KTM Owners Forum banner
201 - 220 of 244 Posts

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Totally agree. You jab it in slowly and at an angle. Spit or rubber solution makes good lube. It’ll go in pretty easy. I used to ream out the hole but stopped doing that as had more leaks than stuffing in fat turds. Get the 5mm plus diameter ones as these will seal a 10mm hole. You need the turd to go inside at least 10mm before you snatch out the tool. Then snip the external tail off about 7mm out the carcass. I’ve even double plugged one hole before.

You can get really fat plugs. 12mm diameter. These can be cut as long as the slit in a tyre. Then carefully and slowly push in sideways. Leave a moment to squidge into the split. It’ll get you going again.

You can also file the tips of the insertion tool flat. It’ll still go through a hole in a tyre but won’t puncture the inner.

Reactions: steveman

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
Gazza & Pindie, many thanks guys. That sounds great. I have only once used the turds on a street tyre. Worked well and I rode the tyre until it was worn.
Will buy a repair kit and different sizes of turds soon. Before I do I will have a look if the tyre kept the air. The tyre is a 120/100, a fat pig about 13lbs heavy. So it leaves probably enough space between the red liner and the insertion tool (what a term lol).
Thanks again!
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Light Tread

Reactions: Pindie

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Gazza & Pindie, many thanks guys. That sounds great. I have only once used the turds on a street tyre. Worked well and I rode the tyre until it was worn.
Will buy a repair kit and different sizes of turds soon. Before I do I will have a look if the tyre kept the air. The tyre is a 120/100, a fat pig about 13lbs heavy. So it leaves probably enough space between the red liner and the insertion tool (what a term lol).
Thanks again! View attachment 47758
What tyre is that, and what's it for?

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
What tyre is that, and what's it for?
It is a Shinko 525 Hybrid Cheater in 120/100 (!)/18. It has a stiff sidewalls but soft knobbies, no "E"-approval, no FIM approval.
I translated what the seller wrote, an advert of course:

"Known as the "Shinko Cheater", the R-525 Hybrid Cheater is the latest hybrid soft intermediate terrain enduro tyre.

This extreme enduro tyre finds traction even under extreme conditions.
Perfect for soft / intermediate terrain
The Cheater Hybrids are a soft, sticky trial-style rubber compound on a motocross casing
The tread design and unique rubber compound are suitable for a wide range of ground conditions
Where a trials tyre falls short in braking and loose ground conditions, the 525 "Cheater" fills that gap to make it the ultimate hybrid off-road tyre
"It's almost like cheating"

The 525 features an open tread pattern that shines in soft, loose and loamy terrain
Provides traction even on the most challenging terrain"

I bought it for my Croatia Trip as I was really disappointed how the rear Michelin Enduro Med performed in the worst conditions I had seen so far. It was warm and dry but 5 days of rain before we arrived transformed the forrest soil in something like ice, just less predictable. There were about 10 inches of leaves with one inch of mud underneath. under the mud the ground was hard and loamy.
For me it was a nightmare as easy climbs got challenging and downhills became really intimidating. I hate it if I am a passenger with little to no control over the bike.
I hope that we will have much better conditions in September, but if not I will probably have more control with the Shinko and either a M59 or MX33 front tyre.

Reactions: Al_Orange

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
@Pindie
Just came back from checking tyre pressures. In 20 hours the tyre low pressure chamber (set to 18 psi) lost less than 1psi, 0.7 to be exact. That is 0.05 bar and that you lose when checking pressure. No problem whatsoever!

The high pressure bladder has lost 10 psi (or 0.7bar). I first thought that is a lot but then had a look in the trouble shooting section and it states that you may lose 10psi when checking pressure. I tried that several times and the least I lost was 5psi when I was really quick. So it seems everything works like expected. I check both pressures every time before I ride anyway.
Thx for your help.

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
Definitely need a decent pressure checker for Tubliss. I just always do my pressure before a ride so it never actually matters if it’s leaking. I’ll be done before it’s lost pressure

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
That is exactly what I will do in the future.
But it is understandable to check the pressure several times when a new Tubliss system has been installed.
All I need to get are turds and insertion tool and a lightweight e-pump to change tyre pressure out in the forest. :)

·
Registered
10,549 Posts
I’ve never actually put a turd in on the trail. I put one in once at the start of day two at the Welsh two day once and that’s it. If in a 3 hour race or general ragging about I’ve just kept going and sorted it later.

