Votes: 163 62.0%
  • Yes I've had problems with my 690.

Votes: 100 38.0%

• Total voters
41 - 60 of 1276 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
The gearbox on my 690 SMC has got much much better since the first service at 600 miles, now on 1150 miles and the phantom neutrals have all but disappeared, which is good, Not so good is the condensation in the clocks which appeared yesterday morning:mad:
You've mastered the gearbox, it probably hasn't changed a great deal during the running in period, some people master it quicker than others, it's just a quirky gearbox and thats the height of it.

My advise to anyone else who is having problems with phantom neutrals is don't try to stroke it into gear, jump all over it like you would a crosser, but even when you've got the knack it will hit one occasionally.

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
You've mastered the gearbox, it probably hasn't changed a great deal during the running in period, some people master it quicker than others, it's just a quirky gearbox and thats the height of it.

My advise to anyone else who is having problems with phantom neutrals is don't try to stroke it into gear, jump all over it like you would a crosser, but even when you've got the knack it will hit one occasionally.
Sorry mate you have got it totally Wrong, the first 400 miles i was getting shitloads of false neutrals, prolly 7 or 8 through each 20 miles-ish.The next couple of hundred miles it was gradually getting better..And as for stroking it into gear, dont think ive ever taken it easy on any gearbox ive had, i use my size 10 Sidi,s to slam that fooker into gear all day:D:D

·
Registered
737 Posts
Sorry mate you have got it totally Wrong, the first 400 miles i was getting shitloads of false neutrals, prolly 7 or 8 through each 20 miles-ish.The next couple of hundred miles it was gradually getting better..And as for stroking it into gear, dont think ive ever taken it easy on any gearbox ive had, i use my size 10 Sidi,s to slam that fooker into gear all day:D:D
Nope don't think I'm wrong, think our opinions are different though, I'm not knocking your ability but I'd have said that it would take you about 4-500 miles to get used to a notchy or lazy box, after all thats only a few hours on the bike, it's just a quircky box, it took me longer to get used to it and I still hit the odd phantom neutral especially 5-6 gear, I believe it's whats known as a lazy box.

When I first got the bike I was convinced there was a definite problem now I see it's just power for the course.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Nope don't think I'm wrong, think our opinions are different though, I'm not knocking your ability but I'd have said that it would take you about 4-500 miles to get used to a notchy or lazy box, after all thats only a few hours on the bike, it's just a quircky box, it took me longer to get used to it and I still hit the odd phantom neutral especially 5-6 gear, I believe it's whats known as a lazy box.

When I first got the bike I was convinced there was a definite problem now I see it's just power for the course.
Rodgy - Is your bike now sorted after the 'lazy approach' to road repairs and gravel led to some problems? Overall - How are you currently feeling about the whole 690 ownership package (including dealer support in your locale)?

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Jurassic - Is there anything new, informative, interesting or surprising appearing in this thread for you. I'd hoped for a larger response to date - maybe the 690 owners are too busy riding about in the sunshine to be bothered surfing the interwebby! Was over in your fiefdom today watching some Irish Catholic mercenaries, loyal to the Crown, storming Dumbarton castle and flying the Irish cross - Ah the smell of gunpowder and the clash of steel!

If KTM in Austria are reading this thread - I wonder what they are making of it?

·
Registered
737 Posts
Rodgy - Is your bike now sorted after the 'lazy approach' to road repairs and gravel led to some problems? Overall - How are you currently feeling about the whole 690 ownership package (including dealer support in your locale)?
Unfortunately, bike not sorted yet, but I do have the parts to put it back on the road and I really need to pull my finger out, I'm sounding out a claim against the Roads Service with a Solicitor.

The KTM dealer here has changed, it is now Phillip McCallen Motorcycles based in Lurgan (yes Phillip McCallen legend who is often in the shop and is very personable), although I found the previous dealer R&R OK, I would say my first impression is it is a much more professional operation inspiring more confidence in the brand as whole.

http://www.phillipmccallen.com/

·
Registered
160 Posts
my 08smr690 just died tonight.

first the revs hanging up when I stop, got worse, it started doing it everytime I stopped.
feels like it is really lean.

then coming home from work, first my horn didn't work, followed by my signals not working.
I don't know if my tailight was out then or just later, but it no longer works.
made it almost home, then my dash died(went black) followed by the bike dying, now won't start.

Headlight still works, and is normal brightness, and the alarm still functions, so I know the battery is ok.

brand new bike, dead.

pretty steamed right now.

