Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know..... Boring...

Options:

Worn Mitas Double Green with soft mousse
New Mitas Double Green with soft mousse

As above with tublips

Maxxis Trialmaxx or Michelin X11 with tublips..

Or trials tyre with soft mousse....

I'm thinking New Mita DG with soft mousse but watching vids and having been there and been passed by guys on trials tyres, I'm not 100%

AM race and not going to be going fast.

Whaddythink?

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Welsh rules have all changed. Hopefully they will allow more than 50 per race as it’s now legal to do so.

Mitas tyres might give you a rash!

I’ve used a trials tyre there at D2D no problem. Great on rocks but for the extreme they may struggle on the wooded hills?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah it's a tricky one but then most of the worded stuff is full of rocks anyway. That's why I'm contemplating maxxis as a good hybrid. But run the risk of cutting the side wall.

Pretty sure Valleys is going to be opened up properly.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Walters is an odd place. Being open cast mining debris it’s gritty slime as opposed to mud. There’s no grass. I think any tyre would work there. It’s somewhere that rewards decent technique over knobs. It’s also bleak as hell. Strong will will serve you better!

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I reckon I might try the maxxis on the Saturday and then switch to mitas on the Sunday purely for the reliability. I'd like something a bit softer because the hardest bits seem to be the rock gardens and river beds. Found them somewhat challenging last time on a Mitas.

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Have you seen the Nick Plumb video? It’s now four races. Two Saturday. Two Sunday. Qualifying cancelled. Unless it has already changed back???

·
Registered
10,044 Posts
Still 50 each race or back to full numbers as well?

·
Registered
779 Posts
Personally i'd go for mitas double green with a really soft mousse. I hate the lack of braking on trialsmaxx. Only ridden Walters once (not valleys X) and it's a strangley slippery place. Even the bits that look grippy are slick as fuck

·
Registered
173 Posts
Just while everyone is talking about tyres. Has anyone found the new Mitas not as good? I really liked the old EF07 tyre in a single green but the newer rear Terra Force seems to lack grip, I think it is due to the pattern and increase of block size. I will say the front Terra Force is much better than the old front tyre.

All in I am finding myself going back to the trusty 6 day extreme and new Mich rear lately.

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just while everyone is talking about tyres. Has anyone found the new Mitas not as good? I really liked the old EF07 tyre in a single green but the newer rear Terra Force seems to lack grip, I think it is due to the pattern and increase of block size. I will say the front Terra Force is much better than the old front tyre.

All in I am finding myself going back to the trusty 6 day extreme and new Mich rear lately.
Interesting you should say that as I've been using the Terra Double Green rear and it seems excellent on rocks and pretty good on roots, but it seems definitely lacking in mud/slick conditions. So I'm picking up an EF07 DG to compare to it. I've been told that the Mich Medium is a much better all rounder than the Mitas Single Greens but then it's pretty crazy money at around £85.

I've found the new Terra Front to be great in rooty/rocky conditions but just looking at it, I can see it won't be as good on mud/grass as the Michelin. However, again, the Mich is ridiculous money at the moment - £72 for a front 90/100!

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Personally i'd go for mitas double green with a really soft mousse. I hate the lack of braking on trialsmaxx. Only ridden Walters once (not valleys X) and it's a strangley slippery place. Even the bits that look grippy are slick as fuck
I've found the high speed stuff to be pretty sketchy, especially in the wet, but I'm surprised at the amount of grip there is in the more technical stuff, it's because it's peppered with rocks throughout so there's something for a soft tyre to grab on to. Then when you throw in the riverbeds etc, a soft tyre is a must have. But for D2D I used a fucked EF07 yellow, and it was fine.

I think the big risk with the trialmaxx is slashing the sidewall.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Interesting you should say that as I've been using the Terra Double Green rear and it seems excellent on rocks and pretty good on roots, but it seems definitely lacking in mud/slick conditions. So I'm picking up an EF07 DG to compare to it. I've been told that the Mich Medium is a much better all rounder than the Mitas Single Greens but then it's pretty crazy money at around £85.

I've found the new Terra Front to be great in rooty/rocky conditions but just looking at it, I can see it won't be as good on mud/grass as the Michelin. However, again, the Mich is ridiculous money at the moment - £72 for a front 90/100!
It will be good to see what you think of the old EF07 compared to the Terra. I seen on FB a couple of people saying the Terra lacked grip compared to the EF07, some even commenting on it when Boltin started using the new tyre from memory.

Hearing great reviews on the Meltzer super soft 6 days but big money and hard to get. Then again nothing seems to be cheap at the moment :rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Just make sure you're on fcked mousses and new tyres Al...

Reactions: Al_Orange
1 - 16 of 16 Posts