KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

So these bloody deflector blocks just keep splitting on me! It's getting to be that I have to replace them anytime a change the tyre.

This rear one has done about 15 hours I reckon.

Common to have wear on the inner bladder but I've started using silicone grease to lube it and it's helping I think. Plus I have small splits in two of my four red liners (sealed with super glue).

Bit annoying as I wouldn't ever change them but I don't think anyone else really gets this issue?

I run soft tyres (trials/Maxxis Trialmaxx) at 4-6 psi, I'm a bit of a lump, bit still, the only way I can see that happening is that the rim lock is being pushed towards the rim. Always torque it to 15nm after inflating the inner bladder...

So apart from going on a diet... What can be done?? Is it just the soft tyres at low pressure? I do smack the rear into logs and ledges and stuff but still..

·
Registered
512 Posts
I havn't noticed any wear on mine, although I don't tend to pull the inner bladder off everytime I change tyres. I've got 2 sets, one a bit newer than the other, my original set has done about 150 hours on 2 bikes and 2 sets of wheels so moved about a couple of times and didn't notice anything the last time I had them off. The next time I change tyres I'll have to make a point of checking them.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
In 100's of hours i've only replaced 2 of those (never replaced the innertubes either)

Reactions: Pindie

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
My pair are on 100hrs just about now and look fine.
I don’t do the rim lock to right. nor run trials tyres.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
In 100's of hours i've only replaced 2 of those (never replaced the innertubes either)
Ffs... I've lost count how many I've been through but it's got to be 6-8 in under 100 hours.

My pair are on 100hrs just about now and look fine.
I don’t do the rim lock to right. nor run trials tyres.
It must be the trials tyres then. Don't think I do anything wrong with the install. Never have any issues otherwise.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I'm no expert by a long way, I only wobble about on the green lanes, I've run tubliss for about 150 hours and I've not replaced any part at all. I reckon that your rim lock is taking 'hits' either because of the tyres that you are using and/or because you are running very low pressures. I run 8 psi front and rear.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Another here with 100s hours and only replaced a couple of those blocks. The soft tyre and impact theory might be true. An enduro tyre with zero psi in offers more cushion than a low pressure trials tyre. They are thin as you like. It might be worth an email to Jeff at Nuetech and ask him wtf is occurring?

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Soft rubber and thin tread not just sidewall and low pressure then twatting a rock in the centre right on the rim lock partof tyre over and over even riding on rough ground. Rim lock plate could then put enough pressure inwards over and over squashing it enough to eventual split it.

is it split all way down or from the top or from the bottom?

looks like it’s splitting on the area the rubber can expand/move. The other side tube that’s not split As that’s protected/supported by the high pressure tube maybe.

·
Registered
3,399 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah it must be the combination of low pressure, soft tyre, fat bloke, and not being particularly gentle on the rear wheel. Thing is, the fronts go too and I run them at 6-10 psi although have had a couple leaks/punctures so have run them flat a few times. (Side note, whenever the front goes flat, I've not noticed it because of poor handling but can hear/feel it as the front sort of slaps against the ground more.)

It's bloody odd.

Every time I change a tyre I do remove the whole system, clean/check and re-lube everything so perhaps others are splitting but not being noticed as much. To be fair, even with that one I've posted above, there was not loss of performance. I only noticed it because I changed the tyre and checked it.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
I usually run 4 to 5 psi on a mitas ef07 green stripe

·
Registered
7,078 Posts
Al, we figure that this problem is a tyre problem as this often happens with soft compound tyres with soft carcass. It doesn't happen with tyres having a stiffer carcass. Its funny as we discussed that today and concluded that with Tubliss we better should use (in hard enduro) soft compound tyres with a stiffer carcass.

Maybe worth a try....

1 - 20 of 129 Posts