KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Folks,

I'm off to France in two weeks with my lovely lady on my new (to me) 2008 990 Adv. Its got a new rear tyre, its just a straight replacement for the stock tyre. It needs a new front tyre and I want some help. Will be sticking mostly to the roads in France, trip will be 2000 + miles :scooter:.

Heading from Rosslare, across to Cherbourg and down to the Massive Central area.

What front tyre should I get?

Cheers,

Paul

·
Registered
9,840 Posts
If you ve got a new scorpion on the rear and only want to buy one tyre Id go for another scorpion on the front but if your only doing road riding Id get a set of continental trail attacks , there a much better tyre than the scorpions and are a full on road tyre .:D
You could always sell the rear scorpion on here .

·
Registered
388 Posts
As mentioned, I'd stick a front scorpion on there if I were you. It should see you through your intended mileage. Then when you're done with them you may consider another tyre choice to suit you intended use (off road, on road or both). Enjoy your trip.

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Having used a few tyres,i always end up feeling a Scorpion is far better than what i have on the bike.
As my R1/GSXR riding mates say....''that thing defies logic''!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think I'll stick with the scorpions for now.

Is it possible to get something to fix punctures in tyres without having to take the tyre off to get at the tube?

·
Registered
147 Posts
I think I'll stick with the scorpions for now.

Is it possible to get something to fix punctures in tyres without having to take the tyre off to get at the tube?
Yes. european breakdown recovery. Some of the ferry operators offer it as an option when booking.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
Even with recovery,carry a spare tube because pi55ing about in a foreign country trying to find somewhere with tubes could mean losing a days riding or more so if the shops are shut. At the least carry a puncture repair kit.

Saying that,i have only had 1 puncture in 28k miles which was whilst off roading in Portugal where a rusty bike spoke on the lane or the roadside went through the tyre. I still carry tubes in the fairings.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Regarding punctures - I suffereda couple last year in Portugal and lost two days messing around as mentioned - now I always carry spare tubes and tyre levers and puncture repair kit. However, since the punctures I have been running the tyres with 'Puncture Safe' in, similar to Slime but people seem to say its better - I dont know - have used both now and suffed any problems with either - even if you do get a puncture with this in the tubes you can still repair it as normal. The peace of mind knowing you have this in your tubes in cas of front tyre blow out is worth it weight in gold. regardless of what people say - I cant feel any difference to handling having it in the tyres/tubes. Wouldnt go anywhere without it.

Enjoy your trip - hope you have better weather than when I was there - early June - nothing but rain - but still great fun...

·
Registered
507 Posts
You need a road tyre , scorpion is as good as any .

If you ve got a new scorpion on the rear and only want to buy one tyre Id go for another scorpion on the front but if your only doing road riding Id get a set of continental trail attacks , there a much better tyre than the scorpions and are a full on road tyre
Punctures are a learning proccess , why not fast track and take on board the above
Regarding punctures - I suffereda couple last year in Portugal and lost two days messing around as mentioned - now I always carry spare tubes and tyre levers and puncture repair kit. However, since the punctures I have been running the tyres with 'Puncture Safe' in, similar to Slime but people seem to say its better - I dont know - have used both now and suffed any problems with either - even if you do get a puncture with this in the tubes you can still repair it as normal. The peace of mind knowing you have this in your tubes in cas of front tyre blow out is worth it weight in gold. regardless of what people say - I cant feel any difference to handling having it in the tyres/tubes. Wouldnt go anywhere without it.

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had a puncture in france last june. It was a 2 inch screw so i doubt any tyre addatives would have helped anyway.
I discovered the puncture about 17.30 and within 2 hours i was recovered, repaired and back at the campsite. Didn't even get my hands dirty.
The twat that repaired the puncture left the feckin screw in though :wanker: but i got away with it. Never assume, always check after a repair.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Even with recovery,carry a spare tube because pi55ing about in a foreign country trying to find somewhere with tubes could mean losing a days riding or more so if the shops are shut. At the least carry a puncture repair kit.

Saying that,i have only had 1 puncture in 28k miles which was whilst off roading in Portugal where a rusty bike spoke on the lane or the roadside went through the tyre. I still carry tubes in the fairings.

hi, i don't want to sound too stupid but where exactly do you stuff your tubes?

·
Registered
3,129 Posts
hi, i don't want to sound too stupid but where exactly do you stuff your tubes?
Take off the upper fairings,they're hollow so stuff them(tube....one in each side,NOT HEAVY DUTY!!) in but be careful not to block the tank breather pipe that is routed through them(blow through after to ensure not blocked). Put heavy duty tubes in your wheels and keep the standard ones inside the fairing.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts