KTM Owners Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,

Was out on my bike yesterday and it as soon as I went through the first puddle it died. Then lacked a tick over for the rest of the ride, getting worse the more water I ran through.

Every time we drained the carb it would run well for about five minutes then go boggy again.

One of the guys riding advised me to run two of the breather pipes upwards into the air box. Is this right? Does anyone know a good route and where to place them?

Any suggestions what else I can do?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,132 Posts
Hi there,

Was out on my bike yesterday and it as soon as I went through the first puddle it died. Then lacked a tick over for the rest of the ride, getting worse the more water I ran through.

Every time we drained the carb it would run well for about five minutes then go boggy again.

One of the guys riding advised me to run two of the breather pipes upwards into the air box. Is this right? Does anyone know a good route and where to place them?

Any suggestions what else I can do?

Thanks
hi matty that was me like i said move 2 breathers up in to airbox,drain carb again like i showed u and replace plug cap,catch up with u soon chris

·
Registered
587 Posts
i seen to be having the same problem!! :( my 450 just dont like getting wet! at first i thought it would be the filter as not sure when it was last done, but even after fitting a new filter with freshly oiled and left to dry over night it did the same thing the next day!
could some one pls pls pls explain this breather rerouting to me or post a link that would be smashing!
cheers rick:burnout:

·
Premium Member
31,451 Posts
Could be water getting into the airbox? Try this

·
Registered
587 Posts
cheers kev !
iv got some material sim to that ill give it a go!
is there a breather rerouting on the 450 05 model?

·
Premium Member
31,451 Posts
Yes, all FCR carbs need the two pipes that go vertical routing into the airbox or coiling up under the tank. If all 4 breathers go into water the carb cannot breathe so dont work well.

·
Registered
29 Posts
on the card u have 4 pipes. 2 on each side coming off in like an upside down L shape. the top pipe on each side of the card pull them through the frame and push them into the airbox under the seat, and it will be like a submarine when goin through water. just to make sure u fit the rite 1s put the bike on its side and the 1s that dont piss out fuel are the ones u put in the airbox.

·
Registered
587 Posts
wicked! thanks for that!
just another quick one! is there such a thing as leaving to much filter oil on your air filter?

·
Registered
587 Posts
and would what cause a simular affect as having water pass through??
reason i ask is, as soon as i took my air filter off it ran perfectly!!!:confused:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hi matty that was me like i said move 2 breathers up in to airbox,drain carb again like i showed u and replace plug cap,catch up with u soon chris
Cheers Chris,

I'll give that a go... test it out Sunday on the Blue Bell Hill ride :)

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
my 04 wouldnt run if the air filter had to much oil on it it only needs a little i have 3 filters when i clean em i leave out of the bike to air for a few days to oil soaks out

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
In fact I put quite a bit of oil on my filter as well, it didn't have long to dry out as I did it the night before. So that probably didn't help either! I'm learning..

·
Registered
76 Posts
Im based in kent aswell looking for more guys to go out laning with tried joining the kent trail forum but nobody got back to me with a log in so gave up, i ride blue hill boxley bredhurst and pilgrims way regular

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im based in kent aswell looking for more guys to go out laning with tried joining the kent trail forum but nobody got back to me with a log in so gave up, i ride blue hill boxley bredhurst and pilgrims way regular
Where about's in Kent are you? I only joined a few months ago but I know before that it was a lot harder to join... so have another go :) If not there's a pub meet on the first Wednesday of every month where you can sign up there

1 - 20 of 23 Posts