KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
that's me, init?!?!?

What a cock. Fitting subframe to my 01EXC today. Ummed and ahhed about either lengthening the right hand bottom arm, or shortening the left hand bottom arm. After lots of measuring up, I decided to shorten left hand bottom arm - two reasons.....one, it brought the exhaust mounts into line better, and two, it drops the seat by an inch which is ideal with my 31 inch inside leg measurement.

So, I merrily chop the carefully measured length off the bottom left arm. I then put the bolt in for the bottom right arm - cool, it fits.....I then pull bottom left arm into position, and the airbox cover decided to pop off. Hmmmm, I thought.....what's occurring???

Then, on closer inspection.....after much sweating and stuff.....I noticed that the airbox is fouling against the top chain roller (the one that catches the chain if it breaks) and it's getting distorted out of shape. Feckin' WANK....that's just what I don't want.

Now I've got two options......lengthen the right hand arm and add a bit back onto the left hand arm (like as if I had just lengthened the right hand arm on it's own in the first place, but now with two sides to weld!!!), or, somehow relocate the top chain roller to shift it forward 10mm (could do this, I suppose, just by drilling one hole).....and I suppose a 3rd option would be just to remove the chain roller and maybe put a smaller diameter roller on there instead.

Oh well, any other ideas anyone? If you were me.....what would you do?

I'm tempted to go the welding route.....and am pretty confident welding....but I haven't got a TIG. Anyone closish to Brighton who could help out here???

Pete

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
No help to you but what subframe you fitting if to have to go through all this?

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
05 subframe and airbox and seat and plastics onto an 01 EXC. Completed fecked up the rear end of the EXC so decided to kind of modernise it a bit. Nowt complicated really - should have just checked for airbox to top chain roller clearance before getting the saw out. Feel like a right knob now !

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Im straight up guessing here, but would getting rid of the airbox be an option? Putting a nice pod filter on instead perhaps...

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
99sleepyhollow......the jobs a simple one. It'll be easier after a couple of pints of Guiness and a TIG welder. Tempted to give the Laser aluminium repair, or the Techno Weld, a go. Both are stronger than the parent metal, and don't need as much heat as the TIG gives - can weld with mapp gas.

Supatard, that's something I would definitely consider if I was only using the bike on the road, and I've got a whole stack of Unifilter Australia filters here, with a heap of pods in there somewhere. But what with riding in mud and dirt....I'd better stick with the airbox.

·
Registered
1,112 Posts
05 subframe and airbox and seat and plastics onto an 01 EXC. Completed fecked up the rear end of the EXC so decided to kind of modernise it a bit. Nowt complicated really - should have just checked for airbox to top chain roller clearance before getting the saw out. Feel like a right knob now !
i'm sure a little someone did mention to only put the top 2 bolts in and see which was the best one to attack, guess you didnt check everything did you ;)

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
99sleepyhollow......the jobs a simple one. It'll be easier after a couple of pints of Guiness and a TIG welder. Tempted to give the Laser aluminium repair, or the Techno Weld, a go. Both are stronger than the parent metal, and don't need as much heat as the TIG gives - can weld with mapp gas.

Supatard, that's something I would definitely consider if I was only using the bike on the road, and I've got a whole stack of Unifilter Australia filters here, with a heap of pods in there somewhere. But what with riding in mud and dirt....I'd better stick with the airbox.
The Guinness bit sounds good :D

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm sure a little someone did mention to only put the top 2 bolts in and see which was the best one to attack, guess you didnt check everything did you ;)
Steve, that's what I did. Top two bolts in....had a measure up and seemed the distance to the exhaust mounts was too great so decided to chop left to bring it in closer, rather than extend right. Then found the air box fouling on the upper chain roller. And subsequently found that the reason the exhaust mounts weren't lined up properly is because one of the exhaust brackets was bent. Like I said.....TWAT WITH A HACKSAW:rotflmao:

Still....there's one thing I have always wanted.....and that's a decent TIG welder, and I've got lots of other jobs lined up for it. So here I am, looking through ads for decent used kit!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts