KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
thought that may get some attention:D

Currently have Synch's fitted on my 950SMR. recently had a new one put on the rear. Now the front is looking near the wear limit and one side is a fair bit worn (must be all the roundabouts in my town!). My question is..I have a front Diablo Corsa fitted on my Yam SM that i could swap over but its at least 3 years old, has plenty of tread and has done a track day. Ive kept the pressures very high on the Yam as its not really been used except the odd short ride to keep things moving etc.

so do you think this will be ok firstly from a matching perspective.. stickier rubber on the front, less sticky on the rear?
and also from an age prespective, there's no sign of perishing but am i better just taking the hit of a new tyre rather than 'risking' it?

love to hear if anyone has used a similar tyre 'match-up'

many thanks :D

·
Registered
352 Posts
You WANT stickier rubber on the front as its much better for the back to slide first for obvious reasons so thats not an issue. I would say give it a go. Check the tyre over to make sure theres no bad crazing/cracking and that it holds pressure properly. Take it easy on the test ride and just gradually increase your speed, you know what the tyre should feel like so if its off youll know and can buy a new one.

·
Registered
6,811 Posts
Your bike .............your life ................. for all the cost of a new tyre ............ you steer through it, brake through it and rely on it gripping when leaning well over and at high speed.

I've once lost a front end when using a tyre that was passed its sell by date - never again!

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
i would be more concerned about using different tyres front and rear. a lot of the proper supermoto guys on here use for example a race wet front with a different rear. but not sure it would be a good idea on a 950.
i needed a new rear and had a similiar thought. was going to leave the front on and get a different model rear. decided against it in the end and bought a pair.
i was told modern tyres have a lifespan of about 5 years from manufacture.
so so long as there are no obvious signs of cracks, damage etc, then should be fine.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for your responses.

after a further detailed inspection just now on the corsa i think i will give it a go. it looks fine and if recommendation is 5 years its well within that. wish the synch's werent so darned expensive!

·
Registered
5,769 Posts
No issues IMO. I run old pairs, old mixed ones,ex-race rubber and anything and everything in between. At road speeds, IMO it simply doesn't matter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts