KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking of swapping up my Gixxer 750 for one, i originally got into bikes because i always wanted one.

Now after a fair bit of research it seems like the 690 would be a fairly good choice for fun/reliability?

I have always liked the 950/990 but they are pretty expensive and also cost a fair bit more to insure.

I'm looking for something a little bit nuts, but at the same time not something that needs constant tlc.

Any recommendations?

Cheers

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
i have always like the 950/990 but they are pretty expensive and also cost a fair but more to insure. I'm looking for something a little bit nuts, but at the same time not something that needs constant tlc. Any recommendations?
950 sm ;)

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
If you have already seen the 950sm and thought against it on price etc then i vote for something like a Duke II (grey engine). Cheapish to buy, easy and cheap to maintain and a hoot.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
You can pick up a good 950SM up for about £4000 now so worth looking , and insurance aint to bad at all . £120 but im getting on a bit :D

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
I see your a Dorset man MEJ, there's a couple of clean low-mileage 950's in Sideways at Dorchester at the moment,
Highly recommended KTM dealer

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Price wise there may not be much difference between a 690 and a 950. You wont regret the bigger bike.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ok I'll just wait until I can afford a 990 then.

So whats the best, I really like the look of the 950 smr.

Is it worth buying 990 instead or is 950 more than capable.

·
Registered
330 Posts
990 if you can afford one.
Never felt any issue regarding the throttle, IMO.
Just a quick, responsive, raw machine.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
I had the Duke II then chopped it in for a GSXR600. Big Mistake! BUT, when i decided i had to get back i went for the 950SM and i can honestly say its made me really like bikes again. Ive pretty much always had a bike but i dont think ive ever missed riding it even after a big ol' riding sesh.

·
Registered
3,791 Posts
MEJ - the 990 vs 950 question has been thrashed to death on here. 950 owners will say 950. 990 owner will say 990..... a search should give you lots of reasons for both...

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
i doubt i will be able to afford the 990 so it will be a 950smr hopefully. want a test ride first though. :)

·
Registered
173 Posts
I asked myself the same question when I was buying, but have to say that I wanted to get the newest bike I could, which in tech terms is the 990. However there is of course the fueling issue to consider (which you may not find a problem with).
But hears the thing... 17 extra BHP, thats what changed my mind :smokin:

So thats it then - doors open, lets see what happens;)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts