Votes: 163 62.0%
  • Yes I've had problems with my 690.

Votes: 100 38.0%

• Total voters
1261 - 1276 of 1276 Posts

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
My front brake resevoir gasket must be fooked too as it started leaking last week.Still love it though :smokin:
Funnily enough I've had that issue as well - dealer's solution - tighten the screws more, then I was waiting to see the soft alloy housing strip its threads. Another 'quality' component bought in by KTM for a very competitive price?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Its still going - keep the charge up to the battery + regular oil changes.
4years old now & I still love it & I'm still waiting for KTM Australia to replace the instruments -
still fogging & I was doing 236kph sitting at traffic lights the other day.
Don't think I'll ever sell it - still gives me 2 much FUN.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Wow, this thread is still going!

Well, I'm coming up to the 18k service interval, the bike hasn't been too bad. I've had my SMC nearly four years now and I've serviced it almost entirely myself. I change the oil at half the recommended interval and change the filters every other oil change. I change the oil more frequently because I do a lot of very short journeys on it and I seem to kill off the oil quicker. I've always kept with the stock exhaust and airbox up until now, and I've never had real problems with stalling. Disconnecting my 02 sensor really helped the small throttle jumpiness on mine, and it's now been disabled. I've just last week purchased a K&N universal filter (RU-1750), SC-Project can and TuneECU cable to have some fun with. Service wise I have just purchased a new cam chain and guides, as mine only has a few thousand mi left on it. The clutch, thanks to commuting with it in stop start traffic, is *just* starting to slip in the high gears, so I've got a clutch service kit to fit too. For kicks I got a set of the black and white 2010 plastics because my orange stuff is looking scuffed and sunburned :D

Notable failures over my 17.5k miles have been:

Cam chain tensioner
After the third one stopped locking recently I just bought the rally raid manual one, problem solved and the CC is less noisy to boot.

Rocker arm scoring
My exhaust side rocker arm bearing was showing some scoring, replaced with a new one and it's still clean as a whistle after 10k, so I guess that they improved them?

Fuel Injector
At about 10k I had a lot of weird hard starting problems, turns out the injector started to leak and it would slowly drain the fuel rail into the throttle body when I got off the bike.

Stator
Burned out at about 16.5k, literally. It actually had a charred black section. The most expensive thing to go wrong so far at about 130 quid. Easy job to replace, new one seems to be built different/better too.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had mine 1 day an the coolant is leaking out. :mad:. 2008 SMR with 1850 miles. Luckily, bought it from a dealer who is going to sort it. :D

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi 690ers, I bumped into this thread and thought I'd share my experiences with you.

I have a 2009 690 Duke with just over 15,000 km on the oddometer and while I'm the 3rd owner, the bike is in absolutely mint condition. The first owner worked in the dealership where the bike came from, did most of the bike's milage and clearly took great care of her; he said all maintenance had been done according to the book. The 2nd owner, a mate of mine, only kept the bike for 6 months, hardly ran it and also looked after it well. When I got the bike at just over 14,000 km she was beautiful and ran beautifully! Since then I have had a few problems; however, these are pretty much in line with the known 690 issues...

1. Intermittent pump failure (I tap gently on the pump-side of tank when i hear it doesn't prime and so far it's worked everytime. This is infinitely cheaper than buying the CA Cycleworks replacement, though I will eventually buy and install the Cycleworks pump.)

2. Counter sprocket O-ring failure (Replaced with OEM and have spares as I know the new one won't last)

3. Very lightly scored exhaust rocker roller (Not yet changed it, but keeping a very close eye on that one...will check at every service and perhaps every 1000km)

4. Noisy cam chain due to the not so durable hydraulic cam chain tensioner (I didn't even consider replacing with OEM, I went straight to the manual Rally Raid option thanks to the various KTM forums)

5. Clogged fuel injector (I treat the in-tank fuel filter as a service item even though it doesn't say so in the service manual. I also installed and now maintain a tiny in-line fuel filter just before the injector; this part is standard in all 2012 690 models, apparently)

Otherwise, I'm lucky to have a hardcopy of the service manual - a real bible, TuneECU cable/software for diagnosis/testing and in conjunction with the Engine and Chassis Spare Parts Manual, I do all diagnosis, testing, servicing and attempt all repairs myself. Anyhow, the closest dealer is 600km away and that would require me shipping my bike - No effing way if I can prevent it :D

The glitches I've had so far have given me the opportunity to get to know my bike much better and since I'm mechanically inclined and love having a good fiddle, I'm in no position to complain ;) All that said, I can appreciate how frustrating it is, in particular for the layperson, to have an expensive bike die prematurely at low milage because of a handful of poorly made parts only to have it sit several weeks at the dealership waiting for it to be repaired because the dealer has poor knowledge of the bike.

