KTM Owners Forum banner

81 - 87 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
I never found them slippery. I just thought they were a bit vague in the feedback department.
I'm not sure how tire can be "vague". It either sticks or it doesn't.

Front end suspension can be vague - meaning it doesn't give you enough feedback on compression/rebound into the turns, but not the tire for sure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm not sure how tire can be "vague". It either sticks or it doesn't.

Front end suspension can be vague - meaning it doesn't give you enough feedback on compression/rebound into the turns, but not the tire for sure.
Tyres are sold as having construction in the sidewalls that is designed to improve feedback, so the manufacturers seem to think tyres affect feedback feel. And in reviews of tyres, I often hear people say that some tyres reach the limits of traction, and just let go, whereas others have a longer period where they start to slide a bit, so you know you are approaching the limit - thereby providing more useful feedback.

I'm no expert, but some tyres seem to provide better feedback than others. I describe those that don't as a bit vague.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Racetec rr K3’s I put on the Sdr end of last summer. Just over 900 miles on them now. Rear chews up a bit on the last stretch of the loop we normally do, few mega left handlers near the end and obviously pushing on the most then.

Next time out, stop for fuel 10 or so miles in and is all polished up again looking like new. Surprisingly robust tyre as long a you keep moving through the corners and has stayed nice and round. My mate has put one on his and ripped the middle out of it in a couple of hundred miles though, so it seems the middle doesn’t like too much straight line abuse or heat!

Cracking tyre, I’ve taken the piss big time on them and they will not budge.

Doesn’t look as bad as the picture in real life and still plenty of life left. I’d recommend them to anyone, heat up really fast. 34F and 34R seems about right, any lower and the rear really starts to chew.

Front could do another rear possibly, def half anyway. Wouldn’t like to say what they’d be like on really hot tarmac, I normally go out evenings after 6:30pm.

Be interesting to see how many more 100’s of miles they go.......top tyre.
8FCB5873-68B3-4E41-824C-7804981154BA.jpeg

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I was going to try them on my 1190 Adv but the offer of a pair of Conti RA3s came along at £260 fitted ride-in/ride-out and as I know these tyres are cracking and suit the bike, it was too good to turn down, especially given lockdown finances.

I will try the Roadtechs (the latest version is called the Roadtech 01 SE).

I have to say though, the Contis were like the return of an old friend. It's true they don't offer quite the lean angle possibilities of the PR5s but they hold a line in really fast bends like the bike is on rails, whereas I was having to make a physical and mental effect with the Michelins to keep it on line, and that got markedly worse as the tyres wore. Also, I had the traction control light come on a few times under straight line acceleration on a dry road. That never happened with the Contis. It would lift the front wheel but never broke traction. And the PR5s cannot match the security the Continentals give to the front end.
I will try the Roadtech SE's but for now I'm pleased to welcome the RA3's back.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I just have serious trust issues when it comes to tyres John. If I’ve got any doubt in my mind it ruins my ride out and I don’t get many.

The only way I don’t have to think about it is to have something on I know will massively out perform anything I can chuck at it. Before these rr K3’s I’ve only ever bought sc scrubs and I’ve nearly doubled the mileage I’d get out of a rear already with plenty to spare. And these heat up a lot quicker.

I did try the m7rr’s that came on the bike but could never trust them fully, prob me and not the tyre but I just couldnt.

At 42, not owning that many bikes, or covering many miles, using many tyres, etc, I don’t see any harm if I chew through a bit of new sticky rubber while I can afford to or until I get it out of my system. In fact it’s quite satisfying and worth enjoying while it’s happening, especially knowing 150% there will be no grip issues.

And honestly I don’t cover enough miles to worry about using more than 2 rears and a front per year, if that.

Part of me thought rear might have given up by now....I have tried my hardest! But it still wants to go on. I was surprised actually that I hadn’t flattened it off and that’s why I thought I’d stick it up.

Wet riding isn’t a problem as I don’t do it by choice. I did get caught out on the racetec rr’s and they were fine anyway.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
I did try the m7rr’s that came on the bike but could never trust them fully, prob me and not the tyre but I just couldnt.
I have had a few unexplained rear end slides on M7RRs. I loved them when they first came out and they were a definite improvement on the OE Dunlops the gen 1 SDR came with. But five years is a very long time in tyre development and they are superceded now. I've got a brand new set on my SDR because I had a spare front lying on the shelf and it made economic sense back in the winter when I thought I might sell the bike and needed to fit new tyres, to use that spare and just buy a new rear. I'll live with them. They'll only last 2000 miles anyway.

81 - 87 of 87 Posts