KTM Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 129 Posts

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I’ve had good success with super glue. Especially red liner repairs where people have accidentally caught them.

The Raba helps a lot if you use 90/90 fronts or 100/90 rears. The lever arm can really give the tyre a nice shove and separate the liner from the rim and tyre nicely. It’s then dead easy to pop your levers in.

For 140 rears you only need one lever pretty much. They pretty much fall on and off so Raba doesn’t help other than nice working height.

Storage bag is handy as when packed up it takes up little space. Easy to take to a track/race too.

The Raba with mousses just makes you laugh. It’s just too easy!

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Ah yes, new fronts can be a bit tougher but still easy once you're used to them.

I always use a bead buddy opposite the rim lock when fitting or removing, which I think makes life much much easier.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I’m still lost on the mousse management.

Like when to pull out and re lube.

I doubt the state, semi used or drilled would effect my riding ability though 🤣

How much are Rabacondas!!!
I have a generation one Raba and it was 250 Euros and afaik its still around 250. Mo clue what the generation two can do better. Advantage vs the cheaper versions is I can put it in a bag easily when I want to take it with me in the van.
Mousse management is easy, all you need to learn is to find the right tyre/mousse combination. That needs some time and some testing. Once you have, let's say 3 tyre/mousse combinations that work you will not try many other tyres. Personally I only use Michelin (Enduro Medium), Mitas (754, EF07) and the Bridgestone M59 front tyre. Good for all kinds of terrain and my gay old fat bastard riding style.
In years I never ever took a mousse out to relube it, simply because I lube it with the right amount and the best lube I can get. They last between 50 and 100 hours. Only buy known brands like Michelin and Mitas and a few others.

Forget about drilled mousses, they are shite, they don't last long and they are for Jonny and Grimbo who don't have to pay them and throw them in the bin after a race.

Mousses have advantages but also have lots of disadvantages, so think about it before you decide.
They are very expensive, you always have a mess in your garage or shed when you change them provided you use the correct amount of lube. A reason why they don't last long sometimes is using to less grease. Plays no role for pros as they don't use them long and they almost install them dry with just a tiny bit of grease because they can't afford having a big mess when changing them under serious time pressure.

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
I always put the mousse lube in the tyre Steve,then put the dry mousse in the tyre,very little mess
I lube every new tyre that goes on
I get about 18 months out of Michelin Enduros with Michelin mousses

Reactions: steveman

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
AL, i dont do the tyres the old BF does that..but i know he never takes red cover off ,he wipes it over ,fires a new tyre on does the rim lock up to the 12nm , we both use tubliss both have 2 sets of wheels never have that problem, maybe you should just leave it on wheel unless you need to change bladder? dont worry so much, ocd bladder checking :D ;) had a few punctures in wales on rocks but can count on fingers over i reckon 5 years of using tubliss..i dont slam flat out into stuff so it perfect for my riding...dont mention the moose:LOL:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I always put the mousse lube in the tyre Steve,then put the dry mousse in the tyre,very little mess
I lube every new tyre that goes on
I get about 18 months out of Michelin Enduros with Michelin mousses
I do it that way just that I also apply some grease on the mousse. No mess when installing, but when taking worn tyre off.

Reactions: tools

·
Registered
2,785 Posts

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
Mouuusssse users must feel inadequate cos they can't keep their noses out of tubliss threads!!! 😁 😁 😁

Reactions: Pindie

·
Registered
512 Posts
Annoyingly I had a tubliss failure today. I've put some dual sport tyres and longer gearing on my bike with the intention of taking it to work a few times on sunny days to keep the lack of racing boredom at bay. Rode in for the first time this morning, only 20 miles on mostly sub 50mph roads, bit chilly bit otherwise ok. About 3 o'clock noticed my front tyre was flat. Wouldn't pump up, tried the inner bladder, air just pisses straight out! If I had an off road route home I could have ridden it slowly, but didn't fancy rush hour on the road so rang my dad to fetch his van. I'll pull it apart tomorrow evening, hopefully this thread hasn't jinxed me after saying I'd never had any problems!

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
You may have done the classic inner core squeeze/nip with a lever. Only if it’s real bad will it pop soon after inflation. Usually it’ll pop after a bit of riding. I know this is a real thing as I’ve done it myself at one point but I also have a pile of tubes from others I’ve fixed. The nip is usually on one side, might be crescent shaped. You’ll find it!!

Reactions: Gazzarose

·
Registered
512 Posts
You may have done the classic inner core squeeze/nip with a lever. Only if it’s real bad will it pop soon after inflation. Usually it’ll pop after a bit of riding. I know this is a real thing as I’ve done it myself at one point but I also have a pile of tubes from others I’ve fixed. The nip is usually on one side, might be crescent shaped. You’ll find it!!
I wouldn't be surprised if I did it taking the old tyre off. I hate doing fronts. I can never seem to pluck the tyre bead out without catching the liner. I think it's time to invest in some proper tyre levers, what do you use and where do you get your inner tubes from? The couple I have need over the last few years I've got from gear4 at the same time as bike parts, but for the first time in a long time I haven't got a bike part shopping list!

·
Registered
100 Posts
It's impossible to have a Tubliss thread without someone butting in with advice on how to lube up his moose! 🤪
Trail riding Lube up you're tubliss bladder & red liner with silicone spray , Slime in the tyre & beads . I run whatever pressure feels right for that tyre no problems

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
You just have to take your time with the levers...also gring off the end of the michelin style levers so you don't grab the liner/tube...

·
Registered
100 Posts
I use a combination of motion pro ally spoons I love the way they grip the rim & michelin copy's . Never pinched a bladder yet

41 - 60 of 129 Posts