This leads me to my final note... I'd like to thank the thread starter as this rather lenghty yet illuminating thread is an invaluable source of information for people like me, who repair their bikes themselves, and probably for the enthusiastic dealer mechanics as well. All attempts should be made to keep it backed-up and available somewhere else, before a KTM lawyer comes down on the site owner to have it removed, as apparently was the case with the 690 Megathread in ADVrider.

Cheers and apologies for the long post ;)

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Thanks to Reshad for an excellent posting.

A clogged fuel injector is an issue that others have also suffered from. Once again this doesn't reflect well on the design and quality of the 690.

·
Registered
386 Posts
FYI: fuel pump failure can come from clogged fuel filter in the tank. They get clogged with back goo coming off the plastic tank sidewalls, your pump runs a bit dry, and hence starts failing and wearing out.

changing fuel filter regularly should cure this, and should make the fuel pump last longer.

I did my fuel filter at ca. 7000kms, i'm sure i was the first, heaps of black sludge coming out of the old filter. I'm changing it now every 5000km service.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Funnily enough I've had that issue as well - dealer's solution - tighten the screws more, then I was waiting to see the soft alloy housing strip its threads. Another 'quality' component bought in by KTM for a very competitive price?
i had the same, i tightened the screws and still leaked so noticed it was over filled, took some out and dropped the level and its sorted

·
Registered
388 Posts
Mine is still seeping a bit with the new gasket, braking performance still perfect though, just going to leave it, had enough of the dealer, they're gimps. Just ticked over 4,000 miles and loving it still.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Mine is still seeping a bit with the new gasket, braking performance still perfect though, just going to leave it, had enough of the dealer, they're gimps. Just ticked over 4,000 miles and loving it still.
just remove some fluid, i didnt change gasket and its sorted now

·
Registered
10 Posts
Had mine 1 day an the coolant is leaking out. :mad:. 2008 SMR with 1850 miles. Luckily, bought it from a dealer who is going to sort it. :D
UPDATE: Lol, radiator cap was loose! Dealer got 3/4 of a turn on it. Did 100 miles yesterday round the peak district with no leaks.

·
Registered
388 Posts
2 new issues have arisen... horn has stopped working, not sure if it's a fuse, haven't had a chance to look.

And more seriously I got the good ol FI light on the way home. I stopped at some lights and the dash reset a few times, bike cut out and FI light came on and it rode like crap. I pulled over turn ignition on and off and it was back to normal.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
2 new issues have arisen... horn has stopped working, not sure if it's a fuse, haven't had a chance to look.

And more seriously I got the good ol FI light on the way home. I stopped at some lights and the dash reset a few times, bike cut out and FI light came on and it rode like crap. I pulled over turn ignition on and off and it was back to normal.
I'm well familiar with your symptoms - what appears to be random cut outs - usually in heavy traffic situations where you are left worrying about your personal safety in between taxis and large trucks. Then the gnawing feeling that it can happen again and again - but you don't know when or where - you just know it will.

The electronics on the 690 are very fragile and not robust enough for the UK. Hope your dealer employs a technician that actually understands electronics or you are totally stuffed.

My recommendation is that you get shot of it well before any warranty expires. Ask your dealer if they have invested in the latest KTM diagnostic kit - if they have - get it fully checked out. Hopefully you noted the error code that flashed up?

The 690 is a great bike when it is running well and it can deliver a load of fun. However they must rate amongst some of the worst bikes produced in the developed world in terms of reliability and robust components. After 5 years of production experience it is shocking that the 690 model is still delivering disappointment and outright grief to owners.

Oh and check your front disc for slight warping - The 690 smCommuter is now on No.3 - maybe this one will last longer than 18 months?

1261 - 1276 of 1276 Posts