KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody using the Michelin Power RS and if so how are you getting on with them, any issues etc? Cheers

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Mate of mine has them on a S1000R. Loves them when it's warm and dry (though prefers Conti Sport attacks), says they're nasty when it's cold and damp.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they’re shitty when cold and damp I might give up on that idea then and try the Road 5s. Thanks for the heads up...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
To be fair, I’ve no reason to change from the standard M7RR, just fancy trying something else and if it doesn’t work I can swap back... with the miles I’ll be putting on in a year I’ll need to swap at least once anyway, probably twice....I think.

·
Registered
191 Posts
There are few if any tyres that aren’t shitty when cold and damp surely?
My mates got the road 5's on his vstrom 1000 and he is mental on it even on damp roads this time of year, keeps grinding bits of the gear shift linkage.

Im trying to decide between those and the metzeler roadtec 01, had those before and liked them.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Hi Mark, Hope your well. What pressures do you run ?

Cheers Julian
Depends what I'm doing and based on the OEM Metzelers measured with cold tyres:

Road/Touring (Trips away to IOM/Scotland etc) 35 Rear 35 Front
Track (Cold day) 26/28 Rear 28/29 Front
Track (Normal/Warm) 28/30 rear 29/30 Front

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
As I say I’ve no real reason to change from the standard rubber, just wanted to try something else ( I’m never going to get full potential form the bike or a tyre so it’s nkt like I’m deluding myself into becoming a riding god or anything like that ). Just fell like trying something else when I get the chance to and it’ll soon be time to do so. If it ends up being a bad choice then I’d be more than happy to put another set of the M7RR back on it. I’ve still got 1-1.5” chicken strips on the tyres as it is so it’s hardly like I ride quickly or anything.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
As I say I’ve no real reason to change from the standard rubber, just wanted to try something else ( I’m never going to get full potential form the bike or a tyre so it’s nkt like I’m deluding myself into becoming a riding god or anything like that ). Just fell like trying something else when I get the chance to and it’ll soon be time to do so. If it ends up being a bad choice then I’d be more than happy to put another set of the M7RR back on it. I’ve still got 1-1.5” chicken strips on the tyres as it is so it’s hardly like I ride quickly or anything.
Get yourself on a road bike only track day and you’ll get rid of those strips...

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
It does appeal, apart from the costs involved if I go sliding along.... I learned how expensive bikes can be to repair the hard way. Shame really as Cadwell is only half an hour or so up the road

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
There are few if any tyres that aren’t shitty when cold and damp surely?
Some are a lot better than others. The RS's are very poor at dispersing water. They've got no sipes at all and according to Michelin rely on some magic chemical formulation that allows rubber to stick to water... Yeah right. They're a dry weather tyre.

I've run M7RRs since they came out on three bikes. They're excellent in the cold and wet (for a sports tyre). However I changed to Conti Sport attack 3s last year out of curiosity and now I'm on my third set and I love them. On the track the Metzelers have the edge on dry grip but only just. The advantage is miniscule and only the fastest of the fast group is going to find it. On the road they are indistinguishable except that the Contis turn in marginally slower, but again only just. Both warm up at about the same rate ie. rapidly.
Ditto the wet. I've ridden the Superduke in torrential rain with Contis and M7s and can't split them for wet grip. Where the Contis win is front end stability and feedback at both ends. I've had the Metzelers let go without warning and it made the heart thump, but the Contis communicate so well that you can feel a slip coming and somehow, when it does, it's not remotely scary because you can feel through the seat of your pants exactly what they're doing.
And Contiental don't use release agent. You really, genuinely don't need to scrub them in.

Both great tyres but if you like M7s, well worth trying the SA 3s. Definitely not a budget tyre and suit the SUperduke really well.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Sooo many choices! It does get confusing. I’ve read a few people’s opinions on the M7 all saying the same about the front end.... I’m guessing I’m not going quick enough to have noticed that lack of feel ornis it just my inexperience that means I’ve not noticed it?

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
On a bike like the Superduke tyres don't last long. I get through two sets a year, minimum. They won't be on there long so you can afford to experiment. There are no bad tyres at the top end of the market but some will really gel with your riding style and others won't. If you don't try something new you'll never know which ones have got your name on them.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
Both great tyres but if you like M7s, well worth trying the RA 3s. Definitely not a budget tyre and suit the SUperduke really well.
Interesting and for sure the front can feel ‘wooden’ sometimes when you’re leaning on it, but I’ve never felt it move and figure it could be me hanging off or on too hard...

I’ve never even considered Contis for the SDR although use them on my bicycle...

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
It does appeal, apart from the costs involved if I go sliding along.... I learned how expensive bikes can be to repair the hard way. Shame really as Cadwell is only half an hour or so up the road
That’s why the road bike days are so popular as they’re less intense. The SDR is bloody ace round Cadwell..

1 - 20 of 87 Posts