KTM Owners Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
at some point in the not to distant future i want to either buy a t5 campervan or convert a van myself, not fussed which to be honest. any thoughts, tips or suggestions as i know feck all about em..:dozey:

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
Plenty of info over on the t5 forum,but watch your language the mods over there are proper cunts,not everybody has your belief in free speech;) I've already been banned twice :)

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
Hi Chris,
my uncle has just converted a t5 van into a camper. He had the lift up roof fitted at a place near Birmingham for very few pounds. Any Questions in the future let me know and i'll ask him, he's very knowledgeable.

·
Registered
3,833 Posts
Buy one thats been done and save your self a ton of work and agro

·
Registered
531 Posts
I thought about this....buy a nice T5 and convert it......

But they are so expensive...I know they are quite good but even £10K seemed to only buy a high mileage van. And a new one sets you back £25K...... for a van!

I gave up :)

·
Registered
7,815 Posts
done abit to mine, put windows in, lined it, leisure battery on split charge, tv/dvd, not gone down fitting a kitchen or bed as i need it for my mountain bikes or motorbikes, i built a small cabinet with a cooker grill that just straps down, and i use a inflatable mattress if i ever sleep in it, if you want any info lmk.. im on brickyard lots of info on there...also had it mapped from 85 to 160

·
Registered
249 Posts
Transporters are mint, best motor I ever had.
They are expensive because they last (fully galvanised body) and have good engines.
The key point is that it's worth getting the best you can nearly afford as they don't depreciate nearly as badly as ALL other commercial vehicles.
Get the best base vehicle you can find and take your time doing it up yourself - contractors will charge a bomb.
Just be realistic about your budget - a cheap van is just that - cheap. For a reason.

·
12,587 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far.

seen a three bridges conversion and was very impressed, budget should be £20,000 ish.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I just brought my 1st T5 last week been after one for a long time picked this little cracker up 78000miles twin sliding doors tail gate twat nav leccy windows alloys. I had never driven one till i brought this best thing i ever did amazing chuggs along at 80mph no probz good on fuel its been mapped 160bhp 247lb ft 20mph in 3rd round bends & pulls all the way though i love it

·
Read Only
2,066 Posts
660 When you get one , buy a Kyham Drive away awning / Tent

This is an old pic, and ( Pikey Chrome mirrors now removed ! )..

Having a full camper conversion no good for me , as need to get x2 bikes in .. and after the ACU sprint the other day , you want bikes in van, with alarm .. and you out side !
Bollocks to camping in winter, but with the fitted Kyham Waterproof carpet, and a couple of huge " big Brother Type " bean bags , its a decent set up in the summer , with access to the van side door / or , drive way to shops for more beers , an it keeps your space .:)

·
Registered
9,323 Posts
Dirty Weekender - Adventure Vans

depends where you are but these are some smart vans! would need to spend a lot of money and personally I'd be tempted to buy something like an autosleeper, use it for a few years and sell it for a couple of grand less than you paid rather than build something totally custom that needs to appeal to your doppelganger!

That said, I'm on my 3rd home build, I never struggled to sell any of them and even if you are not the most gifted at handwork/crafting stuff it is still really satisfying.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.