·
Registered
454 Posts
It's not the Keihin FI system. It's the mapping... Made by KTM btw...
if it really was that simple the issue would have been resolved a long time ago... besides a lot of people that have fitted a different exhaust system on their bike updated the mapping and some still have problems.

I'm very much intreged by the stalling and FI issue a lot of US owners seem to encounter, I questioned several owners in my area and none of them encountered anything even remotely related to stalling or FI issues. the mayority of problem cases seem to occur in the US, don't ask me what they do differently over there.

I even chatted with several ktm mecanics that have to work on these bikes and they claim the 15 minute idle procedure is vital, they won't let a bike leave the driveway before they're sure the bike underwent the calibration procedure. I'm thinking some dealers don't even bother doing this before they let a customer take delivery of a new bike but then again I have no way of proving that this might be the cause of the stalling issue.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
if it really was that simple the issue would have been resolved a long time ago... besides a lot of people that have fitted a different exhaust system on their bike updated the mapping and some still have problems.

I'm very much intreged by the stalling and FI issue a lot of US owners seem to encounter, I questioned several owners in my area and none of them encountered anything even remotely related to stalling or FI issues. the mayority of problem cases seem to occur in the US, don't ask me what they do differently over there.

I even chatted with several ktm mecanics that have to work on these bikes and they claim the 15 minute idle procedure is vital, they won't let a bike leave the driveway before they're sure the bike underwent the calibration procedure. I'm thinking some dealers don't even bother doing this before they let a customer take delivery of a new bike but then again I have no way of proving that this might be the cause of the stalling issue.
I've just had a look at the link to your photo's - If that is really you performing on a KTM, then welcome and respect - you look like you can really handle a bike. I look forward to your further contributions from Belgium - the land of supermoto, fine beers, moules, frites with mayo.

·
Registered
197 Posts
I thought their petrol was in a word crap i.e lower octane with less additives. It certainly goes off much quicker.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I've just had a look at the link to your photo's - If that is really you performing on a KTM, then welcome and respect - you look like you can really handle a bike. I look forward to your further contributions from Belgium - the land of supermoto, fine beers, moules, frites with mayo.
thanks, I'm just your average amateur though, honoustly there's tons of guys out there that are way faster than me :p as long as I'm having fun while riding it's all good

I thought their petrol was in a word crap i.e lower octane with less additives. It certainly goes off much quicker.
maybe, the US use different ratings for their octane index though. here in Europe we use RON ratings and in the US and canada I think it's called the AKI (anti knock index) rating. 95 RON ("regular" fuel for us) equals to about 91 AKI in the US which is premium gasoline for them.

·
Registered
160 Posts
I am wondering what the "allowable tolerance" is on the fuel pumps, less pressure means less fuel, maybe thats where the problem is.

I have been using 94 octane like the manual says, so its not that.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Yesterday I had another shot of an 08 model 690 SMC - this time the ride lasted four miles before the bike started to fall apart. The double sided adhesive tape holding a reflector onto the fork legs managed to failed at 55mph. "Sorry mate"!

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Yesterday I had another shot of an 08 model 690 SMC - this time the ride lasted four miles before the bike started to fall apart. The double sided adhesive tape holding a reflector onto the fork legs managed to failed at 55mph. "Sorry mate"!
Those Reflectors are designed to fall off before you go out in public:D:D

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
So did you give up after 4 miles and return the bike to the dealer, refusing to go any further on such a Poorly built machine.Or did you carry on and try to ENJOY yourself..Im guessing its not the latter cos you seem desperate to Hightlight every SMC problem (no matter how small) on this forum:dozey::D

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
So did you give up after 4 miles and return the bike to the dealer, refusing to go any further on such a Poorly built machine.Or did you carry on and try to ENJOY yourself..Im guessing its not the latter cos you seem desperate to Hightlight every SMC problem (no matter how small) on this forum:dozey::D
I'm just reporting fact - not fiction! It is certainly a fun bike to ride, but I'd prefer to concentrate on enjoying the ride -rather than keeping an eye on which component will be the next to fail and drop off.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Had big problems twice with my 690SM. 2 months ago suddenly wouldn't tick over at all and had to be re mapped which took a week at the local Laguna dealership in Maidstone. Today just in the middle of overtaking some cars on a straight bit of road I lost power and almost came off. Not able to accelerate at all or getting above 2nd gear. Taken the thing back to the garage yet again and they won't be able to look at it until leater next week! really fed up. Anyone recommend a decent bike?

41 - 60 of 1276 Posts