KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use a tubeless type system on my mountain bike from a company called Stan's no tubes. It uses a latex type fluid to seal punctures.Bit like slime. I can find a bit about using it with the Tubliss system but wondered if anyone had first hand experience on a dirt bike.

I was wondering whether the fluid was up to the bigger cuts etc.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Personally I wouldn't use latex in them. It'll make tyre changes a nightmare. It would seal them nicely though.

If you feel you need a sealant genuine Slime or ORO tractor tyre sealant is better for the application. Both stay fluid. Block possible punctures in thin tyres. They also dynamically balance the wheel so all good. ORO does up to 10mm holes in tyres too.

·
Registered
9,169 Posts
Stans will go off too quickly due to the heat involved, if you want a sealant use Slime or any other tyre sealant.

Pindie, latex or other sealer makes no difference to the mess ;) , i use Stans on my mountainbike tyres.

Reactions: Pindie

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
I've used the sealants. ORO is my fave. I don't find Slime or ORO messy to be fair but my reason for not favouring latex is when I've had good punctures in mtb tubes it's stuck the tube to the tyre and rim making it a git to change the tube. It also seems to block valve.

Slime and ORO don't block valves, just puntures.

If you are a low frequency rider then sealant is a good idea. If you ride often (and not worried about puntures) I'm not convinced it's so useful. I'm changing tyres every other week for racing or training so just like it simple.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've used the sealants. ORO is my fave. I don't find Slime or ORO messy to be fair but my reason for not favouring latex is when I've had good punctures in mtb tubes it's stuck the tube to the tyre and rim making it a git to change the tube. It also seems to block valve.

Slime and ORO don't block valves, just puntures.

If you are a low frequency rider then sealant is a good idea. If you ride often (and not worried about puntures) I'm not convinced it's so useful. I'm changing tyres every other week for racing or training so just like it simple.
I only do green lanes and the odd event so don't tend to swap my tyres that often - just when they wear out. Got some spare wheels with trails tyres on them when I need them.

Your right stan's is some messy [email protected] and when you do need to fit a tube on puncture that won't repair on an MTB its a pretty messy affair. All that white liquid over your hands ;) etc.

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Good find!

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Spoke to a nice lady from OKO today and she says she knows of people of used it with the system and it works fine. She also mentioned that it is latex based but unlike the stan's stuff it does not ball and last much longer. In passing she mentioned Magic Milk (I told her I already had some... ; ) ) as an alternative to stan's for use on an MTB

Magic Milkâ„¢ for tubeless bikes 500ml | OKO Sales Ltd

If enough people are interested I might ask to see if she will do a forum discount

1 - 9 of 9 Posts