·
Registered
7,343 Posts
I know what you are talking about Pindie but if I ride in Romania or Croatia I am out in the middle of nowhere and I am also forced to use public roads. So I prefer not to ride too long with zero pressure...

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
😫😫😫

There has to be something out there that is like tubliss but doesn't fail!!???

I've lost count of the number of high pressure tubes that have split at the base of the valve. It's so annoying as it's happening on brand new tubes after only a few hours sometimes.

Otherwise, tubliss is amazing but it's so annoying having this issue all the time.

I hate mousses and I'm starting to get pissed with tubliss... I like the look of lucioli but I can see them getting proper punctures..

Wasn't Lee coming up with something??.

·
Registered
577 Posts
😫😫😫

I've lost count of the number of high pressure tubes that have split at the base of the valve. It's so annoying as it's happening on brand new tubes after only a few hours sometimes.

Otherwise, tubliss is amazing but it's so annoying having this issue all the time.

I hate mousses and I'm starting to get pissed with tubliss... I like the look of lucioli but I can see them getting proper punctures..

I had a lucioli in the rear. Lasted about 3 months.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
😫😫😫

I've had the inner spit in the same place three or four times but I think I got to the bottom of what was causing the issue for me, and since paying particular attention to it I haven't had one go in over 400 hours of riding.

Firstly (and I'm sure this was my main issue) I noticed that the small nut on the valve stem (that snugs up to the rubber washer) sometimes (from new) has a gap of about 3-4 mm between it and said washer. To me that gap meant that when fitted and inflated, the base of the valve was elevated from the rim and pushed into the inner if that makes sense (perhaps try to imagine what would happen / how the valve would push up into the inner if you fitted and inflated the inner with the nut halfway down the valve stem to get what I mean). I got in touch with the then UK seller at the time and they got what I meant, said that yes that could cause issues, sent me a free inner and said that'd he'd pass the details onto Tubliss. In short I make sure now when fitting it (I've probably done 6-7 sets for friends) that the nut is always finger tight up to the rubber washer which in turn is seated right at the base of the valve / up against the inner.

I also always used to use an airline (which you may not be doing anyway) to inflate both the inner and the outer and I once had one go when doing that. This was early days and maybe there was again a raised valve but also the area around the valve is a lot thicker than the rest of the tube and I figured it possibly stretches at a different rate and a very sudden pressure increase may cause a tear. I now use a track pump which still does the job pretty quickly but the stretch will be far more gradual.

I too much prefer it to mousses (average at first, get better, get great then get fooked! though each to their own eh) but I guess by the nature of how it works it certainly seems to have a pretty tight margin for error on the fitment side of things. Oh and I picked up a Luciloi tube in my local dealer when they came out, it weighed a bloody ton. Might be fine / not too noticeable on the rear but I'd not want one on the front :).

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
Good shout, cheers. I did used to check the nut was all the way down but thinking about it, I haven't done so for a while. I do use a compressor as that has been by far the most reliable way to get an instant and lasting seal but maybe I could turn the pressure down a bit.

The weird/good thing is that I've never had a failure when out riding, only ever after changing a tyre and it's fine then the next day I go out and it's failed. One time I was in the garage doing something else and I heard it go!

·
Registered
659 Posts
I havnt had an inner fail while out riding, but have had a couple fail from pinches or tears when fitting. I also had one fail while the bike was in the back of my brothers van coming back from a MX track. Been riding all day with no problems, then on the motorway heard a shooshing noise, thinking it was a gas leak or a water leak climbed through to the garage bit of the van and figured it was the tyre. When I unloaded the van and went to pump the tyre up to find the puncture, it was the inner that had spontaneously failed, but as seems to be the usual it was right by the valve.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
I havnt had an inner fail while out riding, but have had a couple fail from pinches or tears when fitting. I also had one fail while the bike was in the back of my brothers van coming back from a MX track. Been riding all day with no problems, then on the motorway heard a shooshing noise, thinking it was a gas leak or a water leak climbed through to the garage bit of the van and figured it was the tyre. When I unloaded the van and went to pump the tyre up to find the puncture, it was the inner that had spontaneously failed, but as seems to be the usual it was right by the valve.
That is interesting and exactly what I'm experiencing. I've never pinched or damaged a tube on install. I consider myself quite adept when it comes to tubliss so this is really frustrating.

201 - 220 of 244 Posts