KTM Owners Forum banner

81 - 100 of 128 Posts

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #81
Good idea, get a Tubliss in the rear and a mousse in the fron tyre. I think its a hard to beat combination...

I think that's a fairly reasonable compromise as long as you'll get good mileage from the mousse. I never did as I don't ride enough hours for it to make sense.

·
Registered
587 Posts
here’s an interesting mix... a few lads I ride with use Tubliss AND a fucked mousse in the same rim...

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
That’s plain crazy! Worst of both. Benefits of neither? Wtf!?

·
Registered
512 Posts
To add to my Tubliss woes, after my ill fated trip to work on Thursday with the front bladder failure, I've had another failure. This afternoon I swapped an old tyre off my spare front to put a new one on to go out tomorrow, went to pump up the inner bladder to be greeted my bubbles from the rimlock hole. I must have nipped the inner taking the old tyre off. So with no spare 21" tube, I had to take the 18" tube from the road tyre'd rear and squeeze it on to the front, as long as it last for a few hours tomorrow I'll be happy. So tomorrow evenings shopping spree will be a couple of pairs of Mich type levers and replacment (+spares) tubes and a cheapy beadbreaker jobby to save me chasing the wheel around the garage like I have been this afternoon. Gotta get all my ordering in sharpish before the next lockdown!

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yeah been mentioned running a old front and Tubliss in the rear.

May give it a go if can find an old front.

·
Registered
7,074 Posts
I think that's a fairly reasonable compromise as long as you'll get good mileage from the mousse. I never did as I don't ride enough hours for it to make sense.
It works for me as I like a firmer front wheel and I would not use the advantages of Tubliss.

Considering the actual situation with Cov19 restrictions and a weather good who literally is pissing on me I'd say I don't ride much either....

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I feel your pain Gazza. Was it endless bubbles coming out? Quite often you will get some bubbles escaping until all residual air finds it’s way out the rim lock hole. Sometimes worth pressuring and then waiting but it’s obvious when the inner is gone.

When you get you new levers use stumos tip of cutting the ends of the levers back by 5mm. They still get behind the tyre bead but not too far to catch the liner. File them smooth again after cutting though!!!

Reactions: stumo

·
Registered
512 Posts
I feel your pain Gazza. Was it endless bubbles coming out? Quite often you will get some bubbles escaping until all residual air finds it’s way out the rim lock hole. Sometimes worth pressuring and then waiting but it’s obvious when the inner is gone.

When you get you new levers use stumos tip of cutting the ends of the levers back by 5mm. They still get behind the tyre bead but not too far to catch the liner. File them smooth again after cutting though!!!
I thought it was my track pump playing up at first, so tried it with the electric one from the car and it wouldn't build any pressure. Bloody thing!

Without repeating the same question, what levers do I need? Motion pro seem to do 2 different Mich type ones, and all seem to be out of stock. What about these from Apico,

Or these

The gold looking ones have got an extra lip, does that help to not go too far in?

·
Registered
99 Posts
here’s an interesting mix... a few lads I ride with use Tubliss AND a fucked mousse in the same rim...
I can see how this may work on the back with the Tubliss clamping the tyre to the rim & stiffening up the tyre wall ,the tyre soft on the contact patch & no worries using a punctured or ripped tyre, interesting .

·
Registered
99 Posts
I thought it was my track pump playing up at first, so tried it with the electric one from the car and it wouldn't build any pressure. Bloody thing!

Without repeating the same question, what levers do I need? Motion pro seem to do 2 different Mich type ones, and all seem to be out of stock. What about these from Apico, View attachment 35714

Or these View attachment 35715

The gold looking ones have got an extra lip, does that help to not go too far in?
I use that type along with the motion pro spoons the ones with the spanner on the end

·
Registered
9,165 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts

Without repeating the same question, what levers do I need? Motion pro seem to do 2 different Mich type ones, and all seem to be out of stock. What about these from Apico,

Or these View attachment 35715

The Apico ones are fine as indeed are any others (I've seen three or four different branded ones that are essentially the same) of that style. They've got more than enough leverage and if you needed any more it should act as a warning that something's wrong (tyre not sat in / dropped into the well of the rim at some point, rim lock interfering etc).

One thing you can (read 100% should!) do to them prior to using with Tubliss is to shorten the end to around half of its sent to you length. It'll still be long enough to be popped under the tyre bead but with them shortened when you go to lever the tyre off, it's far less likely to catch on the outer of the red inner which is where many people damage theirs. Damaging the inner in this area will stop it creating a good the seal between it and the inner of the tyre meaning your low pressure chamber will loose air.

:)

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
View attachment 35590

So these bloody deflector blocks just keep splitting on me! It's getting to be that I have to replace them anytime a change the tyre.

This rear one has done about 15 hours I reckon.

Common to have wear on the inner bladder but I've started using silicone grease to lube it and it's helping I think. Plus I have small splits in two of my four red liners (sealed with super glue).

Bit annoying as I wouldn't ever change them but I don't think anyone else really gets this issue?

I run soft tyres (trials/Maxxis Trialmaxx) at 4-6 psi, I'm a bit of a lump, bit still, the only way I can see that happening is that the rim lock is being pushed towards the rim. Always torque it to 15nm after inflating the inner bladder...

So apart from going on a diet... What can be done?? Is it just the soft tyres at low pressure? I do smack the rear into logs and ledges and stuff but still..
I can think of a couple of thing that could be causing it.

Are you inflating the inner all the way up to 120psi? It's a good idea to as it's this pressure that's stopping the the rubber from getting squashed when you tighten the rim lock. Less pressure will allow the nut to go further (and further compress the rubber, possibly damaging it) before hitting it's torque setting

The next one is that 15nm torque setting.......it's too high!!! I They used to say 15nm, but some time ago the instructions were revised and they lowered it to 12. Doesn't sound like a massive difference but 12 up to 15 is 25% so that could well be the issue (might be worth testing your torque wrench against another too):

Oh and one last thing. I give the rubber block a squirt of silicone spray on the surface the inner goes up against so that when the inner is inflated it doesn't grab as it seems rather tight squeeze in there. Maybe it wouldn't anyway but whilst you're at it eh :).

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
Inflate to 110psi on my track pump and have been told by Jeff to try 12nm. Have also started lubing everything with silicone grease to try and get more life out of the inner bladder.

Did a really cool mega technical ride today and the tubliss was in its element. Unreal traction when used with a Maxxis. Had a great day.

·
Registered
587 Posts
I can see how this may work on the back with the Tubliss clamping the tyre to the rim & stiffening up the tyre wall ,the tyre soft on the contact patch & no worries using a punctured or ripped tyre, interesting .
exactly this reason 👍🏻

·
Registered
8,802 Posts
I didn’t know they’d changed the rim lock torque, that’s good to know. I used to use silicone, lots of it for a while. It works fine if changing tyres often as it doesn’t dry that quickly but if not changing often soapy water is the best by miles. I slosh in a good 200ml each time. The excess means you’ve got a constant replacement medium in there. It never dries out and it keeps everything happy. Longevity is superior on soapy water.

81 - 100 of 128 Posts