KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I've been lurking on here for a while now since I got an RC8 at the start of the summer. Love it by the way bit that's another story.

Now I find myself the owner of a 2000 640 LC4 SM which is in need of a thorough going over......It's been sat in my brothers garage for 4 years and he's finally given it to me so I have a winter project to keep me out of mischief...

It's a 2 prong attack to clean up the bike, as there's quite a lot of rust and corrosion, and also update the looks cos it aint too purdy. So, I'll powder coat the swingarm, wheels and frame and try to polish out the rest of the corrosion. I also want to replace the rear end with the newer version from the twin pipe model.

I've tracked down all of the plastics, undertray, airbox, etc but I can't find a subframe anywhere (except for new ones at £800:eek:).

So.....help......does anyone know where I can get my hands on one as it's the only thing holding me back now.....

I'll try to post updates and pictures of the build as it goes on too....

Cheers and there's a barrel of cider behind the bar:burp:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
Welcome. I'll have a cider, cheers.

Are you planning to update the plastics to the modern style as you go? There should be a wide range of subframe options as basically any LC4 one can be made to fit. I'd be hunting down a late model one and going with plastics to suit personally.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi...

Yes, I'm going for the 06 and later rear end and also intend to fit an EXC headlight surround, change the front mudguard and fit some fat bars.

Once all of that's done I'll move to the engine. Plan is to fit an FCR 41 and open the airbox with a differant exhaust as well. I'm in two minds about this though because it's a black engine and I hear they are unreliable so I have the voices on my shoulder saying 'change the engine......fit a 625 SMC one...'.

Not sure what to do about that yet.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Hello mister & welcome - kwafee here please:)

If the bike is running, then get on and ride it:burnout: Look after it with regular servicing and have some fun - if anything goes pearshaped, then parts/ spares are aplenty.

If you are handy with a welder you could alter the existing sub frame to suit;)

Lots of stories about the black engine :rolleyes::confused: why worry about that chapter of the story, if you have a happy ending:smokin:

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
I'm on an 01 that is coming up for a big tidy and tart up. I've got a black motor thats been good to me so far. I don't think its such a big deal since the weak points of the engine are well known, as are the remedies. If my head ever cracks, I will get a high flow one to replace it. And if I ever had the slightest hint that the bottom end was unhappy, I would have the side cover off to asses the trouble prone bearing which can be replaced without taking everything apart. I guess if I wasn't doing my own spanner work, I might find it more daunting.

Good call on the later rear end. Going for the same here. If you can't locate a late model sub frame, it is possible to modify the original. Hit up the search feature on here as there have been many a discussion with pics on the topic.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts