KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried a product called 'Tubliss core' which is basically a core around the rim which I assume turns the tyre into a tubeless tyre by sealing all the spoke holes. I don't really want to use a mousse and have been using ultra heavy duty inner tubes but had the valve come away on my 450 EXC this weekend.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It works very well, have them installed on my bike. It is also substantially lighter then using tubes and a tube sealant. A little pricey though but well worth the money.

·
Registered
409 Posts
"had the valve come away on my 450 EXC this weekend."

On the assumption that it was your rear wheel, you only had one rim lock installed and the valve ripped off due to wheelspin,.... you could easily drill another hole and install a second, high quality rim lock.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've been running tubliss cores in my 530 for the last three enduros with no problems. Seem very good and i've been able to run lower pressures for more grip than the equivalent pressure in a mousse.
Also unlike a mousse they don't wear out and are a lot easier to work with come tyre changing time!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rim Lock

Cheers dudenstumpy - never thought of that as the tube hadn't appeared to have moved. I will look at fitting another rim lock if I go with another tube. Not convinced about the tubliss core as I guess punctures will still be a problem. Could just stop being mean and buy mousses every 6 months I guess.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Could you run a puncture proofer/slime in them?
I'm tempted by them as you can change tyre pressures which is handy for road work on bigger bikes.

·
Registered
39 Posts
All punctures i've had in the past have been pinch punctures of the tube so no problem that way.
You can run puncture proofer/slime with the tubliss cores to seal any holes in the tyre according to the instructions (same as a tubeless tyre they say!).
It is a definate advantage to be able to adjust tyre pressures as compared to a mousse though, so i'd definately recommend them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
ive got the tubliss, back and front, can't fault em, you can run very low pressures with no worries, i've even run flat on the rear as the tubliss holds the tyre on the rim, think it was a maxxis tyre, stiff sidewalls, but the tubliss acts like one complete rimlock holding the tyre out against the rim with 110 psi, so no tyre creep. Not a problem getting air either as long as you've got your own compressor.
They are lighter than mousses too, don't degrade, at 99 quid they are only the same money as a mousse, i've got tyre balls too for the rear, but theres quite a bit of faffing about mounting them. No such problem with the tubliss, they are a breeze to change, no tubes to nip either. You can run goo in them to prevent flats too.

fm

·
Registered
4,044 Posts
Just fitted a new set front and rear and will be trying them this weekend for the first time. I've not put the slime/puncture repair stuff in the tyres but your all going in that direction so i'll be following. Unless the rim lock is not torqued down i don't see how the tyre can move, although i'm not saying the guy/s who have had a problem are wrong. Tyre pressures are one of the most important areas of the bike (for me) to get set up right i'm riding against two mates a lot faster than me and the competition results will prove if my £200 has been well spent. A little info to compare my lap times in previous events, over a 11-13 minutes course i'm about 50-55 seconds slower compared to my mates per lap. If anyones good with maths perhaps we can see how the Tubliss preformed for me when i get the results if anyones interested? I normally running mousses, but did use tudes at the last event. However the rear tyre pressure was 24psi (oops forgot to check it). If any of you guys have preferred tyres pressures for the tudliss i'm taking notes?......Lastly, £200 on a new product buying blind is a big gamble, but this could be one of the biggest secrets in the pits, lets not post to much and all keep quiet....lol...... ah i've got some mates to beat this sunday so shush and say no more.....lol

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've been looking at the Tubliss after picking up a flat recently which slime wouldn't seal as the inner tube had torn. It probably would have sealed with Tubliss and slime what with there being no inner tube to tear, and I've heard you can even use plugs to seal large holes if necessary like you would on a normal tubeless tyre as that's effectively what your tyres are.

I have one question though. I don't race I only trail ride, and that involves some long road sections to get to a trail. Although I couldn't see it mentioned anywhere on the Nuetech web site, the installation PDF says "THIS PRODUCT IS FOR OFFROAD USE ONLY" in big letters at the top. Does anyone know exactly what this means, e.g. is it just meant to stop you fitting them to your R1, or does it literally mean the bike must never be used on a road with them fitted?

·
Registered
39 Posts
Having used and installed the tubliss cores i can see no reason not to use them on the road apart from the fact they are probably not type approved.
Unlike a mousse which will heat up and break up with extended road use the tubliss does not rub against the tyre carcase so does not generate the same heat so should be OK. Nutech do say that they will not wear out like a mousse and you can of course increase the pressure for the road.

·
Registered
328 Posts
i use mine on the road,between trails etc, only problem i had was they are out of balance but that was easily cured with some lead fishing weights opposite the heavy spot.
fm

·
Registered
71 Posts
Having used and installed the tubliss cores i can see no reason not to use them on the road apart from the fact they are probably not type approved.
Spot on! :) After I posted I thought I'd also email Nuetech themselves to see what they said, and got this reply: "Currently the TUbliss are not DOT rated nor tested for street, so we say for off road use only (just like moto tires)."

Of course he can't actually recommend using them on the road or they might be liable if you were prosecuted, but he didn't mention there being any technical reason why they'd cause a problem... Short of something like an investigation after an accident I can't see the average bobby being able to tell you have them fitted (I guess he'd have to realise there are two valves). I do always use marked road legal tyres and that's the thing they're more likely to be looking for. So... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
71 Posts
i use mine on the road,between trails etc, only problem i had was they are out of balance but that was easily cured with some lead fishing weights opposite the heavy spot.
Yep, had to do the same to balance out my current rim locks so that would be no problem. This is sounding promising...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts