KTM Owners Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Thanks for the heads up ?? I think one of those companies is the same as a lad from work mentioned.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
For UK suppliers Parkitt Racing are very good. Keen prices, usually as good as the online companies, and excellent customer service from a bricks and mortar high street business where there are real human beings who you can actually speak to on the phone.

Back to chicken strips.. There is nothing risky or reckless in using your full tyre width. It's a case of know your tyres, know your bike and know the limits of your own ability. If you explore these parameters gradually and get properly familiar with them you know exactly where you are and how far you can go. My 1190 find the edge of its tyres easily as they have to be sports touring rather than sports. Even so, at the limit your pretty much scraping your toes and if you need to turn harder its just a question of using your body weight.
If you are using all the tyre, all the tyre is up to temperature and you don't need to be doing jail speeds to do it. You can get right over on a 40 mph bend if your line is right, and you turn late, turn short and keep it tight.

The Sport Attack rear also has "grip limit feedback technology" which means they let you know when you're nearing the limits of lean angle by allowing the smallest sidways slip. It's just the gentlest hint of drift which doesn't unsettle the bike but tells you you've had your lot and don't push any more and because its lateral drift and not traction loss it doesn't activate the TC.

My SDR rear has no chicken strips but I've yet to experience the warning slip. When you get towards the edge, the point of going over the edge is further away than you think.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
There is some truth in this, I only started getting rid of chicken strips on my bikes after a number of track day / Flid Fest sessions. This improved my riding no end to the point that I was road riding with, at times, no margin for error. In truth riding like a bellend, 100mph in 30 zones, 170mph on motorways with only luck and chance on my side
:eek: What do U want for next Xmas a Soap on a Rope ;)

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
For UK suppliers Parkitt Racing are very good. Keen prices, usually as good as the online companies, and excellent customer service from a bricks and mortar high street business where there are real human beings who you can actually speak to on the phone.

Back to chicken strips.. There is nothing risky or reckless in using your full tyre width. It's a case of know your tyres, know your bike and know the limits of your own ability. If you explore these parameters gradually and get properly familiar with them you know exactly where you are and how far you can go. My 1190 find the edge of its tyres easily as they have to be sports touring rather than sports. Even so, at the limit your pretty much scraping your toes and if you need to turn harder its just a question of using your body weight.
If you are using all the tyre, all the tyre is up to temperature and you don't need to be doing jail speeds to do it. You can get right over on a 40 mph bend if your line is right, and you turn late, turn short and keep it tight.

The Sport Attack rear also has "grip limit feedback technology" which means they let you know when you're nearing the limits of lean angle by allowing the smallest sidways slip. It's just the gentlest hint of drift which doesn't unsettle the bike but tells you you've had your lot and don't push any more and because its lateral drift and not traction loss it doesn't activate the TC.

My SDR rear has no chicken strips but I've yet to experience the warning slip. When you get towards the edge, the point of going over the edge is further away than you think.
But...could lateral drift lead to friction loss and wheel spin under power and then activate TC.:smokin:

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
No. Slippage is not the same as traction loss.

Edit: Actually, I guess a lot depends on your bike's MTC system how you've got it set. There was a group test of road sports tyres back in the summer in one of the mags. Fast Bike I think. They were track testing using an S1000R and an R1M. The Sport Attack 3s actually came last of the six tyres tested but they did stress that the margin between first and last was so small it only amounted to a second in lap times and would be imperceptible on the road.

The tester said that the Contis were the most fun because the grip limit slippage thing could be used to initiate 150 mph power slides and made them really easy to control, so they ended up just fucking about going round corners sideways on the R1M at full throttle... So I'm guessing for that they either had the MTC turned off or dialed right down.
I don't think I'll be trying that..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
any worthwhile mods to be done to the 1290? As it is it’s got the full Akra etc but if I get this new job I’ll have plenty of funds to play with and I get bored easily.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Is it 2017 onwards or a pre '17 mk 1?
If it's a mark 1 get a pro suspension set-up and preferably get the forks and shock overhauled and reshimmed. There's too much rebound with the factory spec. A pro set-up greatly improve things but you end up with very little rebound adjustment left and an overhaul is better. Which reminds me. AMS are now a WP service agent and they offer overhauls. Must ask whether they just rebuild to factory spec or if they do custom builds.
For mk 1s also get the MTC reset dongle. It allows you turn the MTC off and it stays off instead of defaulting to on every time you turn the key.

When the brake pads wear out try Carbonne Lorraine (available from Moore Speed Racing). Cheaper than Brembo, just as much power but more progressive feel.

Whether mk 1 or mk 2 fit an Evotech tail tidy. The KTM one is OK but the Evotech is better, neater and lighter. And fit the Powerparts seat to create the world's most comfortable hooligan bike.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Rear sets. Good idea. They are on my to-do list.

Sounds like you just need to spend some money on petrol and tyres. And pray for another summer like last year..

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Being 6’6 any room for adjustment is welcome but to be honest the standard ones really aren’t bad. If only I could get the quickshifter to work every time I’d be happy and content I think...

·
Registered
855 Posts
Any thoughts on Racetec RR’s obviously for dry use only? Have them on my SP2 in the K3 compound and they work well on there, any good for the SDR?
Also consider Conti Race Attack Endurance. Cheaper than the Metz and are described as a Metz RR 2.5. Developed by staff poached from Metzeler. Probably last longer too. Got them on my 690SMCR

·
Registered
191 Posts
My mates got the road 5's on his vstrom 1000 and he is mental on it even on damp roads this time of year, keeps grinding bits of the gear shift linkage.

Im trying to decide between those and the metzeler roadtec 01, had those before and liked them.

I decided to go for a third option, Continental Road Attack 3... Should get them fitted in the next week or so.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Anybody using the Michelin Power RS and if so how are you getting on with them, any issues etc? Cheers
I used them on my 2016 1290 SDR. Loved them. phenominal in dry, as good as any other sports tyre in the wet. Got reasonable milage out them too.

·
Registered
351 Posts
If only I could get the quickshifter to work every time I’d be happy and content I think...
Are you used to clutchless up shifts? i.e. pre-weight the shifter then a quick ease and open on the throttle

If so are you pre-weighting the shifter? Don't go near it until you wanna shift and then just snap it up.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts