
38 Posts
Just shows MHr78, I think the gearbox on mine is great now (at 3000 miles). When the bike was new, I missed the 5th to 6th change a couple of times but as I've got the miles on her the shift has got really nice. I really hope that I can resolve this electrical gremlin cos I love riding the bike. I just read a test on the new Tenere and it does sound pretty dull.
Jurassic - I'm hoping the gearbox in my 690 really begins to smooth out. It has gotten a little better since the first oil change. A couple of my friends who own KTM's over here in the States told me that it is standard fare for a KTM and the gearbox will get better (just takes a while). Still, its a blast to ride, day-in and day-out. Hence, all the dust on the Duc and Falco!

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
The gearbox on my 690 SMC has got much much better since the first service at 600 miles, now on 1150 miles and the phantom neutrals have all but disappeared, which is good, Not so good is the condensation in the clocks which appeared yesterday morning:mad:

·
Registered
729 Posts
344 miles side stand broke due to bolt coming loose and leaving the bike to become a puncture in somebodys tyre. This caused damage to exhaust and clutch lever.

yerp, my stand fell off also... i was looking at it an thinking it was leaning a bit and then it fell into the bike next to it, luckily breaking its fall and not causing any damage to either of the bikes...phweew:rolleyes:

·
Registered
154 Posts
I think I rushed things a bit when voted my beakster among the reliable ones... :mad:

Got the bike two weeks ago and last weekend started to run it in. On the first ride both rear view mirrors showed will to leave the bike. No Yamaha I thought and went on. Then yesterday did another blast and all seemed fine. Today my brother came visit me and I proudly showed him my new two wheeled wonder. Look, he said pointing at the engine, it has wetted itself. :eek:

Now this ir properly fucking wrong!!! :hmh: I cleaned the engine to see if there is visible leak point, at least its not dropping oil. Could it be that oil comes from the place where there is small black cover on the engine's right side?

I want to think I'm overreacting because I really like the bike. Geez, its brilliant!! :D

Will now check it tomorrow and if possible finish the run in.

·
Registered
462 Posts
re leak

Get the dealer to sort it.

That sounds like the oil filter cover.It has rubber ring under it, take it out ,grease rubber and put cover back on.

If it has been crushed or still leaks, get new rubber.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Sorry to hear about your 690 troubles. I can't understand why KTM seem to be having so many (perceived?) problems with this model when most recent KTMs (since 2003, at least) have been examples of build quality and reliability.

KTM are in danger of ruining their rep as quality bike builders, and that's bad for all of us, esp if sales go down, and S/H values drop, and KTM have less money to invest in new and improved models. Even if there's nothing really wrong with the 690, and it's all down to lack of owner / dealer knowledge (which still seems inexcuseable to me) they're getting pretty bad PR by real owners on here on regular ocassions, which can't be good.

I've actually stopped enjoying taking the piss out of the ugly beak, as I'd genuinely prefer that the 690 was "another great KTM".

Perhaps they're all too busy excavating their basements to sort it out?
;)
If you consider how long KTM have been producing street bikes they really have done a fantastic job. The hardest part is always after sales support. No brand is immune from issues. I know too many dealers and every one of them can tell stories of some issue or another on everything they carry.

I'm not angered by KTM. It really is the Keihin FI that is the issue and they don't usually have many problems. Thus far KTM US has been hard at solving the issue but it is still frustrating to go through. I don't fault my dealer as they use KTM tech support for issues such as mine. I expect that KTM contacts the Keihin to look for answers as well. Actually I'm impressed that the dealer and KTM both acknowledge the problem at all. Usually when I've had inconsistent problems with other (VW, BMW, Chevy) brand vehicles the dealer and Mfg. just claim they can't duplicate the problem and say something like bring it back when/if it gets worse. I certainly hope KTM are successful, I own two of them now and would consider the brand again if I were looking at a different category bike in the future. From what I can tell everything that KTM builds on the bike is first rate the items they outsource seem to be the issue, at least on my bike.

Glad you’re enjoying your SD. Fantastic looking bike! Yes I know, coming from a 690sm owner that may not mean much. I almost went for the SD instead of the SMR. Decided to get away from the FI and I just have a need to carry a pillion often and wanted the extra luggage capacity of the SM. Plus in my part of the world you get jail time now for doing over a ton. On the SD I would do that on daily basis, odds are it would catch up with me at some point.

N.

21 - 40 of 1276 Posts