KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just tried out me new helmet cam (contour 1080p) and got about 40mins of video in full hd. i've used about 2.5 gb on me memory card. transfered it to hard drive and used honestech v.8 vid editor to join the clips together and add some music.

comes to saving the result in full hd and it says it's gonner take 2 1/2 days to render :mad:.

adusted output to 720p and got it down to a day, which it is doing as i speek and the out put file is over twice the size of the input file.

my question to those of you who use editors is how do you do it?

is there away of doing it quicker?, using less hard drive? and is shooting in 1080p not worth it?

i can shout in 720p both in 30fps and 60fps

also how to upload to internet for viewing and is that gonner take a day aswell?

many thanks

Richard

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
reduce your frame rate. may be able to get away with reducing the amount of colours from 'millions' to 'thousands' as well. as stated for the web use a lower res.

·
Registered
526 Posts
You haven't really given a lot of info to go on :D

to get 40mins of HD into just 2.5 gig the camera is compressing on the fly, if your output file is larger then it's probably writing it out as raw avi which will be huge (142meg / sec for 24 fps ish) so your hard disk is probably the limiting factor not the CPU etc.

Check here for the specifications
http://www.google.com/support/youtube/bin/answer.py?answer=132460&topic=16612&hl=en-US

Rendering HD or any video at a decent quality is going to test your hardware to get it done in a decent amount of time.
Faster CPU, you can offload some of the encoding onto your graphics card(s) depending what you have, get a raid 0 disk array with the fastest write disks you can to get the data written out.

I'm not familiar with the program you are using assuming that you just have a normal laptop / home pc type set up, if there's an option to export it as an HD H.246 flash file (.flv) then use that and then upload that to youtube.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
cheers, sorry for the lack of info. it's cause i haven't a clue.

i understand what you're say about compressing on the fly, and burning the output raw. there is a selection of compressing codecs available in the software, as well a different file outputs. mpeg1&2 avi dv-avi and wmv.

my camera shoots in quicktime .mov files, so i guess it has to comvert them to one of the above files as .mov isn't an output option.

there's an option in the camera to adjust bit rate, what effect does this have?

i daren't use my pc too much, as there's another 11hrs worth of rendereing to do and i don't want it to lock up.

i could just use the easy edit software with the camera, but you can't add a sound track

cheers

Richard.

·
Registered
526 Posts
cheers, sorry for the lack of info. it's cause i haven't a clue.

i understand what you're say about compressing on the fly, and burning the output raw. there is a selection of compressing codecs available in the software, as well a different file outputs. mpeg1&2 avi dv-avi and wmv.

my camera shoots in quicktime .mov files, so i guess it has to comvert them to one of the above files as .mov isn't an output option.

i daren't use my pc too much, as there's another 11hrs worth of rendereing to do and i don't want it to lock up.

i could just use the easy edit software with the camera, but you can't add a sound track

cheers

Richard.
http://www.free-codecs.com/download/k_lite_codec_pack.htm

If you download and install the standard version of the above then you will have pretty much all of the standard codecs available. If it can't export to flash then I'd go for HD H.246 or mpeg-2 encoding and mpeg-2 container.

It may take a bit of fiddling about to get it right, what I do in that circumstance is get a 30 sec clip that is representative of what you want to encode then play about with that until you are getting the results / file sizes you want, then encode the full movie when you are happy. Nothing worse than waiting hours and realising it's done it all wrong the audio is all out of sync etc :D

http://www.virtualdub.org/ is a good free tool as well for encoding stuff but there are a lot of options ;)

·
Registered
526 Posts
there's an option in the camera to adjust bit rate, what effect does this have?
Missed that, bitrate is how many bits per second lower bitrate less information captured lower quality result. unless you have a very high end camera or you are seeing issues with the data being captured I would guess that you wouldn't want to reduce it (you could try playing with the bitrate on the encoding of the converter program export tho), Always try and capture in the best quality then use the PC to do any lossy stuff. (not that I have much to show on the motorcycle cam front because the camera I brought a while back was crap :D they have come on a lot in the last year or so).

·
Registered
695 Posts
Best way to do something mate is work from lower settings and convert it and check the quality and slowly adjust each one which you think the video needs more off. how i have always done it.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Im far from an expert at this but ive got the Hero HD and have been recording snowboarding sesh's in full HD. It takes me no time what so ever to edit the footage and thats at full 1080, ive not been doing it to put on the net though so dont know about reducing it to load it up. Ive been using windows movie maker as im yet to get any decent software seeing as ive only just recently got the new laptop. I did get quite a high powered, well in for me it is, laptop with the intention of using it to edit my footage from the cam.

·
Registered
446 Posts
.....codecs...bitrate...1080p....Raid 0 disk array!!! More computing power than Apollo 11, and yer still can't edit it??

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Im far from an expert at this but ive got the Hero HD and have been recording snowboarding sesh's in full HD. It takes me no time what so ever to edit the footage and thats at full 1080, ive not been doing it to put on the net though so dont know about reducing it to load it up. Ive been using windows movie maker as im yet to get any decent software seeing as ive only just recently got the new laptop. I did get quite a high powered, well in for me it is, laptop with the intention of using it to edit my footage from the cam.
trouble is the contour hd records in quicktime .mov format, and movie maker doesn't support that. which is not supprizing as ones microsoft and the other apple.

anyhow, the editor crashed with 4 hours to go and cocked it all up. been doing as suggested and editing small clips and playing around with settings. if i manage to upload anything ill drop a link on.

cheers

Richard

1 - 11 of 11 Posts