KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First crack at a vid on the SMR, made a frame up to hold the Go Pro and went for a ride, had a mate on his Hyper behind me hence I stopped a few times and to check the camera.

Sound is shite so playing with the settings to get it better, enjoy.

YouTube - Quiet Ride

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Wow ... thanks for all the replies ... did I say or do something wrong? :D

·
Registered
178 Posts
I think our English friends are still coming to grips with the scenery and perfect rode surface.Iv'e riding that road and apart from the bloody camper trucks and vans trying there best to kill you it is as is most roads in the South Island motorcycle heaven.Thank's for the vid.Cheers

·
Registered
1,852 Posts
G'day Monsta, I did watch your vid, but felt the sound really let it down. It's something you were aware of, so I didn't post my thoughts about it at the time.

The internet is a tough crowd, as were all spoiled for entertainment. But I would encourage you to keep messing with cam mounts and I look forward to your next vid.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Cheers guys, this is what I was wanting was feedback on mounting, tech tips to sound, vibration etc.

All comments welcome good or bad as the will be taken constructively to make better vids.

·
Registered
2,430 Posts
Next time, could you vid the road climb in the other direction that goes to Queenstown over the pass?
That is a great piece of tarmac!

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Next time, could you vid the road climb in the other direction that goes to Queenstown over the pass?
That is a great piece of tarmac!
That would be the Crown Range, your wish will be granted.:D

So does anyone else have tech tips for good camera location and mounting to avoid wobble etc?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Not a lot of advice on video mounting but please give us some more, how about some of Lindis Pass too, you are really living in heaven there with your choices of roads to ride right on your door step not to mention the skiing/snow boarding, you're one lucky bastard. I'll be riding through Wanaka with some Wellington boys around the first weekend in Dec, weather normally dictates which way we come down from Picton.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Try not mounting it so near to the exhaust or even the rads either. I think some of that distortion/wavey effect is from the heat. I had the same thing when my cam was hanging off the bottom of my handle bars above my rad.

As for sound, i actualy get a better sound quality than that with my go pro but you can still here the wind ofcourse. What door are you using on the case? I use the one with the slots in it on my 525. Have to agree with the other coments though that a seperate mic/sound recorder would give you beeter quality and mount it under the rear mudguard to keep it out of the wind more.

Not sure what to do about the vibrations though.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Monstaman,

I don't know if you have seen the suction cups that come with the car kits you can buy for the go pro. This is a link to ebay uk

http://http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/GOPRO-SUCTION-CUP-QUICK-RELEASE-HERO-CAMERAS-GO-PRO-/130436401027?pt=UK_CamerasPhoto_DigitalCameras_DigitalCameras_JN&hash=item1e5e9d8783

I have one and used it on my 950SM. It works perfectly when stuck to the radiator cowl. The distortion is minimal in this area as you have no vibration from the cans. With the wide angle lens you get the front wheel in the shot and if you reverse it you get good coverage of where you've been also.

If you have a look at the settings on the go pro camera i think (from memory) there is a setting where you can reduce the microphone sensitivity and this works really well at reducing the wind noise so you just hear the bike. I do think though that most of the distortion is from your cans.

The suction cup stays exactly where you put it and has never come loose with me, i usually give it a little wet prior to sticking it on.

Good luck and your roads look a lot like ours in scotland apart from the sunshine !!! :smokin:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts